• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which trailer should I get? How do they compare to comerical?

alfred10

Are USGI trailers tougher than comercial set ups? I want one that I can tow with a lincoln town car, suburban, Deuce, anything that will tow a normal trailer. How fast and far can you go on the highway with these? Will they hold up to really rough trails? What are the various sizs? Would like to mount fuel cans, water, and supplies for hunting, camping, and SHTF. Would like to spend under 1k. How does inspection work on trailers?

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Are USGI trailers tougher than comercial set ups? I want one that I can tow with a lincoln town car, suburban, Deuce, anything that will tow a normal trailer. How fast and far can you go on the highway with these? Will they hold up to really rough trails? What are the various sizs? Would like to mount fuel cans, water, and supplies for hunting, camping, and SHTF. Would like to spend under 1k. How does inspection work on trailers?

really?

I mean, really?

just out of morbid curiosity... what is a town car rated to tow?

The m105 (2.5ton) run of the mill cargo trailer meant to be towed behind a deuce weighs 2700# empty and has air brakes.
The m101(3/4ton) would work behind a suburban and would likely have surge brakes

The m416(1/4ton) is meant to be towed by a jeep (some have surge brakes)

as you go down this list the price goes UP

Last edited:

gunboy1656

WOW, that's a wide variety of tow vehicles. with that list you will not find a one size fits all.

lincoln town car, would be an M100/416.
Surburban, an M101
Deuce, an M105

taildragger03

I am in agreement with BFR. :roll:
Seriously, the places that military trailers can go will far exceed the ground clearance of a town car. This is my 3/4 ton trailer loaded with about as much as I care to take it.
The pintle hitch is close to 18 inches on the truck to get the trailer to ride level.
Just something to consider.

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

March 21st,2010.

I wonder how the town car will do when he refits it with air over hydraulic brakes?:?:
It better be one of the little trailers for the CUCV series (M101?) because the hitch is gonna look really odd up about luicense plate or truck lock height.......

Good luck,

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:smile:

saddamsnightmare

May 17th, 2010.

Professorpg: You must have one unique Unimog,oops, I remember, it's that lovely SEE sold a while back.... Because my S404.114 can pull the M105A2, but the Swiss trailer plug is completely different (fewer wires & smaller unit) then the standard ones on the deuce, and with no air brakes, even empty or lightly loaded the truck is not very happy with it.

Alfred: The M105A2 ought to tow well behind an adapted Rollas Royce silver cloud, and if you get the air over hydraulic system on the Rolls working right, it shouldn't throw Granny out of her rocker on the trailer on anything other then a panic stop........:-D

Snarky

You people mock him, but its a LINCOLN TOWN CAR.

Lets look at the specs:
Ford V8. Around 200 hp with a bit less that 300 ft/lb of torque.
Body on frame.
Steel Construction. Curb weight is between 4000 and 5000 pounds
Rear wheel drive. I think it has a Ford 9 inch solid rear axle.
Large Interior and exterior dimensions. It's 18 feet long. Just 5 feet shorter than a deuce.
Oversized braking system.

It's basically a 4.6L Ford Pickup truck in car form. This is a vehicle they routinely cut in half and weld a bunch of steel in between the two halves to make a limo. This is a vehicle since 2003 has been available with 'ballistic protection' from the factory.

I think towing a military trailer with it would look a bit goofy, but these things are monsters, I have no doubt it would do it.

The M105 is a 1.5 ton trailer not a 2.5 ton trailer, it's meant to go behind a 2.5 ton truck, it'll hold 3000 offroad, 5-6000 on road, it's meant for the deuce.

The M101 is a 3/4 ton trailer this is the trailer I feel like this is good for both the suburban or the town car, it's meant for the Humvee. Some of them have surge brakes. I've never seen one towed by a deuce, I would imagine it looks silly.

The M416 is more obsolete than the other trailers. I don't believe it has brakes, surge or otherwise, and it's not particularly stable. Just like the M38 it likes to be rubber side up.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to side with Snarky on this one. While I don't advocate towing with a car, they have been used for just that for decades. A rear wheel drive towncar is more than capable of towing an M101A2. Hitch height may be a problem though. The M101A1 can also be towed by a deuce with no problems. Not quite level but works great. I have pics of my M101A1 behind my deuce and as we speak my M101A3 is attached to it. Why are we mocking this member? His thought of towing with the towncar is not far fetched and if he were to do it with an M101A2 it would be much safer than flat towing a deuce with a deuce. Oh, wait, it won't look as manly! C'mon peoples, get real! Treat each other with a little respect!

Alfred10, if you want one trailer as a compromose between all of your listed vehicles, the M101A2 is the trailer of choice. Works great off road, has good habits on road and is a hearty little trailer capable of toting 1500# or more. Tops are availble and its easy to work on. The -A2 uses commercially available tires too. It has surge brakes so it requires no vehicle mods. Go get one Sir!

Last edited:

CGarbee

Hmmm, I see that I need to post the photos of my towing a M101A1 behind my XM813... I had to get the trailer from the farm in VA to a buyer's home in North Raleigh and snagged it on my way home from the Aberdeen rally. It's not the first time, the front of the trailer sits up a tad, and you can't see it from the driver's seat, but it tows just fine and doesn't look that odd from across the gas station/truck stop parking lot.

For a really good mismatch, you should see the hog cooker hitched up behind the five ton...

One of Grandpa's buddies used to tow a M100 behind his '56 Cadilac convertable (I was allowed to drive the combination when I was doing yard work for him) and it worked just fine (the lunette had been removed and replaced with a ball hitch for him by Grandpa). It didn't look any odder than any of the other light cargo trailers that folks slap behind a full size car/SUV these days.

:jumpin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks