• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which Fuel Injection Pump for replacement

SLR

I have a 68 Kaiser M35A2. It wouldn't start a month ago, so I have a friend who is a diesel mechanic come look at it. Turns out that the fuel injection pump is shot. He took it to a guy who does rebuilds, and it is toast so it cannot be rebuilt. I am searching for a new one. The pump that came off is an AmeriBosch. Looking around the internet, I am only finding other brands. What do I need to know so I get the correct pump that will work?

Thank you in advance!!!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first choice should probably be an identical pump. You are looking for an AMBAC PSB6A pump, NSN 2910-00-908-6320 for the LD/LDT 465 multifuel. You can also use the pump for the LDS engine.
These are not difficult to find; try a well known auction site, for example. Also call a well-stocked military vehicle surplus dealer of your choice.

You did not indicate why the shop was saying your pump was trashed. Is it the hydraulic head? If so, this is a common failure and replacements are available.

If you are asking whether you can replace the pump designed for this engine with another injection pump suitable to supply an inline-6 at the correct timing and pressure, adapted to the LDT engine, I would suggest that absolutely anything is possible, only limited by the thickness of your wallet.

Last edited:

SLR

From what I was told it was burned up, but I am not sure what that exactly means. The reason I ask about which one to replace it with, is that I found a new one made by United Technologies, where the one I have is an AmeriBosch. I am not sure if you can interchange the pumps that are made by several different makers, but the one I am looking at for a replacement looks to be the same.

Here is a pic of the one I am looking at for a replacement.

Fuel Injection Pump.jpg

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
That pump should be fine.

Want to sell me your old pump? Even if they do not work as a whole, there is still good parts on it(probably).

texas30cal

I guess my ldt isn't set right or the governor doesn't work, I stayed in it a little too long one day, I heard it and looked down, it was at 3000!!!!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess my ldt isn't set right or the governor doesn't work, I stayed in it a little too long one day, I heard it and looked down, it was at 3000!!!!
Were you going down hill? Believe the LDT was 2600. I up shift every gear at 2450 2500rpm and cruse at 1850 1900 in 5th high.

Last edited:

texas30cal

No it was on flat ground, I was watching mirrors and just over revved it, by the time I thought "oh s--t" I looked down and saw 3000. I USUALLY shift about 1800-2000 ........but both my other daily drivers are high revving sbc's and for some reason it just didn't ring the bell fast enough. I hate to try it but it definitely won't stop at 2600.

texas30cal

I just drove it to town to go eat, it hit 3000 in 2nd and 3rd no problem, don't worry now that I've proved the point I WONT be doing it anymore!!!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guessing either your governor is inop or your tach is wrong.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No it was on flat ground, I was watching mirrors and just over revved it, by the time I thought "oh s--t" I looked down and saw 3000. I USUALLY shift about 1800-2000 ........but both my other daily drivers are high revving sbc's and for some reason it just didn't ring the bell fast enough. I hate to try it but it definitely won't stop at 2600.
Think 1800 is to low that would put you lower than 1500 on the next gear up. Diesels drive different from gas motors. Don't lug them on the up shift.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks