• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Whistler Turbo Equivalent Parts

Twigmaster

So I'm having a pretty hard time trying to find a whistler for my deuce that I just bought, from the pictures I've been looking at of whistlers they seem around the same size at HX35s'.

So my question is does anybody have measurements of a whistler so that I can try and find an aftermarket equivalent turbo.

Thanks in advance for any help!

sharkhunter2018

I'm not so sure there is an aftermarket option. Perhaps someone wiser than I will throw their 2 cents in. I snagged an NOS whistler on Ebay a few years ago and considerably cheaper than most used ones that I have seen. They show up there from time to time, but mostly used take offs. Have you looked into any of the vendors here? I've seen a few list them on their websites.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not so sure there is an aftermarket option. Perhaps someone wiser than I will throw their 2 cents in. I snagged an NOS whistler on Ebay a few years ago and considerably cheaper than most used ones that I have seen. They show up there from time to time, but mostly used take offs. Have you looked into any of the vendors here? I've seen a few list them on their websites.
Deuceseller has one listed on e-pay.

winfred

i heard a hx35 is a nice upgrade and i think with a adapter or two it'll bolt to the manifold, i have a good one in my stash i removed from my 12v dodge that may find its way onto the multifuel some day

rustystud

Sadly no. After Borg Warner bought them out they stopped making the "D" turbo. There are still rebuild kits available though. I bought a rebuild kit 3 months ago for my "C" turbo but the impeller had come into contact with the side of the housing. So I tore down my "D" turbo and last month bought a rebuild kit for it. Tomorrow I will take my impeller assembly down to get balanced, then rebuild it. I'll post pictures of the balancing and rebuild.

Twigmaster

Unfortunately I had just missed a used one that sold on eBay on feb 27th for around $75.

The flying Dutchman

[/QUOT
Hello I've a question, is it possible to exchange my normal turbo for a Whistler turbo on the Reo M35 A2?
Thanks in advance
Gr Kees.

V8srfun

The hx35 turbos being sold on Amazon and ebay as upgrade for the 5.9 should bolt right up as they are the same sized flange. I plan on getting one to try out but there are a couple other priorities I need to address first.

fleetmech

The hx35 turbos being sold on Amazon and ebay as upgrade for the 5.9 should bolt right up as they are the same sized flange. I plan on getting one to try out but there are a couple other priorities I need to address first.
Im really interested to see how that turns out. Those Holsets can take a beating. I wonder if a stock size HX would work, or if the exhaust housing would be too small for the larger displacement, but lower tuned LDT. Im pretty sure the wastegates on those can be ported somewhat.

V8srfun

Im really interested to see how that turns out. Those Holsets can take a beating. I wonder if a stock size HX would work, or if the exhaust housing would be too small for the larger displacement, but lower tuned LDT. Im pretty sure the wastegates on those can be ported somewhat.
In my opinion cid is less important than air volume or in other words torque produced. Engines are air pumps and they all have different efficiency percentages but the main factor to look at is volume. We should never have a issue with the hx being to small as they can flow more air volume (torque) than our engines will ever produce without catastrophic consequences. Now if we wer turning these engines to 4,000 rpm we may run in to issue but I don’t think that is a factor here.

The only reason I don’t have one of these turbos sitting in the garage waiting on install is the factory wastegate setting is 25psi. I would ideally like it to be 15psi and if I needed more I could get a manual boost controller to turn it up.

Computerdoc08

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks