• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to find a starter project for a good price?

spartan22

Hi i just joined the forum. I am in highschool but come from a family where almost everyone in the family is in the military so i have always been fascinated by humvees and wanted one. I work on my truck all the time and alot of my friends have relatives who are mechanics and help us with projects. So i Am wondering where do you guys find your vehicles? i want a hmmwv that is a project but not a complete project something a beginner could pull off. is it possible to find one that runs but is in rough shape for under 7k. After football and hunting i have nothing to really do after school so I am getting ready for a project and would love one of these. Any help is appreciated.

nattieleather

Hi....welcome to the madness of military vehicles. I doubt you'll find a HMMWV for under 7K that is not a complete ground up restoration project. Even if you somehow stumbled across one for that price you will put double that in parts and materials into it to make it road worthy. The sad news is that HMMWV were made expensive and will always stay that way IMHO. You can keep an eye on the classified section here on Steel Soldiers, there is also ebay and even craigslist. You may get lucky at some point and find your diamond in the rough. You might want to look at one of the HMMWV older brothers like the M37 Dodge, the M715 Kaiser or even some 1/4 ton M38, M38A1 or a M151 to start you MV journey and when you have more money in your pocket look at getting the HMMWV. Good luck with you hunt and future project.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spartan,
Buy a lottery tcket. When you win you can buy two humvees. . Seriously, a decent humvees it way to expensive, especialy for someone in high school. Buy a house first. But if you really want a MV to wrench on and play with get a truck. M35 or a M923. They can be had for well under $7000 and are fun to operate and maintain. Welcome to the SS site. Just think, buy your first MV while you're in high school, and by the time you reach the ripe old age of your average SS member, your collection will be vast.
Keep us informed.
JC

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just make sure your insurance company will insure you for a "big truck" Some wont for people under 25. And be mindful of CDL/airbrake stuff in your state, if any applies.

Aerialfred

Hi i just joined the forum. I am in highschool but come from a family where almost everyone in the family is in the military so i have always been fascinated by humvees and wanted one. I work on my truck all the time and alot of my friends have relatives who are mechanics and help us with projects. So i Am wondering where do you guys find your vehicles? i want a hmmwv that is a project but not a complete project something a beginner could pull off. is it possible to find one that runs but is in rough shape for under 7k. After football and hunting i have nothing to really do after school so I am getting ready for a project and would love one of these. Any help is appreciated.
Welcome aboard!

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a HMMWV body and frame for sale for under 10k, didn't get any bites....usual tire kickers.
if you want to build a truck up, find a body...figure 5-12k, then get a frame...I find them all the the time, heck, you can build your own, 2 frame rails, 4 cross members and mounts, upper and lower A-arms...not much in a HMMWV frame and rolling chassis...it's very basic, especially if you buy used takeouts....which I have a ton of leftovers from my builds.
but again, the body is the hardest part to find.
i just picked up an M1113 Body on a rolling frame with everything for 9k, the body needs a deck panal....but it's cosmetic.
it has 2 diffs, 4 geared hubs, all the brakes, even a 6.5NA motor....But 7k will get you started....may I suggest Joining the Military? If you are in HS you are getting of age.....I joined at 17 and now have almost 30 years between the Amry and the Air Force....

1800 Diesel

I hate to even mention this but saw today that QTY (52) HMMWVs were sold at auction today in Alabama but these will require demil--basically total destruction... :( :( Leave it to our gov'mt to sell something for scrap that would have otherwise have buyers waiting in line to purchase..... Can't figure out why you can buy all the 5-ton trucks you could want, but can't buy a HMMWV....

I'm usually on the Aux Equipment page, but checked over here to see if anyone else noticed the sale today... I'm with you on wanting to get one (for my son), but it appears that day will never come unless we can get our congressmen involved....and getting them to do anything....well maybe that's being optimistic....

Kevin

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep....that's been a topic already on the G503 site....HMMWV's are not some golden egg...they can be had for cheap...or at least what I think is cheap...15k on up...I've bought them, they need hella work though.
look at m151's, they are now 12-17k, some times more for mint ones. Look at MB's and GPW's, they go for 15-25k
one thing I find fascinating is the amount of parts for sale for hmmwv's, a crap load...they are more plentiful then ever and the price keeps going up....go figure.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know a local fella that found one for $10K, but he's already invested about another $5k in it and it will undergo an engine transplant in the next few weeks to put it back on the road, so more $ out of pocket. Remember what HMMWV really stands for - High Maintenance, Money Wasting Vehicle! Get a deuce or 5-ton and bob it if you have to to please the insurance folks. You'll get a lot more driving time for your money!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks