• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which year 002 Gen?

36racin

For you guys that have and purchase the 002 gen sets regulary I would like to know if there are any years or manufacturers I should stay away from? I see gen sets dated back into the early 80's to mid 90's.

Also anyone have any insite on the MEP-802a? Good/Bad?

Thanks,
Todd

coyotegray

The date on the data plate only really tells you when the frame was made and it is even possible the plate has been replaced. Just like the hour meter only really tell you how long the hour meter has been running.

Like most other military equipment, they have been repaired, rebuilt and updated many times over the years.

As far as possible different manufactures, it makes no difference. They are all identical.

Grega

They are all pretty much the same among manufacturers. A couple things they changed in later years, I think the late 80's or earley 90's were a gear reduction starter and an updated a/c regulator board. There may be others but thats what I noticed on the 4 gennys that I have.

Isaac-1

Like the others have said there is not much worth mentioning when it comes to the differences over the years, plus the majority of the ones your likely to run across have been through the rebuild process enough times that they are now mix and match.

If you still want to know the common variables I am aware of include:

multiple variants of the diesel injector / injector holder

At least 3 different starters (2 types listed in the manual, plus the new current production Southern Automotive brand replacement starter)

Some / Many recent rebuild MEP-002a's have control cabinets and voltage regulators from the 400 Hz 10 KW MEP112's, these are functionally identical, but have a couple of small wiring differences, the best guess around here is the army found they had a surplus of new old stock MEP-112a cabinets and started using them when rebuilding MEP-002a's

There are also some minor cosmetic differences in the fuel tanks / caps as well as the exhaust pipes, etc.

Ike

36racin

Thanks for the information guys. The search goes on. Boy the gens up north in PA and Ohio are sky rocketing since the hurricane went thru there.

Thanks,
Todd

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks