• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which Deuce has the big cargo box and how available are they

theprepared_com

I am in the process of getting funds together to buy a Deuce. I am particularly interested in one with the large cargo box on the back. I would like to set it up with a bunch of my Ham radio equipment and this setup looks to be ideal. Is it pretty hard to find a deuce with the box on the back?

--Scott

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Which duece has the big cargo box and how available are

The long bed version is the M36. A guy here just got one! Kinda rare I guess. Have you thought about using an M109 shop van? Patrick..OPCOM, has one and it's fitted with a whole lotta radios! Maybe he'll chime in with pictures. It's very sweet.

SasquatchSanta

Is the M36 carge bed (van) 17 foot long and does it have a storage area that hangs out over the cab?

I saw what was said to be an M4 which looked like it had lots and lots of room.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I think the original poster is asking about the M109A3 shop van and its cousins. They're less common than the cargo trucks, but not too hard to find. Another nice option is to get a regular cargo truck and put a suitable commo shelter on it. For example, an M35A2 with an S-280 shelter. Take a look at my web page to see pictures of my two shop vans (which I no longer have), and my commo shelter (it's an S-448, which is the same size as the generic S-280).

http://www.nf6x.net

http://www.nf6x.net/greentruck/gtruck.html

http://www.nf6x.net/greenradio/s-448/s-448.html

I think I like the commo shelter path better. It lacks windows, but seals up better. The shop vans are fine, too, but inspect the van box windows carefully on any that you are thinking of buying. The window frames are prone to falling apart. They have both wood and metal parts, and after all of these years, the wood likes to shrink and separate from the metal portion.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will, the yellow one you posted has the water purification body on the back. Look original as it has the lifting eyes in the front drive flanges. Someone must have swiped the winch though!

SasquatchSanta

WillWagner Sez:

Ernie, are you thinking of the M292 expansible van?
Yup --- the M292 is what I was thinking about. A guy could build one heck of a camper out of one of those.

The boot out over the front would make a nice place for a bunk. Or, in the case of a radio shack --- for storage.

Thanks for the input

nattieleather

I think Scott was asking about the M109. The M292 is a big truc but wouldn't make much of a camper unless you put everything on wheels because it all has to fit into the middle of the truck when you move. The sides exspand by the walls moving out and the floor and celing folding out. They are roomy once open up, but not so when closed up. I think the M109 would make a nice mobile ham shack. Or as nf6x stated use a commo shelter.

k8icu

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some points on each:

[][]

M109:
more room in the shelter since it is the bed-body and not a separate container that fits inside the existing bed. It's about 8" wider and 8" longer than the s-280 shelter.

has windows

usually has ''hobbyist starter kit" electrical wiring as well - a fule box and 120V/24V hookups.

should have a ventilator exhaust fan

made of steel over wood. wood subject to rotting if the steel cover has rusted or leaks, making rust and leaks worse over time. Floor planks may rot if water pools in floor, causing later rust out of floor.

If the walls (inside, the wood) is in good shape, you can mount things wherever you want.

has wide door on back, in case something really big has to be put in.

Some have lift gate.

[][]

M35 plus s-280-like shelter

shelter held on bed by mounting system of easily accessed cables. removeable with 5-ton wrecher crane.

S-280 type usually made of aluminum square tube skeleton and skin with foam insulation about 2" thick inside.

floor has skids underneath, giving a few inches clearance under the shelter in the M35 bed.

Has no windows, may have an escape hatch in the door. Fairly airtight. Might want to use a demudilifier during humid/winter months.

When buttoned up, fairly RF tight.

may or may not have electrical inside. I was lucky, mine had a full and complete setup.

There are places you can mount things to and places you cannot. They are usually obvious. Mine has plenty of mount points.

[][][]

In closing, try to get a look at a specimen of each kind you are considering. I had origninally looked for an M109 (the windows are sort of nice), but the M35+shelter has worked out well for me.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The windows can also be a drawback if you need wall space. Here's the catch 22. If you buy a shop van, all you have is a shop van. Difficult to fetch sod in, more difficult to fetch gravel in. Works good for moving your stuff like furniture and goods, your friends will also see this and want your truck or services. With the cargo and shelter, you can outfit the shelter as a camper or radio shelter and pop it in the back abd serve about the same purpose as the shop van. You can remove it and have the benefits of a cargo but you will have to have a wrecker to move the shelter. If you're going to spring for a wrecker, you may be able to save a buck or two and just buy a shop van and a cargo. A third alternative if you don't need tons of space is the smaller shelter in an M105 trailer. It's all a catch 22. I say buy all 3 and the 105!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's the latest post as of June showing what you can do if you want to be extreme on the electronics.

http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/mil/m35/20070623/index.html

Also, if you would like to see
http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/
, and scroll down to "Military Vehicles and Generators" there are other electrical things done on the truck/shelter combination that might be useful if you are going to put ham radio gear inside.

jasonjc

MV's are like potato chips. You just can't stop at one. At least I can stop. But I think I may need help or a bigger yard???

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm limited to half a driveway. At one time I wanted to buy an old 10,000 sq. ft warehouse complete with loading dock to live in, but didn't have the money. Now 25 years later I have the money, but already have a house and the warehouses have gone outta sight in price! The dock would be a good height to use for sliding the shelter in and out. Not to mention having room for more trucks.