• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Whiffletree Pins

joec

Under reach's rule!! to "Y" cradles with pins. AND ABOUT 5 MINUTES YOUR DONE. Other then drive shafts or axles to pull.

sermis

I have acess to some aluminum trees close to that. I can also get some ramps. 10' and really heavy. Not sure what the ramps were for but the end clamps are almost 1' thick and ramps are 14 - 16" wide and heavy.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DaveP can you either post or send me some more pics of that holmes set up. that is something that i might fab up thanks in advance

CGarbee

Yes, that is my '53 USMC M37 with the Cummins 4BT, ZF S5-42, 4.89's, lockers, four wheel discs (only front wheel when these photos where taken)... For the rest of the story (and a bunch of photos and a recap of the 2005 East Coast Convoy) see the page on my website at:
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/photos42.htm

I'll be installing the disc brakes and dual circuit master cylinder on my '63 XM708 dump next weekend, but it will be otherwise a stock truck...

jhooah

Minor lesson for those of us not used to towing big trucks, when I placed my Wiffle Tree on an M35 to move it around the yard I did not use the axle tow bar. Of course the next step was to beat the towed vehicles hood back out and add a little bondo and paint, but it sure would have been nice to have the hook not poke a hole in the grill cover as well.:???: Guess the towbar is a must have to keep the truck off your back end and angled away from the hook as it lifts. oops.
V/R W Winget

PS: My 42 3/4t Cmd Car has 4 discs w/ 78 Corvette manual brake master cylinder (it was only 18 dollars8) and 4:30's (not 4:89's) in the pumpkins. I can hit 62 mph before the wheel shakes make me slow her down with a stock drivetrain and no over-revving.:-D

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Yup. The tow bar goes on first, then you use the whiffletree (or a chain) on to lift the front wheels.

I've been wondering what the purpose of the swinging link on the whiffletree bar is, since the hook goes through the big hole in the middle.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All I can come up with is the following... If the crane hook is used with the "swinging link" to lift the whiffle tree down from the truck, and then swung to the front lift shackles, the whiffle tree hangs horizontal, not vertical as in the pic. Then it is real easy to insert the lifting shackles in the back of the tree one at a time, with the pins, then lower the hook, whiffle tree hangs off of the shackles, then put the hook in the lifting hole.
The result would be the reverse of the pic - swinging link towards the grill.
Though it seems all a little too convoluted since it can be carried by one soldier!

whiffletree.jpg

The swinging link is made from small enough rod that the accessory hook can lift it too.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks