• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which look do you prefer... Modern or Traditional

papakb

There are also 24v intercoms in EMT trucks. I bought half a dozen of them really cheap from a local company upgrading their trucks. Small, light and they will accept a radio input. Avicomm andf Southcom are 2 aircraft manufacturers that make small unobtrusive intercoms that will work on 24 volts.

HUNvee

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Traditional.
Noise, heat, “comfort” are all part of it.
I have a Vic-3, a Red Dot.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put floor mats in my 934. I made them out of 1/2” thick rubber mats made for horse trailers. Bought it at Tractor Supply. The best way to cut it is with a saber saw using a metal blade. They are made from recycled tires and there are bits of steel inside the rubber. The top side has a diamond plate pattern. It knocked the noise down about 10 dB. I used dynamite inside the doors and on the back of the cab on the passenger side (the muffler is on the other side of the sheet metal) and it knocked the exhaust noise way down. Now I can hold a conversation while diving😃 without shouting. I’m going to do more Dynamat and insulation this summer. BTW, I prefer stock.

JEB

Traditional...It's a military truck. Making it look like an H1 is either:
1. Tacky...looks like someone with a $10,000 surplus rig is trying to fool others he's driving a $50-100,000 H1.
2. Just plane wrong, it would be like me painting my Mercedes in camo.is

However, I'm not a fan of the Euro 1...or whatever they call it...green/black/dark tan scheme. I was in the military back then and I'm just tired of it. So I'd go with tan or green. That scheme looked terrible on aircraft (especially the C-5 and C-141), and isn't much better on truvks.
Heck, just for fun I might even paint it in the 1950s -early 60s gloss (or was it semi gloss?) O.D. with white stars.

BUT...that doesn't mean I'm against common sense upgrades to the running gear, or especially the end nterior. After all, the military upgrades units for various reasons.

BTW: my first collector vehicle was a CJ-5. I kept it stock, it's a classic and there was no need to junk it up with aftermarket trinkets of questionable quality.

Crapgame

Traditional...It's a military truck. Making it look like an H1 is either:
1. Tacky...looks like someone with a $10,000 surplus rig is trying to fool others he's driving a $50-100,000 H1.
2. Just plane wrong, it would be like me painting my Mercedes in camo.is

However, I'm not a fan of the Euro 1...or whatever they call it...green/black/dark tan scheme. I was in the military back then and I'm just tired of it. So I'd go with tan or green. That scheme looked terrible on aircraft (especially the C-5 and C-141), and isn't much better on truvks.
Heck, just for fun I might even paint it in the 1950s -early 60s gloss (or was it semi gloss?) O.D. with white stars.

BUT...that doesn't mean I'm against common sense upgrades to the running gear, or especially the end nterior. After all, the military upgrades units for various reasons.

BTW: my first collector vehicle was a CJ-5. I kept it stock, it's a classic and there was no need to junk it up with aftermarket trinkets of questionable quality.
You can try the MERDC Green, Tan, Brown & Black Camouflage Pattern on your HMMWV, I think some of the field trials trucks were painted in it
MERDC Camo HMMWV Model.jpg

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "holding a conversation" thing cracks me up. Then seeing dynamat on the cargo floor. That's not where most of the noise is coming from. Id invest in an intercom system. Im doing a VIC1 system for the military look, but a better option for you would be an aviation style setup that is cheaper, smaller, and you can aux jack or Bluetooth tunes into also
+1 on using an intercomm. I pieced together a used aviation setup from Softcomm and spent about $150 total. Works well.

If you want insulated and creature comforts, seems you want an H1, not a Humvee.

Bulldogger

Ajax MD

My wife and I just enjoy a "companionable silence" while riding in it. ;)
We converse when at traffic lights or upon arrival. She jokes that the HMMWV is the only vehicle wide enough to allow adequate social distancing while seated inside.

BLK HMMWV

Lipstick on a pig about describes that thing above.
I'm no purist but that thing is just plain ugly.
The military platform is easily modified to various configurations without ruining the value of the original truck.
Once you spray on bed liner you have in my opinion lowered the resale value as well as limited the # of people that will buy it from you when your ready to sell it.
Remember you came to a military vehicle website.
Most of the people that are members here and have been for awhile try and keep them close to one of the original configurations.
With that said most of the new guys tend to want to turn them into something out of Monster Garage.
It's your truck and just like anything Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder or is that BEER HOLDER.
What you like the next guy might not.
So when it comes time to sell your truck and eventually you will.
Who will you be selling to ?

No offence but why did you buy the military version.
You want quiet. ?
Air conditioning ?
Music ?
None of that comes standard , stock , or cheap .
Except maybe the A/C .
Your going to have a boat load of money wrapped up in a truck that will keep your wallet empty.
Once you start down the road to aftermarket modifications your going to be on your own trying to get help trouble shooting things.
Just finding a good reliable mechanic to work on a Stock one in LA area is going to be fun.

Are you the kind of guy that likes turning wrenches?
If so Great cause you have to stay up on the maintenance.
Any of your other friends have 24 volt military vehicles? not to easy to jump start like a 12 volt system.
It can be done but it will take time to charge each battery separate.
Far easier with another 24 volt truck and a set of military cables.
You a member of AAA ?
Invest in a HMMWV tow Bar.

Gamble

hmmwv.jpg

Here is a guy who put his whole build process on youtube to share his journey from start to finish. Pretty cool for him to do so. One thing is for sure, there are various types of people who enjoy this vehicle and come at it from different perspectives. Younger folks grew up seeing the truck on TV and in the news from media coverage of conflicts. They grew up with toy models of the truck and it was one of their favorites. Veterans, may have served in them and have another view of the truck and collectors may want to maintain the original look and feel. The great thing is that all get to enjoy this vehicle, no matter the perspective.

Gamble

Lipstick on a pig about describes that thing above.
I'm no purist but that thing is just plain ugly.
The military platform is easily modified to various configurations without ruining the value of the original truck.
Once you spray on bed liner you have in my opinion lowered the resale value as well as limited the # of people that will buy it from you when your ready to sell it.
Remember you came to a military vehicle website.
Most of the people that are members here and have been for awhile try and keep them close to one of the original configurations.
With that said most of the new guys tend to want to turn them into something out of Monster Garage.
It's your truck and just like anything Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder or is that BEER HOLDER.
What you like the next guy might not.
So when it comes time to sell your truck and eventually you will.
Who will you be selling to ?

No offence but why did you buy the military version.
You want quiet. ?
Air conditioning ?
Music ?
None of that comes standard , stock , or cheap .
Except maybe the A/C .
Your going to have a boat load of money wrapped up in a truck that will keep your wallet empty.
Once you start down the road to aftermarket modifications your going to be on your own trying to get help trouble shooting things.
Just finding a good reliable mechanic to work on a Stock one in LA area is going to be fun.

Are you the kind of guy that likes turning wrenches?
If so Great cause you have to stay up on the maintenance.
Any of your other friends have 24 volt military vehicles? not to easy to jump start like a 12 volt system.
It can be done but it will take time to charge each battery separate.
Far easier with another 24 volt truck and a set of military cables.
You a member of AAA ?
Invest in a HMMWV tow Bar.
The vehicle is straight forward to service. Can it be a pain in the ass, I would imagine so, but so can others. I dont know if you've ever had to deal with porsche's, mercedes, or BMWs but they too are a pain in the ass with a bunch of proprietary bullshit. Entry point for one of these vehicles is cheap and allows me or anyone else for that matter to LITERALLY build it from the ground up. H1 Alphas are about 5 times as much to get in and I still have to perform the same effort to get it where I want it. Not everyone has the same pockets. Some of us may be willing and able to spend more to get a 100% completely customized vehicle. Again, others may be into these for the historic nature. Both are great. Myself, personally, since the response seems to be for me, I am into the outside keeping the classic look. But for me the inside is a non-starter. So I will be swapping out stock dash with more modern features and cameras all around. No blindspots and modern tech internally.

By the way, with that engine swap on the rig above, you may think it LOOKS like a pig, but I assure you it runs like the wind.

Just my .02. I want all to enjoy this vehicle. I hope you all want the same.

Last edited:

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 799173

Here is a guy who put his whole build process on youtube to share his journey from start to finish. Pretty cool for him to do so. One thing is for sure, there are various types of people who enjoy this vehicle and come at it from different perspectives. Younger folks grew up seeing the truck on TV and in the news from media coverage of conflicts. They grew up with toy models of the truck and it was one of their favorites. Veterans, may have served in them and have another view of the truck and collectors may want to maintain the original look and feel. The great thing is that all get to enjoy this vehicle, no matter the perspective.
Any name on that youtube by chance? always looking for more people wrenching that i can watch and pick up intel from.. Thanks Never mind...Found it .....(y)

Gamble

Any name on that youtube by chance? always looking for more people wrenching that i can watch and pick up intel from.. Thanks Never mind...Found it .....(y)
Sure, its called 'Split Builds'. Dude starts from the very beginning of picking it up from GP Auction to where it is now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks