• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which Tractor would you recommed??

Jayco36REQS

Looking to buy a Military tractor for hauling bulk freight, vehicles, scrap, etc....

Which would you recommend?

M915
M916
M920

Also which engine... Detroit, Cummings NTC-400, Cat?

Just curious of your opinions.... Pros/cons, etc

Thanks!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

If you can stand the price the M915A3 (has the Freightliner cab) is far above the old style cab that required standing on your head to work on anything in the engine compartment. The noise level is lower and the comfort level is higher.
If you need front wheel drive capability then go with the M916 and switch it over to super singles (1400x20's).

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you need front wheel drive capability then go with the M916 and switch it over to super singles (1400x20's).
Agree - the stock wheels/tyres on a driven axle are next to useless "off road". Got mine stuck on wet grass, luckily I was going up a 1 degree slope - virtually level and gravity got me back to traction.
Nice mod with the bigger tyres (John's truck in VT looks great - search the NH rally) though that raises the 5th wheel even higher. Even with the stock 22.5 duals the M916A1's are too tall for a box trailer and hauling a civi lowboy (2" kingpin) is also vertically challenging - for hooking up ( + need to add wet lines on the A1/A2's) and it will raise the front of the lowboy into step deck territory unless you modify the gooseneck part...... Ask me how I know!!!