• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Whistler turbo vs. Non-whistler turbo

92RT-TT

I would love to pickup a deuce with the c turbo, but if I find a deuce that doesnt have one I should be able to fix that "problem" without too much trouble ;). (I own a turbo rebuilding business :D)

Last edited:

Steve1031

92RT-TT, what is the part number for a rebuld kit for the 3LJ319? I have two and one needs rebuilt.

Also, I have swapped turbos back and forth on my deuce ( I have a "D" and a "C") and have noticed that they both produce 12 lbs of boost. The "C" turbo builds that boost much quicker I have noticed. This must be due to the design and size of the turbine housing.

Speaking of boost....how much is TOO much???

Steve1031

67_ C-30, here is a new C tubo on ebay:

• Do NOT post about future or current GL/GSA/eBay (including items for sale in buy-it-now formats)/local/city/state/Federal/estate auctions. You may post about any auction after the auction is closed.
• Do not post links to auction photos. GL/GSA links quit working after a short period of time so save the image to your PC and then attach it to your post.
• Do NOT post links to current eBay auctions or Craig's List ads that are not your own. You may post a link to your own auction/ad only if it is in an information/discussion thread about you vehicle/item. Do not start a post in the Conversations forum or your vehicle specific forum just to announce your auction/ad.
• No collusion as specified above.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve1031

Warthog, I have a pyro....that has nothing to do with the amount of boost....you can have 3lbs of boost and 1400 degrees and melt the pistons. You can have 25 lbs of boost and 1000egt's like my cummins and not worry. I want to know how much boost a Deuce's head gaskets can take.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Warthog, I have a pyro....that has nothing to do with the amount of boost....you can have 3lbs of boost and 1400 degrees and melt the pistons. You can have 25 lbs of boost and 1000egt's like my cummins and not worry. I want to know how much boost a Deuce's head gaskets can take.

Read the Tm. There is a direct relationship between EGT, boost and fuel rate for a specific engine and turbo and IP.

As far as max boost before failure, well which head gaskets do you have?

Steve1031

No clue, Doghead. D motor new in 89 and I think it has had head work because the heads are painted black, while the rest of the engine are green.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If people are worried about the C motor, just put the C turbo on a D motor and you should have anything to worry about. If you aren't beating on the truck and you follow the operating procedures for startup and shutdown, you should be fine.

brianp454

I recommend checking jatonka's web site and info on this. He has a good write-up in his TM section and others. I'm getting my setup in place and plan to use a data logger to record the sensors with no modifications and then make tweaks and see what happens. I will NOT test to failure if possible. More later.

sandcobra164

Sir,
Thumbs up to you for bringing this back up to the top. Truck related as to which is better. I purchased a deuce that had a D turbo, did some horse trading and installed a C turbo. It ran just fine with both but I loved the sound of the "C". I installed a muffler when I first bought it and it made no difference at idle other than hearing the idle whistle of the C turbo. Under throttle or load, it was almost as quiet as idle but you could hear the "C" spooling. The "D", only a whisper. As for performance, I never towed a load when it had the "D" turbo but I did pull a 23,000 pound trailer with the "C" turbo with no issues. I did have the fuel turned up to the recommended safe level of a black puff that clears up rather quickly, I didn't have a pyro on the truck. I ran it hard for years until an M923 showed up and somebody had to go. I'm sure my old Deuce is still running strong for someone else.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks