• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where To Spray Ether In The Motor To Get It Started

My EUC is clear. I am GTG and am heading to get my HMMWV.

The description said that they had to use ether to start the motor.

I'm not familiar with the 6.2 (other than knowing the awesome reputation of it).

Is there a port somewhere on the air intake that I should shoot ether into prior to cranking?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the glow plug system if working, this a sure fire way to do serious damage to the engine. I would become a little more familiar with the 6.2 before you get it or just winch it on the trailer. Ether and indirect injection is bad juju.

ke5eua

The 6.2 uses glow plugs, glow plugs and ether make for a bad situation. If you are going to use ether spray it after the air filter. Just loosen a clamp and spray a shot in. Be sure to disconnect the glow plug main connection if using ether.

Diesels that have used ether to start repeatedly become what is known as ether babies. They become dependent on the ether to start every time, and is very costly to remedy the situation.

Gunzy

Ether makes glow plug engines go BOOM! Trouble shoot the starting problem correctly and repair it. Likely has a glow plug problem.

Expendable

I ruined a 6.2 in a chevy by using ether. I'll never do it again. miss that truck. should have fixed it right instead of putting off the maintenance.

Wile E. Coyote

If you absolutely, absolutely, absolutely have to...disconnect the glow plugs by pulling each orange boot off the glow plug itself (obviously you're doing that 8 times), as unless you know the various types of EESS/ PCB glow plug systems, that's the only way to be sure you have no glow plug action.

Undo the clamp on the hose leading to the plastic feed horn mounted on top of the intake manifold. You'll have your spray can of ether, but you have to pretend you don't know what the word 'spray' means, because you're not going to be doing that. Forget all you know about using paint cans :) The 6.2 and 6.5s literally just need a whiff of the stuff...a microsecond...you almost just tap the nozzle. Try to start the machine, and if it doesn't go after giving it a decent opportunity, repeat the 'whiff' procedure but DO NOT be tempted to use more ether.

If it doesn't go after a couple of attempts, you have other problems (loss of fuel prime, inoperative injector pump fuel shutoff solenoid, inoperative cold advance solenoid, fungus-clogged filters, plugged lines...tick all that may apply.)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks