• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which MEP is this?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Data plate has model scratched off, says 3KW. Is this a 016B? Thanks

edit: I tried to search the TM listed on the plate, can't tell but one tm mentions it being gasoline rather than diesel? GL lists it as diesel. Any leads appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:
Gas would be the 016A or 016C. But it would have a 4a032 engine... and that looks like it might be one of the Yanmar converted ones so that makes it either a 016D or 016E and there aren't manuals for those.

Isaac-1

That is one of the Yanmar diesel converted MEP-016a / 016c making it now a MEP-016d.

Ike
p.s. the manual for the original a or c version should still cover all of the generator end stuff, and I am sure there is a civilian manual for the L70 series engine, I think the only change the military did was convert to 24V electrical system.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
You all are awesome. I got it for 210 OTD, says it has 14 hours and looks like it was completely gone through and redone by the army. Good price? Is it a 1800 or 3200 RPM? Cheers

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Cool it is a screamer, thank you. I realize it is an oldie, hope she runs good since I got her for a decent price :)

Isaac-1

It is not that old, at least in its rebuilt life, the Yanmar upgrade program started around 1999, the generator end and frame were probably built in the 1960's or 1970's. It sounds like you paid a very good price, I have a MEP-701a (016b in ASK) powered by a single cylinder Onan diesel and paid around $400 for it a couple of years ago after watching several in the area sell for about twice that price. Selling prices are going insane around here on GL lately, I watched a pair of green/tan low hour meter MEP-003's on a trailer sell for over $6,000 yesterday. Also saw a couple of low hour meter MEP-002's that I was thinking about bidding on nearby sell for just under $1,000 each.

Ike

Last edited:

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Found a painted "2006", maybe it is the rebuild date. Do these run more than the stated load also? Any info on fuel consumption on these? Now I only need a mep003 and my generator needs are filled.

Isaac-1

I suspect the L70 (320CC rated at 7 HP by Yanmar) powered MEP-016D will be more prone to being engine limited than L100 ( 435CC rated at 10 HP by Yanmar ) used on the MEP-016E (Yanmar refit of MEP-016b's) , or the 603CC Onan used on the MEP-016b (rated at 8 HP by the military, so who knows real HP). Having said that, a quick google search shows civilian generators with rating from 3.8 to 5.5KW being powered by Yanmar L70 egines, with most being in the 3.8-4.5KW range. Needless to say expected fuel consumption should be better on the L70 than the other two, the Onan powered MEP-016b is rated at 1/2 gallon per hour at full load. I am not sure about the other models in the line up, but the MEP-016b is rated at full 3KW 24x7 at 125 degrees F and up to 8,000 ft altitude, most commercial units are rated at 86 degrees F and up to 1,000 ft altitude, over that requires derating. My personal view is the MEP-016 family should hold out on par with any commercial 5.5KW generator on the market, maybe a bit more, but why push things (if yours burns out at 3.5 KW don't blame me).

Ike

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those things are loud and rattly. I would just push it out by the curb come garbage time. When does the trash man come and what's your address???? LOL. Great find for little money. I have it's gasser cousin.

ETN550

First, Great price. I does not get any better than that. Many are spending their tax refunds or what ever, but 016D prices are through the roof right now. I bid on several and got none. many were in the $500's and a few in $600's and even one in the $700's. And that is the bid price! Not OTD.

I've had a few of them and they carry 4kw resistive load pretty well. I would not run them for any length of time at over 4kw especially if hot out or at altitude. And I would not press my luck too much with going over 3.5 kw if a motor is being driven. At 4kw the little Yanmar is really knocking it out. A lot of household loads like hairdryers and small space heaters do not come close to their advertised ratings. It's easy to plug in a bunch of those and claim 5kw when in fact it is around 3kw actual load.

Be sure to clean out the gas tank on top. Most are hopelessly rusted and need hot tanked or sandblasted. Change the fuel filter and reuse the filter cap if the new filter does not come with one. There is a tiny hole in the top of the filter for an air bleed and if the cap is not used it can be a leak path around the filter.

Enjoy your new generator!

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Thanks for all the info, looking forward to going up to get it in a week or so. If anyone else needs something from Eglin brought south let me know.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have my first 701A, Onan powered, I used a 1500 watt load and it showed 25% on the meter, I am very happy with it.

I had bid on a few of those site unseen. I never even saw one till we got yours working. I gotta say, I am impressed with the little guy (The generator, not you Kip). They are one sweet little genny. I might still have to try to buy one.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I am thinking it will work far better as a mobile unit than my 002 :) What do you all store bulk diesel in? 55 gallon drums of some sort?

Isaac-1

Mobile is relative, the MEP-701 with the ASK housing weighs in a bit over 500 pounds, I think the plain MEP-002a is around 850, so while it is lighter portability is not that different. The Yanmar powered MEP-016d is probably the lightest of the family as it has the smallest engine, and the Yanmars are a lot lighter design than the Onan's. Still I suspect they are close to 300 pounds. I have mine outside my shed in the backyard with a 55 gallon drum inside connected through the wall with a length of surplus hydraulic hose.

Ike

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Mine being sans ASK will go on a small but sturdy garden cart frame with big wheels. Does it matter what sort of barrel or drum it is? I see the food grade ones locally for cheap. For that matter I found 275 gallon food grade containers with steel outer skeleton reinforcement for 90 bucks.

Isaac-1

Type does not matter much, I would think most lined or unlined steel would be best, if you get a plastic one check to make sure it resist oil (there are a lot of different kinds of plastic, some become brittle when exposed to oil or sunlight), you also want to make sure that the previous contents were cleaned out depending on what was in it. I used one that originally contained Castrol 15w40 motor oil so did not even bother draining the couple of ounces that were left in it before filling it with diesel. Mine was free, but it is common to find them for sale around here for $10-$20, and I know one place that sells used 275 gallon totes like you describe for $100 each (probably not food grade though). The metal tote frames are popular in the rural areas around here for use as trash collection frames.

Ike

p.s. there is a seller called hardy diesel on ebay that sells a 55 gallon drum adapter, it is designed to be used as a primary fuel tank with a return line, but can be set up without one as well. Also be aware local regulations may require double wall containment style fuel tanks for a generator, particularly if over a certain size. I know Florida has some of the strictest state laws on installed generators in the country, a lot of people seem to opt for trailer mounting to get around them.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks