• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which Trailer for a Shop?

jime

I've got a need for a small, mobile shop...workbench, drill press, small lathe, etc. I'd like to pull it with the deuce. What do you guys recommend? I've thought about some sort of "slide-in" for the bed, but think the trailer would work best. Jim

cruz

what about a m146 trailer, you would need a dolly, but I think it would work out well, and they aren't very expensive, and are fairly light

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the M146, lots of room. Also, they seem to be plenitful, and Like Cruz says, very inexpensive.

jime

I was gonna get a m105 anyway, but I was worried about it being big enough for the shop.

If I get the m146...maybe I need a tractor to pull it ! :wink:

dm22630

I was gonna get a m105 anyway, but I was worried about it being big enough for the shop.

If I get the m146...maybe I need a tractor to pull it ! :wink:

You wont even feel the M105 behind you.

A tow dolly alone is going to weigh as much as the 105....then add on the semi trailer & extra wind resistance. You will be sorry unless you like driving 30mph.

2cents

jime

You guys aren't making this easy! Currently, I'd only have to pull the thing 20 miles.

Really though, I know a lot more than I did a couple of hours ago!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M105 trailers are fine trailers but there ain't no way you're going to fit a lathe, workbench, drill press, and toolbox in there and have enough room to use the equipment.

A M22 trailer might work but it's still a little on the small side and rare. A M349 Trailer weighs about 8,000lbs empty and is about 24' long but you'd need a dolly for this also.

You may end up having to look for something in the civilain world.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Find a M109 that has been parted out. Use the frame and rear axles and body.
Put a pintle hitch on the frame and pull with a deuce.
The 109 body was made to be a mobile shop.
Just my two centavos worth.
wreckerman has a good idea :-D.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are some surplus M1061 flatbed trailers coming up for auction - they have 12-14 foot beds on them. Might be a good compromise between a cramped M105 trailer, and a semi.

A deuce can handle pulling it, although a little slow on the hills.

Mike_Pop

To add to maddawg's comment:

You can easily put an S280 shelter on an M1061 trailer and have something that you can actually stand up in. Plenty of room for tools.

The weight of the entire setup might be a bit much if you plan on climbing hills.