• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which pulley for a 400 amp alternator?

dma251

I bought an M1165A1 from GP, and it’s missing the 400A pulley. Now I’m in the predicament of deciding if I pay $450 for the overrun pulley new, wait for a used one to show up on eBay, or buy a $100 solid pulley.
Any suggestions or advice for a new humvee guy? I don’t want to go one direction only to find out I shoulda gone another way….

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most will tell you to take this opportunity to replace that 400A with a 200A alternator.
The 400A alternator is considered undesirable because of it enormous weight and mass makes it hard to work around and the mounting bolt design is insufficient for such a heavy alternator.
I have a solid pulley on my 200A and it does cause the belt to chirp when shut down and probably shortens the belt life, how much I have no idea,

dma251

how much of a project is the 200A swap? I had hoped to keep the 400amp and use it with an Outback 4000 watt inverter I have to create some usable AC. If the biggest drawback is parasitic drag and tight clearances I’d really like to make it work. Seems like the 200amp swap is at least $1500 to make happen. I have a new 114” serpentine belt for the ECV hmmwv, which pulley is that set up for, the solid or the clutch type?

Last edited:

Hummer Guy

how much of a project is the 200A swap? I had hoped to keep the 400amp and use it with an Outback 4000 watt inverter I have to create some usable AC. If the biggest drawback is parasitic drag and tight clearances I’d really like to make it work. Seems like the 200amp swap is at least $1500 to make happen. I have a new 114” serpentine belt for the ECV hmmwv, which pulley is that set up for, the solid or the clutch type?
I don't see why still couldn't run your 4000 Watt Inverter, I'm running my 24v 3000 Watt Inverter on my starter batteries with the 200A Generator & Also running a 6000 Watt Inverter off my 6 battery bank that I placed in the back

dma251

I don't see why still couldn't run your 4000 Watt Inverter, I'm running my 24v 3000 Watt Inverter on my starter batteries with the 200A Generator & Also running a 6000 Watt Inverter off my 6 battery bank that I placed in the back
My goal is to be able to run more than one stacked inverters so I can run a welder and act as a backup generator. I live completely off-grid, so the idea of having potentially 8-10kw available on a mobile platform is tempting. For the cost of the 200a alternator swap, I could almost buy another inverter!

I think I'm going to pull the 400a out, inspect the wiring in the tight wear-area and maybe add some additional chaff protection, service the glow-plugs and fuel filter, then put it back in. I have overhead lifting equipment, so the weight and size isn't such an obstacle.

I guess my point is, if there isn't anything specifically WRONG with the 400a alternator besides the parasitic drag, I could actually use the capacity. I'd rather not downgrade if all I'm losing is 10-20 hp.

I certainly appreciate the advice!

Hummer Guy

My goal is to be able to run more than one stacked inverters so I can run a welder and act as a backup generator. I live completely off-grid, so the idea of having potentially 8-10kw available on a mobile platform is tempting. For the cost of the 200a alternator swap, I could almost buy another inverter!

I think I'm going to pull the 400a out, inspect the wiring in the tight wear-area and maybe add some additional chaff protection, service the glow-plugs and fuel filter, then put it back in. I have overhead lifting equipment, so the weight and size isn't such an obstacle.

I guess my point is, if there isn't anything specifically WRONG with the 400a alternator besides the parasitic drag, I could actually use the capacity. I'd rather not downgrade if all I'm losing is 10-20 hp.

I certainly appreciate the advice!
Completely understandable, I honestly want to do the same with mines, I notice you mentioned welding, do that inverter have a 220v plug on it? If so, I'm curious to know which inverter that is

dma251

Completely understandable, I honestly want to do the same with mines, I notice you mentioned welding, do that inverter have a 220v plug on it? If so, I'm curious to know which inverter that is
With the Outback inverters you can "stack" them to combine output and create the two phases for 220vac. They can do 3 phase also. They make a military spec model also ( NSN 6130-01-580-7034) . I've been using Outback stuff to run my home and I think they are an excellent quality product. This is the model- Outback OBX-IC2024S

Last edited:

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1165A1’s got a clutch pulley, but you can go with the “correct” fixed pulley, but you will need the specific belt for that pulley, as it’s different
than the clutch pulley belt.

Regardless if you switch to 200A or stay 400A.......from what I've learned you want to keep the 'clutch' style pulley.

My understanding is this type of pulley protects the generator/alternator during shutdown as it does it gradually rather than suddenly with a conventional pulley.

RetiredWarHorses may be able to confirm? RWH would your recommend changing to a conventional pulley?

I have to say I'm not a fan of the horrible noise it makes as it spins down as that usually means bad things in other vehicles.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks