• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to find a complete, working RT-524

tcruwithme

Does anyone know where I can find a complete, working RT-524 for sale? I have an active search on eBay that hasn't turned up anything. I called Fair Radio Sales, emailed Pvt. Jarhead, and looked on sites like Murphy's Junk. I made posts to a few groups on the facebooks, but nothing has turned up. Any ideas you have are greatly appreciated.

Guyfang

Staff member
Depends on how bad you want one. Last year, I found an add in the Greek Ebay, for several RT524's and other stuff that goes along with it. I haven't look in a long time, so it may, or may NOT be still an option. Give it a shot. Postage will be high, I warn you. But it just depends on if its there, and if you are willing to pay the price.

Guyfang

Staff member
Just found this in the German ebay. $2500.

The below listed is also in Germany, but much lower price.

Here is another.

Last edited:

tcruwithme

Just found this in the German ebay. $2500.

The below listed is also in Germany, but much lower price.

Here is another.
Thanks Guyfang. The Reforger listing is no longer available as is the Army Radio Sales listing. I already have an R442 unit, so I'm not exited to pay two grand for a 524 + 442 package. No luck on the Greek eBay (or for any RT-524 listed in all of Europe). I'll keep looking. Thanks again.

tcruwithme

Keep in mind that the RT-246/524 weighs in at 62 pounds so shipping from a place near you will save you a bundle!
Yep. That would be great if I can find one sort of close. However, I suspect I'll have to climb a mountain, fight through a forest fire, battle grizzly bears, and give my left nut to find one.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last time I looked Pvt. Jarhead was out of business. I got a couple of 524's from him many years ago. Never did install them and now I'm starting to downsize my fleet. It will be a biotch to get to them in the CONEX. Do you have all the related gear to actually install them? Radio mount, power cable, antenna coax, frequency switching cable, antenna and correct base, sugar scoop, etc.

tcruwithme

Last time I looked Pvt. Jarhead was out of business. I got a couple of 524's from him many years ago. Never did install them and now I'm starting to downsize my fleet. It will be a biotch to get to them in the CONEX. Do you have all the related gear to actually install them? Radio mount, power cable, antenna coax, frequency switching cable, antenna and correct base, sugar scoop, etc.
I did send Doug at Pvt. Jarhead a message a few days ago, and I received an auto-response that said, "We will not be answering emails from May 21 through May 25." So, it will be interesting to see if they are still in business. I bought a couple things from him a few years ago. I have an AS-3900 antenna and base, an AS-1729 antenna (AT-1095 + AS-1730) and base (MX-6707), a sugar scoop and offset bracket, a fender mount, a MT-1029 and sponson plate, an R442 with mount and sponson plate, an AM-1708B, two H-370 headsets, two C-10456 control boxes, an MX-7778A, a couple of the correct bail-out cables, an M-80A/U mic, a CX-4722 antenna control cable, a couple 4' CX-4723 cables, a CX-4720 power cable, a 24' CG-3856 antenna cable (may need one more for the R442), and two 8' TR-4723 cables. I've been piecing all this together for years, and now I need the star of the show.

Last edited:

tcruwithme

Ok, here's an update. Doug at Pvt. Jarhead did respond to my e-mail, and they are still in business. He had a good RT-524 for sale at $400 + shipping, but I already made a deal with a seller in one of my Facebook groups. So, Pvt. jarhead still has one if anyone is looking. I made postings to a couple Facebook groups such as "M35 Deuce and a Half" and "Army Radio," and a seller in MA sent me a PM with an offer. He had three RT-524 radios and needed to "thin the herd." I received the radio through the mail on June 8 and unpacked it today. It will be a while before I get to installing everything in my 1984 M35A2C. Thanks everyone for your help. I'll likely have more questions when I get to this project.

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Just realized who you were, Duh! You guys still out visiting the west coast.
I hope to be at the National up in IN and a week later at the WI show. Take care, Dave

tcruwithme

Just realized who you were, Duh! You guys still out visiting the west coast.
I hope to be at the National up in IN and a week later at the WI show. Take care, Dave
Hey Dave. We made a long weekend of our West Coast trip and got back late in the evening on Monday, June 7. I missed the last three WI shows but will be at this year's WI show. Where will you be set up?

Wile E. Coyote

Ok, here's an update. Doug at Pvt. Jarhead did respond to my e-mail, and they are still in business. He had a good RT-524 for sale at $400 + shipping, but I already made a deal with a seller in one of my Facebook groups. So, Pvt. jarhead still has one if anyone is looking. I made postings to a couple Facebook groups such as "M35 Deuce and a Half" and "Army Radio," and a seller in MA sent me a PM with an offer. He had three RT-524 radios and needed to "thin the herd." I received the radio through the mail on June 8 and unpacked it today. It will be a while before I get to installing everything in my 1984 M35A2C. Thanks everyone for your help. I'll likely have more questions when I get to this project.
Looks like a nice, clean set. It's also an 'A' model and *should* have silicon power transistors vs. the earlier germanium ones which is a very good thing.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i have one for sale.. with base not sure if it works but it came out a m38 and looks great. this is a old post so not sure if your still looking.. i also have another one in not so good shape

Wile E. Coyote

Just a note to potential buyers, Sgt Jarhead's main radio guy and good friend passed away last month so the availability of these radios might be dropping. There just aren't many of us that know how to fix them left!
Eh, that sucks. I've been referring a bunch of people looking for RT-524s and PRC-25/77 on Facebook to him for a few years.

You don't stop to realize very often that your 'modern' military radio is 50 years old, and the 26 year olds that used to work on them are now 76 year olds. It's...sobering.

Guyfang

Staff member
I had a great "stable" of Radio repair guys in the 549th. Maintenance Company. 3-4 guys, lead by an extremely able SSG, (who was a reporter for Stars and stripes before enlisting in the Army) who could fix ANYTHING. That's almost 37 years ago. So at max, they are 55-60 years old. But still, yes, its sobering. I wonder what they are all doing.................................................

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bumping an old thread because I found a source. I've never ordered from the site, but military-spareparts.com has RT-524 working, tested models for ~$650 including shipping to the US (they're in Greece).

Again, I'm not endorsing this site. I just found them through a search, emailed and they told me they have them and the price.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks