• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Whistler sound?

Germany Rainer

Hi guys,
I'm Rainer from Germany, and I have a M35 A2 with a LTD465 D engine, and i want to know ,how i can get the whistler sound back?
This is our 1st Reo that we restored, after 18 M151 Jeeps we made!
The Data plate on my engine says overhauled March 1991. The REO has no wisthler sound , but that's what my customer wants to have after he's restored!
I herad they were changing the head-gasket and the turbo charger from the 465 C to the 465 D engine beginning 1986 ??
We don't want to buy expensive parts to get back to the whistler sound if we are not sure that it will definetely work.
We were looking for help all over the internet but couldn't find anything that really would help us out, so we ended up here, since it seems to be the best place to get help from you guys.
I really do hope that you guys can get us some helpfull information about what we have to do and what parts we have to change, with part number would be awesome.
It's really important for us to get rid of this whislter problem for our customer.

Thanks for your effort.

best reguards
Rainer

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The whistle is from the turbo, nothing else.

You need a "C" turbo if you want whistle sound.

sandcobra164

Member Atomic on here has perhaps the loudest whistling C turbo on his truck that I have ever heard and he would love to have a D turbo. If that's what you have and it doesn't have shaft play issues, I'm sure he'd be happy to swap. One problem I would forsee is shipping from Ga, USA to Schweinfurt, GE would likely be costly but I'm sure he'd be willing to swap with no money involved for the turbos.