• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which rear main seal??

Bill W

Doing a search I've found several replacement rear seal #'s, the CR 49928 seems to be the common one and then there's the super seal CR 49927 and then theres the Timken 39801 which I believe also comes with a sleeve., So I'm curious what you guys like...AND!...did you reuse your flywheel bolts of go for new/nos ones ( if so where'd you get them )
Thanks

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I've used 27 and 28, never encountered a crank with a groove bad enough for the sleeve.

Neither one leaks.

Both of the ones I removed were TIGHT on the crank. Never seen a seal that tight. Guess I'm used to smaller engines where the seal doesn't fit so tight.

This is for WHAT motor
Multifuel

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I had the choice I would use the CR29927, anytime.
Not only does it come with a protective lip directed out-wards; it also has a lip material designed "V" which stands for FPM or fluorinated propylene monomer.
That seal has a much better heat resistance, compared to the conventional type CR29928 seal, made out of NBR (nitrile rubber)

See and compare specs here CR29927 and CR29928

The only thing I have done so far with fully encased seals (like the ones mentioned above) is carefully drilling oil drain holes through the (inner)case, corresponding to the orifices in the seal retainer.
Maybe that is "overkill" and not necessary to do with these modern, tight fitting seals, but... not that much trouble really; for a little extra peace-of-mind.:wink:

Pic below.....

G.

Attachments

Bill W

OK my SKF/CR 29927 seal came in today, for the record it the most expensive and biggest seal I've gotten to date. I went ( as advised ) with the Fluorinated seal which will not only hold up better but I'm also thinking it will probably help prevent cavities :roll:

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much was it and where did you get it?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's an average price for that seal. Not bad at all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks