• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

which truck series is the best/most reliable

Oldfart

Well thank heaven! Cause that really had me worried! I had read through the ENTIRE GL bidding agreement AND the entire EUC form before I came across that post about the 3 years thing. That's why I was skeptical of it, but figured I would ask if there was any truth to that at all.

One other thing........I notice in the GL bidding agreement, that it mentions that you need to have general liability insurance that lists GL, and the base where you are pickingup up the vehicles, as "additionally insured". Is this an absolute requirement before you go pick up your vehicles? Is that the insurance they check when you enter the base? Or do they just want to make sure you have insurance on the vehicle you are driving onto the base?

I believe that additional insured clause is related to term contracts, but I am not sure. I do know that every one of our recoveries has required photo ID for everyone, proof of vehicle insurance and vehicle registration. We always supply the registration of our trailers as well. Most facilities check everything we give them and a couple have told us we don't really need the trailer registration proofs. We have picked up stuff in PA, Ohio, Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming and two facilities in CA. The military requirements seem pretty consistent.

I think we may habve changed our mind on driving it back from wis., We found out my father has access to a 3500 chvy dually and pretty big gooseneck, (will find out how big tonight when he picks up backhoe to move) I think it would be safer , faster ,cheaper . However less fun , maybe trailer thru wis. the drive thru part on ind and ohio to road test, or do you guys suggest we get it home and do a fluid change first?
I understand the military runs motor oil in the trans despite manufacturer suggesting atf.
I would like a semi long trip to see what needs fixed etc. while we have trailer in close proximity rather than something happen and have to call to get it , if that makes sense.

Chief_919

I think we may habve changed our mind on driving it back from wis., We found out my father has access to a 3500 chvy dually and pretty big gooseneck, (will find out how big tonight when he picks up backhoe to move) I think it would be safer , faster ,cheaper . However less fun , maybe trailer thru wis. the drive thru part on ind and ohio to road test, or do you guys suggest we get it home and do a fluid change first?
I understand the military runs motor oil in the trans despite manufacturer suggesting atf.
I would like a semi long trip to see what needs fixed etc. while we have trailer in close proximity rather than something happen and have to call to get it , if that makes sense.
I always reccomend hauling it home.

There are too many things that need to be checked out on an unkown truck that was just sold salvage before you run it on the public highway. Not just the fluids- you need to pull the wheels and verify the brakes and wheel bearings are good, inspect your belts and hoses, check all the bolts on the driveshafts, and a whole host of other things.

Luckily the TM's spell it all out out. Crack open the -20 and read what it takes to perform an annual service. With an unknown truck with unkown history, until an annual service has been done per the -20 manual by military standrds it is not considered ready for use. That is a really good guideline to go on. And a full -20 level service means you start with a full -10 level PMCS.

Not to mention the whole thing that you won't have a valid tag, title or registration....

But seriously, haul it home, do a full -20 level PMCS/annual service, then drive it on the road with the motoring public.

Thanks chief, That sounds good, we had planned to give it a good going thru , but basically only visual checks. I do think tha trailering will save quite a bit of money in Fuel and possible breakdowns .Tag thing doesn't scare me will have all paperwork from GL, already have insurance on it, but is moot point now, i agree, Safer to trailer all around.

Oldfart

Thanks chief, That sounds good, we had planned to give it a good going thru , but basically only visual checks. I do think tha trailering will save quite a bit of money in Fuel and possible breakdowns .Tag thing doesn't scare me will have all paperwork from GL, already have insurance on it, but is moot point now, i agree, Safer to trailer all around.

Most States will sell you a temp tag to either get it out of their state or some where else. Home states usually will sell you a temp tag to get it home. In between states will usually honor others temp tags. Notice my use of the word USUALLY. Lately, it has been become impossible to get a home state tag because they want a bill of sale and title before issue. GL documents do not satisify our local DMV. ~~ I would trailer. The Chevy is big enough with the proper size gooseneck to get the job done. Cheaper and faster.

Ok , dad just left with 15k backhoe so it will hold the weight,
The trailer is 24 ft from front of deck(bumper touching gooeneck) to end of flat with about 5 ft dovetail, that should be long enough right?
Need to come up with afew more binders, my state requires 4 seperate points of contact as far as chains go, ( i guess in case one breaks or slips off still have 3 solid tie downs, which actually would make me feel safer, I used to move alot of heavy equiptment, used to be 1 chain drug across front , 1 rear and thats all that was required, now I guess the rules are stricter, but it does make sense.

never mind, i looked it up, it will fit.
Man every body always says use the search function, couldn't find what i wanted, used google, linked me back to ss and went right to the proper thread. Go figure. And yes i read the post by clinto on using the search function.:)
In regards to Oldfarts post about trouble titling, anybody got experience in ohio ? we have bought a few trailers, my brother had no problems getting his tagged, my m200a1 will undergo heavy mods before tagging. This will be our first truck

Last edited:

Ripcord01

How old are you? 11 pages of you babble. Have you noticed your posting count has stopped?
Are you hearing voices in your head? Do you need to talk to the guys wearing white coats? really take a break and go play with your dog or something..rofl

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are these still part of the forum rules ? :

• Do not post unfriendly or insulting comments or replies to other members., This can start unpleasant exchanges which no one wants to read in an otherwise valuable topic. If someone has posted a rude comment to/about the user, the user itself is asked to ignore the remark and report the offending post for review and deletion.

• Keep it FRIENDLY. Welcome new members with open arms. Don’t chastise them and belittle them just because they are new. All of you were newbies at some point too!

Ripcord01

Are these still part of the forum rules ? :

• Do not post unfriendly or insulting comments or replies to other members., This can start unpleasant exchanges which no one wants to read in an otherwise valuable topic. If someone has posted a rude comment to/about the user, the user itself is asked to ignore the remark and report the offending post for review and deletion.

• Keep it FRIENDLY. Welcome new members with open arms. Don’t chastise them and belittle them just because they are new. All of you were newbies at some point too!
It is asking him some questions. And adding a little humor to this thread. You and I already had this discussion PORKY. Roll your truck to another stalll before you start crying about what others do here.

Ripcord01

Man every body always says use the search function, couldn't find what i wanted, used google, linked me back to ss and went right to the proper thread. Go figure. And yes i read the post by clinto on using the search function.:)
In regards to Oldfarts post about trouble titling, anybody got experience in ohio ? we have bought a few trailers, my brother had no problems getting his tagged, my m200a1 will undergo heavy mods before tagging. This will be our first truck
Well keep up the good thoughts, post some pics for us when you get it and GL.:beer:

Oldfart

My remark about temp tags and titles had to do with a practice we used to be able to do. If I bought something I used to be able to go to my local DMV, show them my bill of sale and get a temp tag so I could drive it home. Now the way GL and local DMV work, the GL sale paper work does not satisify local DMV as there is no tie back to any thing specific for a VIN number until a SF97 is issued. Can't get a SF97 until you have taken delivery of the vehicle. CA on the other hand will issue you a transport tag to move the vehicle out of state. I am sure other states will have different rules. One of the advantages to being a dealer in most states is that you can get transport or depot tags that allow you to move vehicles without having specific VIN attachment to the tag. Because of abuse of the privilige, Colorado dealer tags are limited to test drives and within a certain distance of the dealership. A very limited number of "full use" dealer tags might be issued, where you can move about as with a normal tag. Depot tags are local area limited, while transport tags can cover a larger area. ~~ All these things vary from state to state. Trailering remains the most simple and sure.