• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which Deuce is Best

jaydawg

Im new to this thing, but caught the bug. Which deuce and a half is the best? Im looking for more of a commuter, but multifuel would be cool. Im thinking M35a3 with lockouts on 2 axles or lockouts and bobbed, but does that mean 1994-1999 with cat engine?

Last edited by a moderator:

Josh

Firstly its "Deuce".

Second it comes down to multifuel with a manual or diesel only with an auto and expensive if the trans or motor go. Other then the sheetmetal and ctis most any thing can be upgraded on the a2 to a3. A2s are cheaper and there is alot of posts regarding this. In the upper right hand corner there is a button labled search. Click it and type in a2 vs a3 and enjoy the next few days reading.:mrgreen:

Welcome to the forum.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
No duces are available. If you're looking for a deuce, then you can probably find that. I'd highly suggest you read the sticky called "So you want to buy a deuce." It will tell you the downside of owning them especially for daily communters. When my CUCV was layed up for nearly a month, I used my deuce as a daily commuter. I don't use, nor have the capability to do a lot of VVO, WMO or any of the other alternative fuels. So the cost of feeding the beast was considerable at roughly 10 miles to the gallon on a 70 mile round trip commute.

The seats can be made moderately comfortable by using spring ride, A3 or other seats. It is still not like riding in a car. Driver fatique is an issue. After working a 12 hr day, I still had a 1 hr commute from work to home. Safety in traffic is another issue due to the brakes. The single circuit system in most A2's is a concern. The dual system in select A2's and all A3s is better but.....it ain't a sports car. Driving in traffic at 55 mph AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. They're also hot (no AC) and sometime difficult to find decent parking. Don't forget the neighbor effect. You're neighbors will hate you unless you live in the sticks and can make your life he!!.
Many on here have issues getting them insured and when they do, they're historic plates with insurance restrictions.
So being new to the site, you need to read the hundreds of other times that this question has been asked and see the exact same thing. These trucks are not daily commuters. For that, get a CUCV.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First I don't have an A2. I have an A3 and it's a maintenance intensive vehicle. First after getting it from GL, the ride was fine for 70 miles from the base to my home. Then a torque rod came off the rubber in my back yard and cut a brake line. Spent a lot of time and money replacing all 6 torque rods since they were all weathered(my time and $700 for new torque rods, about that for heavy duty tools). Cold start package didn't work, had to track down a replacement valve and install. Had a turn signal issue, bad ground. Stop light switch making none of the turn signals or brake lights work properly. Removed it, fluid in it. Bought a new one just in case. Took two tires into the shop for Orings and turrent seal replacement. Both are leaking again. Pulled one axle as I had venting from the axle vent. Replaced all seals and had to repack bearing that was washed free of grease by the Axle oil. Pulled opposite side of same axle for the same issue not long after.(Remember these bearings are minimum of $300 a piece with two on each side.) I have to wonder if I haven't made a mistake going with the A3.

lawdog1623

imho any "non bobbed" multtifuel deuce is the way to go. This limits your buying range to that of the a2. :beer: (yes im biased)

eddiec

It all boils down to what you really want, and are comfortable with. Mine is an A2, soon to be with winch( cost me 50 bucks):beer: but remember, no power steering, no hole shots, you are not going to pass yourfriends while driving( but they will pass you). Leave your cell phone at home, you wont hear it without mods. All the heat you will ever need in the summer, andthe same with ac in the winter and your not going to be leaned back with one arm on the wheel in town cruising. But d@$n i love driving mine. :driver:

dikwks

I don't use my deuce as a DD, but I didn't buy it for that. I got it because of the "run on anything" aspect. Now that it has been here for almost a year, I'm still lovin' every minute of it. I could wish for some of the extras that come with an A3, but they're not worth the baggage (CTIS, diesel only, really expensive drive train components, etc.). With that being said, my next wish is for an M925A2 (lots of the same stuff as the M35A3). But there ain't no way I'm letting the deuce go. Get an M35A2 first, then you can branch out later. It ain't nothin' but fun.:driver:

If you want to go faster than 50mph and would like the ability to burn more than diesel, get an A2. If you want a truck that was rebuilt, has dual brakes, auto trans, power assist steering, and more horsepower, get an A3.

If you are still torn, go with whichever you can get the best deal on.:driver:

jaydawg

Thanks guys, I like the A3 but I think I can buy A2 for half the price. I may go that way and give up my 12 min dc to my little Nissan. Multifuel would be the #1 deal breaker plus some of older ones look cooler Bobbed.

caliber1

If you want to go faster than 50mph and would like the ability to burn more than diesel, get an A2. If you want a truck that was rebuilt, has dual brakes, auto trans, power assist steering, and more horsepower, get an A3.

If you are still torn, go with whichever you can get the best deal on.:driver:
So your sayin go with an A2? :beer::whistle:rofl

So your sayin go with an A2? :beer::whistle:rofl
Not necessarily. To me the best deal is often times not the cheapest deal.

Example: I would rather pay $7k for an A3 that is worth $8.5k than to pay $6.5k for an A2 that is worth $6k. The A2 in this example is cheaper but the A3 is a much better deal.

:beer::rolleyes:

Last edited:

Heavysteven

The M35A2 is the best truck. Simplely look at the numbers produced and length of service. My was made in 1971 and came out in 2009. That's almost 40 years Of service through multiple engagements. It's simplistic design and ease of maintence make it the truck of choice.

dburd72

Both models take a lot of maintenance if you do not have the tools,space or the mechanical skills necessary to maintain it your self your in for more then you know. Like others have said do a lot of research then make an informed choice.

3dAngus

I would buy the M35A5 if you're not familiar with them and havn't read the threads on the subject.

The M35A5 is air conditioned, power steering, automatic tranny user switchable to manual, lock out hubs, a Catepillar rebuildable with whistler and multifuel, singled out 11/20's, and a girl on your side. They can still be bought for $2K and come fully refurbished.

Or, you can read the previous threads with near the same title.

Rustygears

Oh boy, now the debate starts - it's like we used to argue about when I was a kid - which is better: Ford or Chevy?

The only answer that is relevant is: the one that's working is best. Buy a good solid truck and don't skimp because you'll definitely pay 2x to fix it later. I have an A3 and I wouldn't trade it for the world. That said, I want to get an A2 as well. Different beasts for different moods.

One very important point is that if you consider buying an A2, make sure you research it well and confirm it has dual circuit brakes. Not many do and it is a real significant safety item. A3s are all dual circuit. Other than that it really is the same argument as Ford vs. Chevy!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks