• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which turn signal flasher do I need for my hemtt?

dma251

I have chased my turn signal inop problem do to a faulty flasher, but the markings are all worn off it so I can't get a part number.

It is clear plastic cylindrical flasher with 3 blade connectors on the end. Before everyone pipes up that it's supposed to be a metal box like on the other mv's, I don't think so. The Parts manual shows it as the old box style, but if you look in the Maint. manual it shows it as being just like what I pulled out. A clear round cylinder type.

ANYWAY, my dilemma is that I have a couple of part numbers for a Napa, a Bussman, and a signal-stat flashers, but I don't know which one will work right with my led front and rear lights. I don't want to have to start adding resisters to get the flash speed correct if I don't have to.

Anyone have any experience with this?

By the way - here's the numbers I've come up with so far for 24v flashers-

Signal-Stat - 87114
Napa - 263-4
Bussman BP234 (electronic)
Bussman 234 (electric)

dma251

Yeah, it looked a lot like that except a bit longer, but I could just barely make out that it was in fact an electronic flasher.

So my next question is what does the "electronic" aspect provide? Will an electronic flasher not be affected by the lesser load of the leds?

Elwenil

Not normally, no. They are more of a timed flasher, where mechanical flashers rely on the resistance in the bulbs and wiring to heat up a bimetal strip to flash the lamps.

Jones

Elwenil's right; timers don't care how many bulbs are in the circuit, or the resistance.
If you can get the NSN out of the 24P you might find that NAPA can cross-reference it; they've surprised me by doing that on deuce rear-main oil seals before. Or call the toll-free help desk number at Signal-Stat or Bussman.

dma251

Okay guys, I still need help..... I got a new electronic 24v flasher from napa today, and it has three terminals - L, P, and X. According to my references the L is Load - the wire going into the turnsignal lever assembly, X is for 24v+ power, and P is for a "pilot light" feature. Not sure what that is.

When I hook up the X and L wires it flickers, but is not consistent. It's like a lightbulb that is loose and flickers on and off rapidly, then it goes solid, then it barely lights at all.

What next guys?

Jones

Damon,
Sounds like they sold you the wrong flasher; according to my 24P-1, you should have the two terminal version. I looked in my 24P-1 and while it shows the box type flasher I did notice that the connector plug is the same as a standard flasher uses (two blades running parallel top to bottom and one running crossways). BUT, it only shows the top blade and one outer one being used (looking at the slots on the flasher socket, the top blade and the outer one on the right).
I can email you the picture if you can't find it in your TMs.

dma251

It doesn't appear that the original flasher connects to ground from what I can tell. There are only two wires. power and load. Darn. You know the deal on electrical parts.... no refunds. $23..... I need to know more befoer I start throwing more money at it. At this rate I'll just manually work the turn signals until i get a factory part and KNOW it's right.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks