• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which states are not HMMWV friendly?

NM 1078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just curious how many states are not allowing these on the road as of 1/2023 and which are...
I found a list of 30 states that say they do not allow humvees to be driven on public roads, one of them being NM and I've seen them here so I don't know if the list is accurate.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bureaucrats in the DMV have gone rouge here in Florida. Nothing in the FL statues preventing it. The jerks invalidated my title for me!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Washington State sent out a letter a few years back telling licensing offices not to process military vehicles unless they had proof of an FMVSS decal on them.
Nothing in the laws actually says they can't, it's just some bureaucrat at the state level trying to flex their muscles or something.
It all comes down to the person behind the counter. There are several offices around that will do the paperwork no problem. A lot of other offices that have no clue so either give out false info (like requiring a State Patrol inspection first) or just flat out won't touch them.

(my favorite part is the section in the FMVSS where it states these vehicles are specifically exempt from meeting the FMVSS guidelines.)

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Minnesota is HMMWV friendly (not necessarily all military vehicle friendly, law is written that the vehicle must have a civilian version of the same dimensions and weight to be eligable...)

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Massachusetts isn't bad but I highly recommend you use the Taunton MA. DMV as they are knowledgeable about registering former military vehicles. Last thing you want is someone who can't think outside of the box.

Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks