• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which wrecker is this?

Crash_AF

Can anyone tell me which wrecker this is and what it might be worth? It's for sale and the seller says that it's a gasser that runs and operates but needs a tune up.

Is an early wrecker any more or less desirable than a later one?

Thanks

Attachments

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't help, on the ID, but I'd want to go look at it first. Looks like the big stuff is there though. I have always found that these vehicles often just get used, if not abused, and mostly, maintainance is deferred. Nobody is interested enough in it to keep the weather out of the cab, for several years. I bet batteries are dead & frozen!

I'd sure be interested in it though!. Lee in Alaska

If it has a gas engine it could be a M62 or a M543 they were powered buy continental R6602 6 cylinders 602cid.If you get MV mag look at April 2007 pg 58 picture with caption lower left corner.Looks like same truck.Exhast is comming out in the right front wheel well.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M543 has a Garwood Bed, the M62 has an Austin Western bed. Austin Westerns can be distinguished by the spare on the boom, hoist drum at the back of the boom and a frame mounted hydrailic tank. The M543 has the spare at the front of the bed, hydraulic tank on the side of the boom and the hoist slung under the boom.

No.2Diesel

"Is an early wrecker any more or less desirable than a later one?"

It all depends on what your intentions are. If its mostly for show or personal use the 602 gas or LDS will be sufficient. If you intend to actually use it to tow loads over long distances or steep grades, your patience will be challenged.

It looks to be in pretty decent shape. Go for it!! If you get it, inspect all wire rope before lifting anything!!!

Crash_AF

Yes, it would be for personal use and the occasional recovery of my own vehicles. What do you think it would be worth? A range would be sufficient since I know an exact figure would be difficult without seeing it.

Also, do you think it would be worthwhile to repower it to a LDS or other diesel? (I know, loaded question... LOL)

citizensoldier

This is just a guess. And it does not look to be in bad shape.. But I would say.. $1500 would be a steal and I would not pay more than $3800.. Scrap is up so at 35 thousand pounds x ? a ton could ad up fast.. It seems in real good shape.. Not allot of rust and even with the cab exsposed it is clean looking.. I say save it after you have one you wont know how you got by without it. Its the old saying.. "Its only worth what someone will give you for it"

ida34

Wasn't this one one ebay with a starting price of $5700? I think it is relisted for buy in now in the $3900 range and is from Northwest Equipment. The gasser's milage will be less than the diesel. I think $3900 is pushing it for my personal taste.

Crash_AF

Yes, it's on e-bay and is $4795 and he's firm on it. I think that's a bit high, but he feels that he can part it out for more than that. It does run and operate, but it has been sitting for a year and has no title.

It's just one of those, it's in my price range but I think it's priced too high.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For a running operating wrecker, that's fair, regardless of the condition of the interior, etc. If I was in the market for a wrecker, it would be in my driveway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks