• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to learn about radios/HAMs

85CUCVtom

So the whole amateur radio/HAM thing has always intrigued me, I don't know anybody personally who is into it, is there a good source I can read up and learn some very basics like terminology, types of radios, uses, etc?

firefinder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The licensing exam questions are all public domain (there are 100's of questions in the test pool) and actually make for good study material. Gordon West, ARRL and several other organizations have published excellent training manuals. QRZ is a supper resource! Use QRZ to locate me or any one else with an amatuer call sign.

Feel free to PM or email.

I will be glad to help you find resources in your area to assist you with your license, etc. By the way, the Dayton Ohio Hamfest will be May 15 - 17, 2015. Dayton is a huge expo for everything radio. Usually a lot of surplus military radio equipment there also.

KB9YSA

I would be interested in learning about different models and types of military radios used over the years and their availability to purchase, Im watching auctions on ebay and have notifications from ebay when certian radios are listed.

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the whole amateur radio/HAM thing has always intrigued me, I don't know anybody personally who is into it, is there a good source I can read up and learn some very basics like terminology, types of radios, uses, etc?
Here is a link for you to take practice exams after you do some reading. http://www.eham.net/exams/ It helped me ace the test.

Bert

ke5eua

Look up the no nonsense study guide. The ham that made them breaks it down in a way that just makes sense. I used his general version when I upgraded.

Also, arrl.org

Lookup local clubs and go to a meeting.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which prompts me to mention that there will some good (at least I think so) news announced about the Georgia Rally.

ke5eua

Which prompts me to mention that there will some good (at least I think so) news announced about the Georgia Rally.
If I can pry my 897d from my buddy I might setup a gota station. I could still do it with the 857d in the truck and just pull the head, mic, and speaker out the cab but I planed on having the 2 meter radio tied into my external speakers so everyone could hear.

I will have my 817nd and a wire dipole if anyone wants to try their hand at qrp.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are really interested in becoming a ham radio operator, do it the right way. Find a local club in your area (they are everywhere) at arrl.org. Go to a meeting or two, and just start talking with other hams. Next, study for and take the technician class operator exam. There are 8 year olds with tech licenses, it's easy to get. It will allow you to operate on 6m, 2m, and a few other entry-level bands, and get you started. Some military radios for our vehicles are in the 6-meter bands, so if your only goal in this hobby is to operate a vehicular military radio, you're all set by this point!

Whether or not you continue in the hobby by getting higher-level licenses like the General or Extra Class, or by studying CW Morse Code, which is optional nowadays, is up to you. The higher a license you get, the more you gotta KNOW your electronics. But the higher a license you get, the more benefits you get too, like more bands to operate on, and more modes you can operate in (RTTY, SSTV, etc). It's a huge world, the ham radio hobby, all sorts of stuff you can do.

First step is go to a radio club meeting, and talk to them about all sorts of stuff. They'll be happy to help you on your way.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be nice to see another Ham on the site. Good luck. I still like code but it's a dying talent.

Mark

N1FTC

85CUCVtom

I checked out the sites you guys mentioned, pretty good information out there.

I am gonna look for some local clubs and start there along with the study guides. It seems like there is a lot to learn.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It seems like there is a lot to learn.
You have no idea. Some have been in the hobby for 50 years and have barely scratched the surface as to what can be learned in radio propagation and engineering.

Want an eye-opener? Get a book on radio design and engineering from the 1930s or 1940s. By the time you get mid-way through Chapter 2, your brain is oozing out your ears. Nothing was dumbed-down then, the radio books explained EVERY DETAIL.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks