• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which tire fits 20 inch wheel

ClassA6x6

A newbie here. . .

Would a TUBELESS radial tire fit the stock M135 20-in wheels?

Are the M135 rear axles wider than those for M211's (wms-wms)?

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, you can get radial tube-type tires that will fit the stock wheels. If you want to go to tubeless you'll have to find 22.5" wheels. 22.5" tubeless wheels to fit the M135 are rare.

Section8

The rims are 7.50 inches wide. This is standard between the M211 and the M135, as far as I has researched.
The difference lies in the offset of the rim. The M211 has a rim offset of 6 3/16ths for the duals. The M135 has a rim offset of 5 1/8th.
Both models are stock 20 inch diameter rims.
M211 came stock with 9.00/20 NDT tires. The M135 had stock 11.00/20 NDT tires.
I have heard mixed reviews on radials on the M series trucks. Some say they don't like the "drift" feeling while others say it is a way better ride.
A quick search will bring up tons of threads covering tires sizes, balancing, singling, and change overs and the like. Lots of good reading.
Hope some of this helps.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rims are 7.50 inches wide. This is standard between the M211 and the M135, as far as I has researched.
The difference lies in the offset of the rim. The M211 has a rim offset of 6 3/16ths for the duals. The M135 has a rim offset of 5 1/8th.
Both models are stock 20 inch diameter rims.....
(Many years ago) I have studied/ measured M35 vs. M34 wheels in every possible way... (see some drawings, here). We also learned that the M211 and M35 share the same wheel specs; as well as M135- and M34-wheels being identical. Regarding basic dimensions I have never encountered any others, which doesn't mean they didn't exist ....
Now you left me really wondering about those offset figures....?

G.

Section8

Awesome pic Plowboy!! Love that glossy od green!! I will have to did through your threads again for your color code and type.
The Bridgestone tire looks good to! How was the ride on those tires? 1000/20? 1100/20's not available at the time??

Last edited:

Section8

To answer your original question.
Yes there are tubeless radial tires but you will need tubes in them.
Being the type of two piece rim these trucks have you cannot run tubeless. They simply won't hold air with out a tube.

ClassA6x6

To answer your original question.
Yes there are tubeless radial tires but you will need tubes in them.
Being the type of two piece rim these trucks have you cannot run tubeless. They simply won't hold air with out a tube.
Then the way to go is with regular 20 inch or 22.5 steel wheels with 6 holes machined on them. Im confident the machine shop will do it for less than $500 for a set of 6 wheels. Then there will be almost infinite choice of tires.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice 10.00/20's Plowboy. Just curious on the est price for them?
The tires came with the truck so I'm not sure. I did a quick search online but it's tough trying to look past all the 'overseas' marketing websites with misleading descriptions..., "Good like best Bridgestone" or "Good price as Bridgestone" or "Bridgestone Pattern" or "Like Bridgestone".

http://sell.lulusoso.com/selling-leads/2529184/militar-truck-tyre-10-00R20-Bridgestone-Pattern-.html

Crazy Asian marketing gurus.

I'm curious so I'll check prices up here next week, the old fashion way, on a phone.

Section8

You can also buy one piece rims from a few different sources.
Boyce Equipment can make you a set of rims for radials so can another company called Red Barn customs.
You can also buy them from Marsh racing wheels, Eaton wheels, and MRW wheels to name a few off the top of my head. Prices are usually from 250 and up deppending on if you want to add rock guards or custom touches.
Keep in mind that if you are looking for rims for radial tires that the bead seat is different than if you want to run a military type tire.
When buying the rim be sure you wanna stick with radial only. If you try to put a military tire on a radial rim after, such as the common 395/85/20r that people want, it will not sit the beat safely. The bead wall lip on those type of tires is almost double the size of a radial. So it may pop off the rim during travel. If putting a radial tire on a military set rim it may cause wear at the bead and cause failure that way.
Just something else to think about.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.......................Keep in mind that if you are looking for rims for radial tires that the bead seat is different than if you want to run a military type tire......
Not so quick....
1) Most military tires today are radials.
2) The bead seat/ bead flange height and other specs of a wheel has nothing to do with the tire being radial or bias ply; military or not.

Regarding different wheel types and their specs I suggest a bit of reading in the Continental tech adviser, starting on page 74, attached....

G.

Attachments

Last edited:

Section8

Hmm interesting!
I am going soley off of what I was told from the people at Boyce Equipment when I looked into getting rims made. They flat out informed me to choose the type of tire to run since there was such a difference and that they WOULD NOT BE RESPONSIBLE if I used the other style of tire than what the rim was built for due to possible tire failures resulting in damage and or injuries!!
I would love to post pics and relevant stat finding but for some reason the site won't allow me to post pics again.
But I will give it a try.
If they work you can see the difference in bead flange height between the military395/85/20r on a bolt together two piece rim and a radial tire bead photo.
Nope won't let me! Grrrrr.

ClassA6x6

You can also buy one piece rims from a few different sources.
Boyce Equipment can make you a set of rims for radials so can another company called Red Barn customs.
You can also buy them from Marsh racing wheels, Eaton wheels, and MRW wheels to name a few off the top of my head. Prices are usually from 250 and up deppending on if you want to add rock guards or custom touches.
Keep in mind that if you are looking for rims for radial tires that the bead seat is different than if you want to run a military type tire.
When buying the rim be sure you wanna stick with radial only. If you try to put a military tire on a radial rim after, such as the common 395/85/20r that people want, it will not sit the beat safely. The bead wall lip on those type of tires is almost double the size of a radial. So it may pop off the rim during travel. If putting a radial tire on a military set rim it may cause wear at the bead and cause failure that way.
Just something else to think about.

Exactly what I was hoping someone would respond with!!!

Thanks.

Section8

If what you were looking for was if there are one piece rims available, a quick google search titled custom wheels for rockwell axles will give you a good list.
That's is where I got the afore mentioned companies names from when I looked into them.
Again I am not advising anything in regards to what type of tire to run on your rig.