• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which Yanmar engine is in the ENG-3?

Mark3395

I continue to have trouble identifying the Yanmar diesel engine in the upgraded ENG-3A servicing unit... or which maintenance manual covers the engine.

Does anybody have any info on it?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is Yanmar a Chinese engine? I keep seeing the name as an engine in inexpensive generator sets.

Anyway, it ought to have a tag on it somewhere.

derf

Post a pic.
Is it a single cylinder Diesel?
I think all the L series single cylinder Diesel Yanmars have the model # cast into the block.
My L48s did, IIRC.
My L100 has a decal that has "Made in Italy" on it.

There are Chinese clones of Yanmar engines on gen sets. But, true Yanmar powered gens run about a $1k per kW.

derf

Is Yanmar a Chinese engine? I keep seeing the name as an engine in inexpensive generator sets.

The Chinese copy is usually called the 186F or a derivative of that. They are decent quality and can supposedly run WVO without any trouble, like the Yanmars. The 10HP 186F is about $600 online.

Not mine, but here is a video:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4APgnXF5pCg[/media]

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Yanmar is actually a Japanese manufacturer, and they make pretty high quality engines. They have made marine diesels and construction equipment for years and years. Recently that made all the engines for the smaller John Deere compact tractors and currently that make a Cub Cadet tractor/engine (very nice by the way).

derf

A quote from Yanmar in 2004:
The production of air-cooled diesel engines is now being centralized at Yanmar Italy under Yanmar’s ongoing business restructuring plan, excluding some units made to Japanese domestic specifications.

Mark3395

Got a good look at the data plate and it seems the engine is a Yanmar 100EE. Made in Italy.

Thanks for the link on manuals Derf. Turns out that the Operator's manual for the 100EE can't be downloaded because of some file corruption, but I believe operating instructions for another model will work to get me started. The parts manual downloaded so I can see how it's put together. It has lotsa links to gages and starting switch that won't be shown in the manual.

Will assume the fluids in it are preservatives and replace with 15w40. Need to put acid in the batteries that came with the unit (never filled) and fire it up. Will check to see what's in the compressor too.

I have the ENG-3A manual reflecting the gasoline engine, and the info I have now will get me going well. Will search on the name of that corrupted manual and maybe get that too.

Mark

Thanks much.

derf

You're welcome.
Google Yanmar manual and you can probably find a pdf copy. I think there is one on the Yanmar Italy site.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks