• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

?whistler

exoilfld

I am going to pickup my deuce this week. I have not heard it run in person, just a video. I have read there is a difference in a c and d turbo with the c being the whistler. Is there a way to tell the difference by examining it such as a number or physical appearance? I friend says he has a new multi fuel engine but he thinks it is a White. I wonder if it will work in the deuce?

sandcobra164

Try searching, I've seen multiple threads on id'ing the two. Basically if the exhaust side housing narrows considerably along it's diameter, it's a whistler. If it doesn't narrow much, it's a d. I put a whistler on my truck because I liked the distinct sound but some don't like it for long periods.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats - and you will have some reading to do.

- yes, the C and D turbos look different (apart from how they sound). If your turbo sounds cool, is really loud and after about three hours of listening to it you kinda had enough, it's a C turbo
Search is your friend: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?4808-How-to-identify-whistler-turbo

The C sounds cool, but the D is the better, more efficient turbo. It also makes more PSI.

- Who made the engine doesn't matter. If it is an LDS or LDT 465, it will fit into your truck. Things to look for in a "new" engine: Look at the block casting near the data plate on the right hand side of the engine. Is there a prominent "TD" cast into the block? That's what you want to see. Thick Deck block for improved clamping force for the head studs. All the rest is freely interchangeable. An LDS (for the 5tons) can be fit into the Deuce with a few part switches. An LD (non turbo) will fit and a turbo can be added.

Flyingvan911

Pull the hand throttle while it warms up. Let the rpm sit at 1,000-1,200 rpm. A whistler will whistle and chirp like a bird. It’s a beautiful sound.

exoilfld

Thanks guys. I pick it up tomorrow. A friend is going to tow it for me with his 5 ton. I have restored several antique vehicles, but this big truck will be a challenge. I usually go by the saying "if it comes apart, it comes apart" . I think I will have to bypass some of that on this truck however.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"HEARING PROTECTION REQUIRED", if you want to enjoy music, conversations,etc later in life. Make sure the kids have protection.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I got my first Deuce (it had a C turbo) and it sounded so COOL! I drove the truck almost 200 miles home and about halfway I had had ENOUGH of that turbo noise, I found out a little goes a LONG ways!
KK

sandcobra164

I installed a muffler on mine to protect my kids hearing but I absolutely loved the distinct sound of my Whistler. I went 190 miles each way to a few GA Rallies and it never bothered me. I put the muffler on while my truck had a D Turbo on it and I could hear a little bit of spooling. When I put the C on, it'd scream exhaust note wise. Performance wise, research shows the D flows better. I didn't notice a difference. If anything the C may have tricked me into thinking it had better low end power due to the audible experience. It is a 134 HP engine in a 13,000 pound truck so 5 HP likely wouldn't be that noticeable. I did pull a 22,000 pound MK-18 Ribbon Bridge Launcher trailer meant for an MK-48 one time and could maintain 55 mph on flat ground and 40 mph at the slowest in 4th gear on hills with the C. Yes, the towed trailer weighed more than the prime mover but the brakes on the trailer worked so well that I don't think my brake shoes ever touched the drums.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks