• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which Diesel Generator Would You Recommend or NOT Recommend?????

Ive been shopping GovPlanet for a good running trailer mounted generator for a diesel whole house backup.

I want to be able to run at least one 5 ton AC along with the rest of the houses main circuits so I am looking for a 20 kW at least, probably more like a 30 kW or 40 kW.

I see lots of descriptions of generators, but I don't know good brands from bad. I don't want to inadvertently buy an Edsel for lack of knowing better.

What brands, makes or models, are considered cherries and what brands are considered lemons?

Gunzy

I don't know how big your house is but most homes will be fine on a 15KW unit. As far as brands Onan and Koehler are the big guys out there. Most of the military gensets are purposely rated low and will put out more than they are rated for. Also how many hours are on them can make a difference too. I think most of the Mil Spec gensets are good rigs reguardless of manufacture(i.e. Libby, Onan, Koehler, etc.). If you ar buying from an individual go inspect the unit and have it run for you and if possible a full load test too. As far as auctions read the discription very closely and never bid more than you can afford to lose. Non runners can be cheap to buy but expensive to fix. I am sure more Gen guys will chime in.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have noticed that the vast majority of the ones at auction are "not running". I do NOT want to get into a deal where I am dumping cash into fixing it right off the bat. I know well enough about how military equipment is used to know that if it is not running, its probably not just a spark plug away from being a good runner 9 times out of 10.

Isaac-1

First of all, unless you have a lot of other electric loads, you are shopping WAY too big, and bigger is not better when it comes to diesel generators (look up wet stacking). I have bought 6 or 7 generators (along with other equipment) off GL over the last decade, of those generators only one ran and produced power with just fuel, fluids and a fresh battery. Some of the others only needed fresh filters, or minor wiring fixes, others needed more. But back to the sizing issue, I bought a 30KW Kohler Diesel generator off GL for my elderly mother's house 5 or 6 years ago, and it does a good job of providing nearly life as normal power for her large all electric house. The house is a large house on the family cattle ranch, 3 central air conditioners (4,3,2.5 ton I think, but when I bought the generator all 3 were 20+ year old amp hogs), 3 50 gallon electric water heaters, water well, electric appliances, etc. The generator rated at 33 KW output 120/240 single phase, and in the summer her house can just about pull that much, with all 3 air conditioners running at once, hot water running from all water heaters, well pump running, along with electric stove and electric oven her house pulls just over 30KW.

Ike

p.s. one potential advantage of buying a commercial / industrial standby unit is the reasonably good potential for low running hours, it is not uncommon to find units that are 25-30 years old with less than 500 hours on them if installed in areas with highly reliable utility power.

Last edited:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I lived in Plano, TX a long time and it is right at 1100 miles. I can meet you some were in AZ or NM if you want.
PM me if you are interested.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a 2,500 sq ft house, gas hot water, gas heat, 3 ton and 2 ton air.

i can run anything in my house that I care to run with a 10kw.

cuad4u

I have a 4200 sq ft house located in the middle of a 700 acre farm which is the only residence on and is located at the end of a 1.5 mile long dedicated power line. During the 2014 ice storm several of the power line poles broke off and I was without commercial power for 96 hours. I used my MEP 003A non-stop for 96 consecutive hours to run the bottom 3000 sq ft of my house, with a little load management. We closed off the top floor. We ran two full size refrigerators, one large chest type freezer, two TV's (what else can you do when iced in?). We used the electric stove top as needed, the oven as needed, the washing machine as needed, the electric clothes dryer as needed, the electric dish washer as needed, the 4500 watt electric water heater as needed, the 3HP well pump as needed, the interior lights as needed, even the vacuum cleaner. Of course we did not try to run everything at the same time. That is called load management. Other than hearing the MEP 003A run (a reassuring sound) we never knew the commercial power was out. My MEP 003A will provide 13,000 watts continuous as long as you need it. I have load tested it at 15,000 watts for a few minutes. Most all of the ex-military generators rated at more than 10,000 watts are 3 phase only. Some can be modified to provide single phase power at a level significantly less than the military rating. If buying a MEP 004A or similar 15,000 watt 3 phase military generator, do not expect to get 15,000 watts single phase.

Last edited:

rustystud

I would find out how much power your house actually needs to run everything before choosing a generator. I first bought a MEP-003a and it runs great. Only problem it is usually running at 25 percent load most of the time. I then bought a MEP-002a. It has run my whole house for the last 5 years whenever power has gone out. Which where I live happens on average 11 times a year for at least a day at a time. The worst was 12 days without power. I was the only one with power by the fifth day. I had neighbors coming over to take baths and wash there clothes on day 6 .

Gunzy

I would find out how much power your house actually needs to run everything before choosing a generator. I first bought a MEP-003a and it runs great. Only problem it is usually running at 25 percent load most of the time. I then bought a MEP-002a. It has run my whole house for the last 5 years whenever power has gone out. Which where I live happens on average 11 times a year for at least a day at a time. The worst was 12 days without power. I was the only one with power by the fifth day. I had neighbors coming over to take baths and wash there clothes on day 6 .
Did they pay with Diesel? LOL

Triple Jim

Sewerzuk has made a thread here, and some YouTube videos, about how to convert the 15kW MEP-004A and larger to single phase while still being able to get rated power.

I do agree with the posts above though, that you would probably have plenty of power with an 003A. I sure do here. In a worst case, you might have to alternate running an electric water heater and clothes dryer with a large air conditioning system, but the advantages of not going with too big a generator include less fuel usage. The 003A uses about one gallon per hour. The larger ones use proportionally more. Even for a given load, a big generator running at 1/2 power uses more fuel than a smaller one near full power.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can convert a MEP-004A or a MEP-005A to single phase, there is a good thread on here about doing it.

ageregunner

I agree with rustystud. My MEP-002A can handle my entire house with some logical energy management.

turnkey

Spend a little money and have a electrion come and do a walkthrough....He can give you best rating for genset that you need with a 25% backup factor...I did and it works find with my rig...

95blklsc

My 003a runs my 5 ton ac without any trouble while having a reasonable background load. While I wouldn't put my two electric ovens and dryers on at the same time it works just fine. When the AC isn't on I have turned on nearly everything else at once and it just chugged along. I certainly don't need any more power for my set up. You might find the 003a is enough for you.

Rapracing

I agree with rustystud. My MEP-002A can handle my entire house with some logical energy management.
I agree with this as well. I have an 002 hooked up to the house for backup. I have an 003 sitting there for backup. I got the smaller one first and before really using it I figured I'd get the 003 and use it primary and the 002 for backup to it. I haven't ran into a case where I've needed the 003 YET anyway.

I'd bet the 002 is going to do it and if not the 003 for sure. The only time I can think a larger one would be needed in a residential case would be maybe for a house with electric heat.

rustystud

Did they pay with Diesel? LOL
I wish ! They all came over with a sob story about how hard it is without power with the kids and all ! So the wife let them come on in. First one came, then the story got out then all the rest came after. I have told these people for years now to get a generator for all the times the power goes out here. Some have bought little cheap gensets from Home Depot, but most have not. The next time there is a week or longer of power outage I'll start charging for the use of the facilities . You want to take a shower and wash you clothes ? That will be 2 gallons of fuel !

steelandcanvas

I have a 3200 sq. ft. house, electric stove/oven, electric dryer, no A/C, swamp cooler, gas water heater and a 2100 sq. ft. shop building. With everything running, my 003A runs at about 65%. As indicated before, load management is the secret.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks