• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

which super singles for a M925 that will pull a load

msitework

Hey guys,
I'm ready to put super singles on my M925 but the more I read the more I'm concerned. I keep reading about premature tire failure, I'll be driving the truck quite a bit so I need a dependable tire. Are the general 1400 20 any good? What would yall recommend? I hear the Michelin XL s have quite a few problems

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The majority of XL's that have had the problems were the 14.5x20 that came on M35A3 trucks and most of that was due to faulty CTS where they sat flat and weaken the side walls.

ke5eua

Goodyears are the better tires.

Putting a load however, the truck was designed for duals and your switching to singles. Now super singles would offer you the same load capacity, but you will loose some hauling capacity.

Maybe someone else can chime in a little bit more on the loss when going to singles.

Gunzy

IMO if you are going to be hauling heavy loads you should stay with the 11.00X20 dual. A rear tire failure will have minimal affect on your driving wherethe super single is going to cause a big 500lbs problem. JMO

M1075

It really depends on your application. The military put super singles on thousands and thousands of trucks for a reason!

ke5eua

It really depends on your application. The military put super singles on thousands and thousands of trucks for a reason!

When you design an axle you are designing it to handle a load a certain way. You design it to spread the load across duals but then you decide you don't like duals so you go with singles. Unless your single tire equals the same width of the duals you are putting more load on the bearings then what was designed, especially when you flip the hub.

Yes the military uses singles, but the hubs and bearings are designed for that.

You can run singles all you want, just don't expect the bearings to hold up to full load for extended times. Mainly the outer bearings.

Also, super singles, and singles are two different things. Look at semi trucks with the single tire on the rear axles, those are super singles. They are equal to the width to two tires so the load is still spread across the area.

Singles are just as implied. A single tire where a dual tire application would be, not equal to the width to duals.

Reminds me of when we deployed, operators thought if you put duals on a 105 trailer you could increase your load. Nope, you just wasted a good trailer.

Last edited:

162tcat

If your hauling and running lots of miles, stick with duals. Any commercial tire shop has 11.00r20's because they are common on older dump trucks and container chassis. Good luck finding 14.00R20's anywhere but surplus sellers. Not nearly as common. Now it's up to you to decide on cool or practical.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That reason is offroad performance. Load carrying ability and load handling stability are better with duals and a shorter sidewall for less flex.

But yeah, it really depends on the application. For most of us these 5ton trucks are toys and really doesn't make much of a difference either way other than aesthetics.