• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to put Speakers

edpdx

4x10 speakers in Ammo Boxes. Holes drilled (1/8") in an oval pattern to create a speaker grille. Self tappers to hold the speaker to the front of the can. Hole drilled in the bottoms to allow speaker cable out. The cans sit behind the front seats on the rear seat platform at either end. The existing floor bolt got a dab of lipstick. The can was set in place on top of the bolt. The "marked" spot was drilled out and the bolt was driven back into place through the can bottom. Wires meet at the rear of the hump and are routed forward to the front of the hump. The one lids shuts as per usual. The other is shut the same way after popping all the hinge pins out with a drift. They get tightened to the floor and 6p or10p nails hold the hinge in place where the hinge pins would go. Clear sound.

There is a hole for a center dash speaker (4x10). I went to the stereo store and bought a pair of 4" Boston Acoustic speakers and a mounting plate that fits that center spot (o o). 4 channels with Base/treb/Fade and Balance.

I'll post some pics later today.
Pictures as promised:
spkr1.jpg

spkr2.jpg

spkr3.jpg

Last edited:

cpf240

here is the overhead. Thought I had pics of the walls I built!
I've seen that in the LMC catalog... how does it mount? Not really interested in putting holes in if I don't have to. I've been looking at the shelf LMC has that uses the sun visors mounts as attachment points. Don't suppose anyone has experience with that one?

jdeoliveira74

What is the max. diameter that overhead will accept (speaker size). How did you route wires? Is there room for an AMP in that overhead if one doesn't use it for a head unit?
It fits 4.5" speakers you may be able to fit a very small amp up top.. although I dont think it would be a good idea with heat and all not being able to breath overheat and shut down all the time.

I had a civi blazer and used all the interior trim pieces to put it up so all wires are run up the apiller and to the head unit.

I will get some more pics this weekend

jdeoliveira74

I've seen that in the LMC catalog... how does it mount? Not really interested in putting holes in if I don't have to. I've been looking at the shelf LMC has that uses the sun visors mounts as attachment points. Don't suppose anyone has experience with that one?
you will need to drill abunch of holes to install.. or use self tapping screws

mtn man

I added front speakers to go with the rear speakers I have in boxes. But 1st I will cover the stereo- I used the universal make it fit tool (sawzall) to cut the dash and my dremmel to carve out the plastic gage cover for DIN size. I then installed a old head unit I had from my wifes old truck to use for now. I wired the power to my previously installed aux fuse block (see prev post 'installing aux fuse block') and ran speaker wires before I mounted the rubber floor liner to the back and ran wired through the dash for future front speakers. Rear speakers were just some displays I got for a good deal from big box store and put them in 6.5" truck boxes I picked up at yard sale that still fit with seat all the way back.

As for the front speakers, I planned on junkyard mounts, but only found one... so I used the one (as seen in pictures) for pass side for a 3.5" speaker. I then used a larger 4" speaker for the drivers side and wrapped 3/4 of it with a 2" peice of innertube to 'shield' it from the cab metal. This worked great as the 4" speaker's holes lines up with the factor holes for the speaker mount I was missing. Wired them to spade plugs on the speaker wires I had ran and they all work great. Sound great too!

Attachments

mtn man

I am missing a few pics so I will try and find them and add some for the rear speakers and the radio installed. Also should be able to find pic of the 'custom' dirvers side front speaker as well. This was a rockford fosgate CD player that I installed.

CGSDarkstar

Has anyone tried the kick panel enclosures, the jury still out on that one for me, that park brake may or may not be an issue, like to know if someone has tried those? I also plan to use original dash foot print for two there. I was thinking on 6x9 in those cavities behind seat but from what I've read today on this thread, closer is better, don't like the looks of that headliner deal from some vendors.
I installed the kick panels in mine and sound great. They do require an amp or 2. Have one in the glove compartment and another under the passenger set. The parking brake is a little close to the grill, but still works as long as you don't push it too far down LOL. Take the grill off and its not a problem. The back speakers aren't fully mounted yet, but they don't move around too much on the benches. Also include a pic of the entertainment center :lol::lol:

Attachments

CGSDarkstar

Q-Logic makes them, got mine on ebay. They are the same as LMCs, but i bought mine without speakers and put my preferred speakers in. I just don't trust the quality of the speakers from after market re-sellers.

Midnight Rider

I went the cheap route and have the following:
1 - $20 box speaker mounted over the driver side rear wheel well.
1 - Jensen boxed shelf speaker, from my old Mustang, mounted over passenger side rear wheel well.
2 - House box speakers, cut in half, bolted back to back, then mounted in between the front seats.

Don't have any pics.

I can drown out the exhaust noise if I need to, so it works for me.

Pballer71

I ended up cutting two holes in the doors and mounting the back speakers in a box and mounting the box to the rear wheel well. Haven't wired them up yet so don't know how it will sound.