• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which military truck is the most capable? Good survival vehicle?

Thoers

I want a once a week toy that can serve as a survival and bad weather vehicle. How would the common military trucks rank as off road and deep snow use? I like the 5 ton but are they as capable in the rough terrain as a m35a2/a3?

How much maintenance are these if they are only driven once per week? My other option is a regular truck or Toyota something.

Thoers

Unless your towing something really heavy or need a lot of ground clearance a Jeep or a Toyota Tacoma are both really hard to beat. They ride a lot smoother too.
Can the big military trucks go through deeper unplowed snow?

HDN

Can the big military trucks go through deeper unplowed snow?
Sometimes? Bigger wheels certainly help, and so does varying tire pressure. At the same time, they can also get stuck. Are you going to be able to unstick a truck that weighs between 7 and 10 tons?

I thought about taking my M35A3 offroading with a local group, but I don't think they have anything big enough to pull my truck out unless they lash two of their Jeeps or Land Cruisers together, at a minimum.

If you really want a big military truck, I'd go with one of the M939 series or FMTV because of the air brakes. Most M35 and the M809 and older 5-tons have single-circuit brakes, which makes stopping a huge problem if a wheel cylinder fails or a line blows. Otherwise I'd get a pickup or a SUV with big tires and some off-roading accessories.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Toyota FJ Cruiser is very reliable and good off road if an SUV works for you. Comfortable too.
Short wheelbase it is maneuverable. With a small lift I think you can get thru pretty deep snow.

Expensive to buy now is the down side. Parts are readily available. Get the manual transmission AWD all the time.

Designed and built using a heavier duty transmission and transfer case than the truck needs.

DMax82

Toyota FJ Cruiser is very reliable and good off road if an SUV works for you. Comfortable too.
Short wheelbase it is maneuverable. With a small lift I think you can get thru pretty deep snow.

Expensive to buy now is the down side. Parts are readily available. Get the manual transmission AWD all the time.

Designed and built using a heavier duty transmission and transfer case than the truck needs.
I currently have the FJ's cousin, a 2005 Lexus GX 470. I can't say enough good things about it. It is based on the small international Land Cruiser and tows 7k pounds, is comfortable on the highway and since I've owned it has gone from 140k miles to 230k miles with almost no issues. I can sleep in the back if I angle myself (I'm only 5 foot 8, so YMMV) They can be had at good prices too.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I currently have the FJ's cousin, a 2005 Lexus GX 470. I can't say enough good things about it. It is based on the small international Land Cruiser and tows 7k pounds, is comfortable on the highway and since I've owned it has gone from 140k miles to 230k miles with almost no issues. I can sleep in the back if I angle myself (I'm only 5 foot 8, so YMMV) They can be had at good prices too.
Yes when I was looking at buying these back in 2007 the FJ used driveline parts from the Landcruiser. The wealth of information they put out back then explaining everything going into these trucks was a big factor. GX470 is a great vehicle. Had a 2007 FJ ran it 115k with no issues. Traded for a 2012 TRD at 215k now no issues just brakes every 100k and tires every 150k. Have to replace the front calipers two pistons are partially frozen.

When y'alls gas sucking Toyotas are out of gas, abandoned on the side of the road, I will pull up in my multifuel deuce and punch a hole in your oil pan and transmission pan and fuel up with 3 gallons of your oil.
Good reason to also own a multifuel - LOL! My M35A2 is big enough for me to think I can carry a decent load and push thru most road blockages. Might make it 400 miles on a full tank as well and you can throw in it whatever you can find along the way I guess. Easy to work on and troubleshoot. Very strong and reliable after you go thru it and address the common age failure points. Not a great turning radius and single circuit brakes but well maintained I am not scared of them. It will probably go thru most terrain you would consider traversing within reason. More than 18" of snow I figure could be an issue. No CDL required to drive it anywhere. No electronics to fail. I think the standard size tires are fine you have 5 spares and if things are really bad 50 mph is going to be plenty.

HDN

I think the standard size tires are fine you have 5 spares and if things are really bad 50 mph is going to be plenty.
You could probably get away with limping on damaged duals during a natural disaster. You definitely won't be outrunning a tornado at 50 MPH though :LOL:

Last edited:

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my experience with 9 x 20 duals the flat tire actually shrinks and barely touches the road. This is running unloaded of course.

I ran 100 miles with an inside rear flat on a long trip before I noticed. Didn't seem to be presenting any problems I finished the trip.

HDN

In my experience with 9 x 20 duals the flat tire actually shrinks and barely touches the road. This is running unloaded of course.

I ran 100 miles with an inside rear flat on a long trip before I noticed. Didn't seem to be presenting any problems I finished the trip.
It's not so much that - my concern was law enforcement catching someone limping duals. During a natural disaster they'll be pre-occupied with other things.

davidb56

When y'alls gas sucking Toyotas are out of gas, abandoned on the side of the road, I will pull up in my multifuel deuce and punch a hole in your oil pan and transmission pan and fuel up with 3 gallons of your oil.
Hahahaha...your (mine too) 5mpg Deuce will run out of gas long before a 15mpg toyota will. Short wheel base, big tires, winch, and good gas milage is all you need for a bugout vehicle. But as I learned decades ago in a far away place....Be there to get there.....because traveling through hostile country in any vehicle is dangerous.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Especially the older ones. If I could switch my 5-ton for a 40-series LC, I would do it. Or get one of the Australian ex-police long WB high roof 70 series.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
what a heck of a question
" I want a once a week toy that can serve as a survival and bad weather vehicle. How would the common military trucks rank as off road and deep snow use? I like the 5 ton but are they as capable in the rough terrain as a m35a2/a3? "
There is many vehicles for you
The new Rolls Royce is nice too, $ 375, 000 and down.
Humans build 12 to 15 million vehicles a year, they are all over the place.
The new Raptor is almost ready, trucks that sustain power take-off electrical are all over the place.
Just go and buy a few, or one, You will figure it out
High water/ground clarance and ability to run on most any fuel will win in the end.
So get one, then be prepared to protect You and Yours

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 5 cents are that the OP is perhaps not familiar with the types and classes of vehicles that the OP is looking for info on. Is off-road capability (extreme) really a need in a SHTF scenario? Or would most movement not occur along some form of established pathway? Even a tracked vehicle has limitations.
I am also not sure that an MV is THAT great of a choice when it comes to survivability and field repair without access to the military logistics infrastructure.

A common civy platform that most mechanics and parts places can support might be a better choice. I can get whatever I need for the Kenworth within an hour of driving. Most stuff for the M35A2 I have to online order. Just a thought.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks