• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to find differential lockers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M-1028

There was one limited slip I read about years ago that worked with gears instead of clutches. Is that what the Gleason diff works off of? I think that would be the "hot ticket".
Detroit truetrac uses helical cut gears instead of clutches. It works really well, even off road it works almost like a locker unless you pull a tire. Only problem we had with one was the ring gear bolts backed out even after being torqued with red loc tite. I'm sure that wasn't caused by the diff.

rustystud

I guess you are correct, maybe ford, Chevy, jeep, Toyota and a couple other manufacturers should stop selling vehicles with locking diffs. I've driven a couple hundred miles on solid ice, my buddies truck, 2013 f 250 had the locker engaged the whole time. Tried it with it off and the truck wouldn't move. How is a good limited slip any different than a locker on ice? Seems to me that in a severe lack of traction situation the limited slip is basically locked.
Does you being in the industry longer make you smarter or better than me? I build 4x4 vehicles that deal specifically with locking diffs, if my knowledge is worth less than yours because I've been doing it for a shorter period, that's fine. I'll keep installing lockers and welding diffs and you can tell everyone how they made the wrong choice.
When you come out and say to someone who has years of experience " I have more experience then you " you better be able to back it up. By the way did you read what "EATON" wrote about the "Detroit Locker" that they manufacture ? If you did, you would have read that they only recommend using it on vehicles that spend less then 25% on pavement. They go on to say about the extra load on driveline parts. As far as all the other manufacturers using "Lockers" they don't. They use "limited slip" differentials. A big difference ! I still see that you never supported your claim with any evidence, at least I presented the actual paper from the manufacturer. To Merunimog404, the Germans are not the "end all be all". After all we won the war !!! And if you would care to research, the Unimog is an "offroad" vehicle made for the German military . If you try and come back with "they drive them on pavement" I'll say " that's why they jack them up so high to be able to drive over VW's " Also I'm sure it is hard to drive in all that frozen slush you get in Reno !
And as far as the rest of you guys go, this was suppose to be an informational blog site, not "lets see who we can flame on next" site. I gave good, accurate, and backed up information an was slammed by a youg buck seeking to take down the older dude, because we all know that older guys don't know what they are talking about ! " hey grandpa wake up !!! " So this will be my last post on this matter. Besides I go into surgery on the 28th to fix my "last spinal fusion". Which I got through years of working on differentials, and transmissions and all that other fun stuff .
Nice to hear from you gimppyrobb, it's nice to know someone actually read what I wrote and got something out of it ie: Gleason/Torson Differential. Also, where you not looking for the TM9-8617 Operating Manual for the M35 winch ? I have an original and if you want, I will upload it after I get out of surgery.

rustystud

Lockers can cause loss of control. On newer over the road trucks, there is a differential in the front rear of a tamden that will allow the front or rear axle not to be powered just like side to side. They usually have an air switch for "Interlock" which locks the front and rear rears together. This gives you two wheel drive one front tire and one rear axle. And yes lockers are put in also. The key is to operate sensibly. These are big trucks. With lockers you my go further but when stuck, you are stuck. Tow bills can be in the thousands. Damage to your rig is expensive and damage to environment is detrimental to our hobby. A good friend told me during a discussion on needing 4x4 in the woods that "If you need 4x4, then you should not be there". I said it is fun
Brian
The component your talking about is the "compensator" and yes it is a differential that splits the power between the front and rear differentials. The most famous that I know of is the Rockwell SQHD for 18 wheelers. At one shop I worked at, I was required to build up 4 (minimum) of them a day. Or 3 medium transmissions or 2 large transmissions or 2 large differentials or etc.

Last edited:

M-1028

Some Toyota Tacoma's and 4 runners and a lot of Ford trucks come with electric locking rear diffs. Jeep Rubicons and Dodge Powerwagons have electric lockers front and rear. GM has equipped there trucks with the Govern lock, Eaton G80 mechanical locker for something around 20 years, there new trucks still have them.
I'm sorry you feel like I'm trying to "slam" you or "take you down". Just giving my opinion and experience, like others said, arguing on the internet is pointless. Good luck with your surgery!!

Mercunimog404

Banned
When you come out and say to someone who has years of experience " I have more experience then you " you better be able to back it up. By the way did you read what "EATON" wrote about the "Detroit Locker" that they manufacture ? If you did, you would have read that they only recommend using it on vehicles that spend less then 25% on pavement. They go on to say about the extra load on driveline parts. As far as all the other manufacturers using "Lockers" they don't. They use "limited slip" differentials. A big difference ! I still see that you never supported your claim with any evidence, at least I presented the actual paper from the manufacturer. To Merunimog404, the Germans are not the "end all be all". After all we won the war !!! And if you would care to research, the Unimog is an "offroad" vehicle made for the German military . If you try and come back with "they drive them on pavement" I'll say " that's why they jack them up so high to be able to drive over VW's " Also I'm sure it is hard to drive in all that frozen slush you get in Reno !
And as far as the rest of you guys go, this was suppose to be an informational blog site, not "lets see who we can flame on next" site. I gave good, accurate, and backed up information an was slammed by a youg buck seeking to take down the older dude, because we all know that older guys don't know what they are talking about ! " hey grandpa wake up !!! " So this will be my last post on this matter. Besides I go into surgery on the 28th to fix my "last spinal fusion". Which I got through years of working on differentials, and transmissions and all that other fun stuff .
Nice to hear from you gimppyrobb, it's nice to know someone actually read what I wrote and got something out of it ie: Gleason/Torson Differential. Also, where you not looking for the TM9-8617 Operating Manual for the M35 winch ? I have an original and if you want, I will upload it after I get out of surgery.
Well winning the war is not proof that we make better equipment :). I have a Unimog and I drive it on the road.
#1 it has selectable lockers.
#2 I have owned a truck that had lockers front and rear. It's still on the road 12 years later.
#3 what in the world are you talking about with jacking the Unimog up? It's that high from the factory and it has nothing to do with driving over a vw.
#4. What is it with your obsession with slush. Slush isn't hard to drive in. Ice is a lot more slippery than slush.
We get, with the exception of this winter lots of snow and ice here in northern Nevada.

rustystud

Well winning the war is not proof that we make better equipment :). I have a Unimog and I drive it on the road.
#1 it has selectable lockers.
#2 I have owned a truck that had lockers front and rear. It's still on the road 12 years later.
#3 what in the world are you talking about with jacking the Unimog up? It's that high from the factory and it has nothing to do with driving over a vw.
#4. What is it with your obsession with slush. Slush isn't hard to drive in. Ice is a lot more slippery than slush.
We get, with the exception of this winter lots of snow and ice here in northern Nevada.
I decided to post again as I didn't know much about the "unimog". So after reading up on it I found out that they use a locking axle system that literally locks the axles to each other. I have worked on other systems like this and I assure you it is NOT a "Locker" style differential. And M-1028, no vehicle uses "Detroit Lockers" in there vehicles from the manufacturer ( if I'm wrong, someone show me who does use them and I will retract my statement) There is no such thing as an "electric locker". Lockers are mechanical .
Maybe you guys are confused about a limited slip versus Detroit locker, and are juxtapositioning the two. The new vehicles are using a type of air-locker but with electric power, just like the old 2 speed differentials used (and some new). The "unimog" was designed as an offroad vehicle first and foremost. The German military then decided later to adopt this vehicle to a combat roll. Don't get me wrong, the "unimog" is a wonderful vehicle ! It was just not designed to travel on roads that much. I will include a website that confirms what I have written. www.unimogcentre.com . You guys really need to understand what the difference is between "limited slip" and "Detroit Locker" and a "locking Axle" systems are . You guys are talking apples and oranges here. And Mercunimog404 the reference to the war and VW's was a joke ! Slush and ice is the most deadliest combination to drive in. Look it up !!! And I will say it one more time Mercunimog404, the "unimog" does NOT have "Lockers" !!! Get your references straight.
Sorry if my statements are all over the place, the meds are kicking in and my mind is all over the place right now.
I forgot to mention that the "Eaton Governor" differential is NOT a "Detroit Locker" !! I have rebuilt many of these "Eatons" so I know. As a side note the "Eaton" governor lock is not a very good differential, very high breakage.

Last edited:

Mercunimog404

Banned
I decided to post again as I didn't know much about the "unimog". So after reading up on it I found out that they use a locking axle system that literally locks the axles to each other. I have worked on other systems like this and I assure you it is NOT a "Locker" style differential. And M-1028, no vehicle uses "Detroit Lockers" in there vehicles from the manufacturer ( if I'm wrong, someone show me who does use them and I will retract my statement) There is no such thing as an "electric locker". Lockers are mechanical .
Maybe you guys are confused about a limited slip versus Detroit locker, and are juxtapositioning the two. The new vehicles are using a type of air-locker but with electric power, just like the old 2 speed differentials used (and some new). The "unimog" was designed as an offroad vehicle first and foremost. The German military then decided later to adopt this vehicle to a combat roll. Don't get me wrong, the "unimog" is a wonderful vehicle ! It was just not designed to travel on roads that much. I will include a website that confirms what I have written. www.unimogcentre.com . You guys really need to understand what the difference is between "limited slip" and "Detroit Locker" and a "locking Axle" systems are . You guys are talking apples and oranges here. And Mercunimog404 the reference to the war and VW's was a joke ! Slush and ice is the most deadliest combination to drive in. Look it up !!! And I will say it one more time Mercunimog404, the "unimog" does NOT have "Lockers" !!! Get your references straight.
Sorry if my statements are all over the place, the meds are kicking in and my mind is all over the place right now.
I forgot to mention that the "Eaton Governor" differential is NOT a "Detroit Locker" !! I have rebuilt many of these "Eatons" so I know. As a side note the "Eaton" governor lock is not a very good differential, very high breakage.
Wait. So the axle shafts are locked together, but it's not a locker. Hhhmmmm. That's different. What they do is turn it into a spool. But it's non the less locked. I'm not even sure where limited slips even came from in the conversation. A limited slip is a differential as is a Detroit locker. They allow differential action in a turn. But that's where the similarities end. I'm very familiar with lockers. As I've said I had a ramcharger that had lockers front and rear. I couldn't turn them off and on. They were locked just like the Detroit in the 1008. My Unimog as lockers. Even in the site you posted sad they come with locking differentials.

SP5

The basic operation of a Detroit is compleatly opposite to that of a TruTrac. In a Detroit, the axles are always locked together, unless there is enough traction on both wheels to force an unlocking operation, such as a tight turn on pavement. In a wide sweeping turn, the diff between tire travel distance is made-up by tire scrub.
In a TruTrac, the axles are always un-locked, unless one tire looses traction, then the gears slide to engage both axles together, and then only if enough input torque is being applied.
A "posi" unit is neither fish, nor fowl, it depends on enough torque application to overcome spring pressurs in order to force clutch discs together, and as such, the torque transfer range is rather limited.
The Detriot/ARB/E-Locker/TruTrac/etc, designs are not capable of any kind of varible torque application between wheels, they are either on, or off.
A Posi type design attempts to overcome this, but only with limited sucess, depending upon clutch pressure.
The Gleason design is the ONLY design ever invented that is capable of continously varible torque application between wheels, in which both wheels are always driven, ie, there is no lock, or un-lock, operation is always constant.

rustystud

Wait. So the axle shafts are locked together, but it's not a locker. Hhhmmmm. That's different. What they do is turn it into a spool. But it's non the less locked. I'm not even sure where limited slips even came from in the conversation. A limited slip is a differential as is a Detroit locker. They allow differential action in a turn. But that's where the similarities end. I'm very familiar with lockers. As I've said I had a ramcharger that had lockers front and rear. I couldn't turn them off and on. They were locked just like the Detroit in the 1008. My Unimog as lockers. Even in the site you posted sad they come with locking differentials.
OK one more time. In the "unimog" there is a sliding gear on the axle itself, that when engaged is locked into the carrier housing becoming at that point a "spool" differential. A true "locker" which by the way is a trade name like "Band-Aid" or "posi" (GM) locks and unlocks as the difference of the left and right wheel come and go out of synch, as in a turn. The GM built 1008 does not have a "Detroit Locker" it has a "limited slip" differential . I truly believe now that you guys who are arguing with me do not understand all the different types of differentials out there and are assuming that locker describes all types of torque equalizing differentials. I am not being sarcastic when I say do some reading on the many types of differentials that are made. Then you will understand what I have been trying to say to you all along.

phil2968

...The GM built 1008 does not have a "Detroit Locker" it has a "limited slip" differential ...
Screen shot off of my phone of the 34TM. Sure looks like a "no-spin". The description of all the CUCV's except the 1009 list a no-spin. We all know who built them. Eaton. A locker by any other name is still a locker.
Some of the truck CUCV's did come with a limited slip in the front.

Attachments

mudguppy

... A true "locker" ... locks and unlocks as the difference of the left and right wheel come and go out of synch, as in a turn. ...
This is simply not true. So you're saying the ARB air locker, mechanically shifted lockers like the Ox-Locker, numerous electronically actuated eLockers, and all the new electronically actuated lockers from the light truck and Jeep OEMs are not actually lockers because they don't lock and unlock throughout a turn??????

No. In all that research of different differentials, what you're describing is the difference between an automatic vs an on-demand locking differential. An automatic locking diff behaves on its own, sensing traction and loss of traction situations. On-demand locking diff retain differential traits until signaled by the driver or other system to lock.

Just because an on-demand locker changes to a 'spool-like' system doesn't mean it isn't a differential. That just isn't a logical position to defend.

... which by the way is a trade name like "Band-Aid" or "posi" (GM)...
Really? What trade name coined this phrase? I agree that 'posi' is a GM thing that gets infamously mis-applied, but what product was coined 'locker'?

... Why do you think the Military has went with the "gleason/torson" differential ? ...
Honestly, if the basis for any 'discussion' is to equate the decision of a defense contractor and the person in charge of signing the contract that day to that of a decision based on logical reason, good engineering practices, or purpose via experience is purely arbitrary.

Mercunimog404

Banned
OK one more time. In the "unimog" there is a sliding gear on the axle itself, that when engaged is locked into the carrier housing becoming at that point a "spool" differential. A true "locker" which by the way is a trade name like "Band-Aid" or "posi" (GM) locks and unlocks as the difference of the left and right wheel come and go out of synch, as in a turn. The GM built 1008 does not have a "Detroit Locker" it has a "limited slip" differential . I truly believe now that you guys who are arguing with me do not understand all the different types of differentials out there and are assuming that locker describes all types of torque equalizing differentials. I am not being sarcastic when I say do some reading on the many types of differentials that are made. Then you will understand what I have been trying to say to you all along.
The 1008 has a Detroit locker. It does not have a limited slip. I know what my Unimog has.

rustystud

Screen shot off of my phone of the 34TM. Sure looks like a "no-spin". The description of all the CUCV's except the 1009 list a no-spin. We all know who built them. Eaton. A locker by any other name is still a locker.
Some of the truck CUCV's did come with a limited slip in the front.
Phil2968 I was wrong, the 1008 I owned had a 14 bolt with a limited slip differential, So I assumed all the rest did too. Mia Culpa .

M-1028

This is simply not true. So you're saying the ARB air locker, mechanically shifted lockers like the Ox-Locker, numerous electronically actuated eLockers, and all the new electronically actuated lockers from the light truck and Jeep OEMs are not actually lockers because they don't lock and unlock throughout a turn??????

No. In all that research of different differentials, what you're describing is the difference between an automatic vs an on-demand locking differential. An automatic locking diff behaves on its own, sensing traction and loss of traction situations. On-demand locking diff retain differential traits until signaled by the driver or other system to lock.

Just because an on-demand locker changes to a 'spool-like' system doesn't mean it isn't a differential. That just isn't a logical position to defend.
You hit the nail on the head. I'm guessing the only differential that can be called a locker is a Detroit? I never said any vehicles came with DETROIT LOCKERS, I said LOCKERS, as in a LOCKING differential.

Here is the definition of a locking differential on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locking_differential

rustystud

Really? What trade name coined this phrase? I agree that 'posi' is a GM thing that gets infamously mis-applied, but what product was coined 'locker'?

Honestly, if the basis for any 'discussion' is to equate the decision of a defense contractor and the person in charge of signing the contract that day to that of a decision based on logical reason, good engineering practices, or purpose via experience is purely arbitrary.
Mudguppy, what does differential mean ? It means to differentiate , that means it is responding to two or more things, understand ? A "Spool" does NOT differentiate since it cannot turn, it is mechanically fixed, it is unable to turn.
The term "Locker" came from the "Detroit Locker" a brand name now owned by "Eaton" A lot of people use the term interchangeably with any type of limited torque differential, but that is incorrect. Nobody uses the term "automatic" differential, if they do show me !
I never said these other types of limited slip differentials where not "differentials" They all are except the true "spool" rearends. Read what I posted and quite making up stuff. By the way what do you do for a living ? All you guys posting your "opinions" without backing up anything you say is really getting old. At least "Phil2968" backed up his position. Why don't you "Mudguppy" .
And as far as the military using an item, considering all the research and development that goes into a military vehicle, I would say that, that is a good selling point "the military uses this item" as I think any rational person would, but not you of course Mudguppy.
Now this topic has gotten WAY beyond what I originally said, that "Detroit Lockers" are hard on equipment which I proved. (read the Pamphlet from Eaton I posted) Enough said, all you want-to-be "Master Mechanics" can leave it alone now as I will be in surgery tomorrow and won't be home for awhile. Or better yet, spend 4 years going to school and apprenticeship and then take the "ASE' tests which only take 6 days and then add 32 years of experience and then we can carryon an intelligent conversation about all the differences of differentials .
I expect to know what you do for a living "Mudguppy" when I get back next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks