• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to look for M35s/M109s?

jimmbrooks

Those were great times, seeing dozens on the GL lots at a time. Hope you find what you want!

oh gosh I'm so mad I missed out on those days, sometimes being responsible and raising a family vs being selfish is a zinger. until you remember why and see those kids happy and healthy.... but I am sad i missed out on those opportunities

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Government Liquidation lost the contract to Gov Planet. They still sell straight from the govt, but deuces for the most part are done. You may keep an eye on GSA auctions.gov ; They sell from places like the forest service ETC and you may have better luck finding one there. I believe your best bet is buying one from a private seller though....

LwCwb08

Not sure where you're at in the US, but I'll have an M109 van body for sale here in the next week or so in NJ. Can't help ya with a deuce the moment... my MTVR is off limits😂

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you. I'll continue to do that. I had thought that GL had gotten Into trouble or maybe the military stopped selling deuces but maybe that was a rumor I was trying fo find the answer to. To find out that all of them have dried up...wow I am late to the game.
The military sold off the last big batches of deuces in FY 2010, since then it's been onesies and twozies scattered all over the USA, abd GL no longer does vehicles - Iron Planet has that contract. Your best bet is the for sale forum here, then Craigslist, and then just driving around looking, esp in more rural settings.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The DMRO system worked fine
I concur.. For those unfamiliar, the sealed bid and listing method of all four DRMO's I interacted with had no pictures of items, and it was all done through the mail.. It was very frustrating when you'd get the "bid results" letter and find out the winner outbid you by just a "few" bucks relative to the size of the lot, no way to counter-bid ... Back then, they listed winning bidders by name or company and everyone had a known nemesis or two, or more.. It was a great system for those located close enough to go inspect the items, or had an "inside" person.. Had only one problem at a DRMO, and it was taken care of promptly.. A cat D7 winch was listed "Condition Code A with Crate".. After a hefty sealed bid and 4-1/2 hours on the road, I arrive to a winch with busted mounts. :mad: Nothing but a ship's anchor and was not gonna take a chance on internals either.. The site guy didn't like my refusing it, so I went to the office and the head cheese took a walk with me to look.. "It should've been listed as Code Q , sorry for the mistake, I will withdraw the item"..

Although I picked up a pair of stencil machines there the same day, the winch was the only thing that would've made the 11-hour day trip worthwhile... It was the first and last D7 winch I would ever see available without an entire dozer attached, and I didn't need, or have the $, for another dozer.. I do miss the DRMO's though, there were four of them within 1-1/2 hours of here and each of them handled the entire array of vehicles, equipment, and gear.. But ever since the DRMO's disappeared and GL & subsequent others took over, vehicle sales are at locations more than 4-hours away from here, which is a huge disadvantage, especially with fuel since the early 2000s .. Seems silly whenever I saw trucks and equipment being hauled out of nearby area installations (former DRMO's), taken to the major bases many hours (or states) away, only for several to be hauled back into their former areas by auction winners .. Case in point, 2 days/nights hauling two GL M818's from central PA that had been based at a military installation (and former DRMO) in northern VT just 90mins north of me.. Or spending 2 days/nights hauling two GL M35A2's and a M109A3 out of Ft. Drum, to later learn these trucks came from southeastern-NY units that would've previously been disposed at the former Watervliet DRMO, just 90mins south of me.. Or Plattsburgh, and Schenectady too..Needless to say, without the DRMO's, I called it quits in 2010.. GL was the first and last straw.. Everything has been located too far away ever since.. Did I already say I miss the DRMO's ? :LOL: .. As mentioned, your best shot of getting a M35 or M109 anywhere reasonably close to you these days is private sale, and monitor your area's state surplus, municipal, and fire dept/forest service auctions

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Too many people do not know, that DRMO is not just a place where you could buy things. And DRMO has not gone away. Its back doing what it was supposed to do all along. Making sure surplus, excess, not needed, superseded, old, new operational or non-op equipment can be Reutilized. Selling it is the last step. DRMO, saves billions of dollars a year.

ToddJK

I think if a M35 is what you want, your best bet is to look here in the classifieds first, then branch out from there. I'd recommend buying from another SS member before some random person nobody knows. People have been had due to the greed and deception of others, especially on vehicle condition and other things they may cover up and when it's in your hands, you're stuck with it. Buying one from a dealer and then buying one on here, my experience was by far better from here and the honesty was there too. The only thing I can tell you is that you look for the truck you want and when you find it, be willing to drive a ways to get it. I drove from MI to TN for my truck and drove it back home. Still a fond memory today, was worth every dollar spent and every second it took, lol.

kscarbel

Anyone buying an M35A2 must be confident that that they have additional funds to cover unforeseen expenses.
A big one is the engine........engines including multi-fuels don't respond well to over-speeding, and with a 6.72 ratio many have been oversped during their lifetime on the highway. When the damage from that event(s) rears its ugly head can not be determined externally, nor from dropping the pan. But it can be costly.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks