• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which wire on fuel pump plug is positive / ground

Kellico

Hi guys, I’ve searched everywhere-
I’m in a pickle, fuel pump died while on a drive, I was stupid and drained my primary filter and now no start. It’s not the fuse, so went to Napa got an inline pump.
I cut the deuce’s electrical wires and ready to tie in the temp pump, except I don’t know of the prestolite wires (2 that belong to the socket & plug) are hot and ground. Any help, I don’t have my volt meter with me and sitting in a parking lot.

very respectfully
Kelly

JD4044M

Man if your stuck try it one way for a split second to see if it works. Your not going to kill the fuel pump you just want to see if it pumps first then hook it up correctly. Good Luck and if I don't have a meter I can stab the wire into me a little till I feel the juice for a simple test. Lamp Socket, Bulb and some wire in a pinch.

Kellico

Hey guys, y’all are awesome, thanks for the responses, got her running! Luck came in, the pump only runs when the hot is polarity right, did as a few mentioned, gave it juice for a split sec and figured it out. Mostly was worried I’d short it out if I had it wrong. Pulled the pump out and noticed the bottom pickup screen, propeller and plate was missing, ground wire broken? Reached in the tank and yep sitting on the bottom of a full tank of diesel. I’ll rebuild it and have a redundant fuel pump- should I keep the inline pump plumbed in?

JD4044M

I have/had In-Line Electrical Pumps on a couple vehicles with Engine Mounted Pumps. I flip it on for my 454 Chevy when extra pressure is needed, it can drink some fuel on a steep hill pulling a trailer full of hay bales floored. If you can blow air the way you want the fuel to go it will flow fuel not running.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks