• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to get PS pump for LDS motor?

DanMartin

Anyone have any good suppliers for NOS or rebuild engine-mounted Hydraulic pumps for multi-fuel motors (mounts to the timing cover)? Also a good source for reservoirs (prefer military stocker off 800 series truck)?

I'm having difficulty locating one for my Hydro-assist steering project. I'm looking for all of the parts for the pump, including the drive gear (not just a replacement pump) as I'm installing one on a motor without said pump currently.

I think I can manage the rest (box, formed lines and fittings, hard lines, etc), but need the pump and reservoir to complete the project.

Any help greatly appreciated...

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That pump sure is a hard to find item and most probably the most expensive part of your project! But don't give up, keep searching. Good luck!

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
You could instead mount a pulley powered pump to run off the belts. I was thinking about this due the affordability of it. Also another advantage would be you would be able to actually determine the pump PSI and GPM to better match the pump to the gear.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try Antelope Valley Truck Parts. Ask for Norm. I just bought a rebuild kit for my early style Ross on my M52A2. I've been pumping power steering fluid out of the gear box vent. Also bought a valvle grind set, have a bad head gasket to fix in a couple weeks as well. Picks of the work will be posted.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Their site says "Power Steering Unit 1175.00" WOW! Though that could be an old price for the air assist since I found it not in the multifuel or 5ton section, but the Reo deuce section.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Oh the specs for that saginaw steering gear are:
Max. Pressure: 1500psi
Flow: 3.75gpm - 5gpm

devilman96

Ya need to pull the info from the data tab on that pump and make sure it is set up for the right flow and PSI settings... If not changing the vein and ring cost more than buying the right pump does, IF you can find them... Ask me how I know this!!!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me look tonight when I get home I think I have a NOS resevoir in the box from the Augusta auction.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
also if you use the lds pump, plug the 1/4" fitting on the rear of the pump as it is not needed. the designers thought they needed a seal vent but also tied it to the suction internally so they were really just over complicating things and adding the possibility of even more problems.

devilman96

also if you use the lds pump, plug the 1/4" fitting on the rear of the pump as it is not needed. the designers thought they needed a seal vent but also tied it to the suction internally so they were really just over complicating things and adding the possibility of even more problems.
Thats actually a flow line for the pumps internal bypass but yes it can be blocked.

Based on information posted before, mostly by myself and gringeltaube there is more than one version of this pump floating around so the TM specs are not accurate. The only way to be sure is to get the tag information off of the pump and cross it with the info in the attached PDF, if the tag is missing you have to disasemble the pump and take measurments from the veins, orface and rings... info learned the hard (and expensive) way!!!!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks