• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

White D5000 musings

JasonS

I live two hours from my truck so, instead of actually working on my truck, about all I can do is accumulate parts or do research. I picked up a copy of the 1981 engine technical manual for the White D5000 which is the engine used in the 2-155 farm tractors (among other industrial applications). There were a number of interesting tidbits of information that I found really interesting:

1) The D5000 uses external oil lines to lubricate the rocker arms. There were a few prior posts on this topic and my assumption was this was done to improve lubrication. However, I am not sure that this was White's motivation. The oil passages on the White head and block surfaces are plugged with 1/4" cup plugs. If I were trying to improve lubrication, I'd add a secondary, external path and keep the existing through the block. I suspect that the external line modification was done instead to prevent oil seepage across the older head gaskets, not an attempt to improve lubrication.

2) The head gasket MUST be re-torqued after 2 hours of operation. This is for all styles of head gasket; including the "new" ones. There is mention of the new head gasket style and the improved sealing resulting from its use. I have one of the OEM white head gaskets and it is identical to the victor 5818 sold on SS as well as the major military suppliers. It also clearly indicates do NOT apply any sealant to the new style gaskets as the new gasket has a self-sealing surface.

3) White had problems with the head studs and went through a variety of replacements due to failures. It may be worthwhile to try something from ARP. The final head torque is listed as 147-150 ft-lbs and is "critical."

4) White recommends that the harmonic balancer be replaced regardless of visual condition EVERY time the crankshaft/ timing gears, cam, etc is serviced or crankshaft breakage can result. This pretty obvious but the strong indication in the manual may suggest that there were a number of field failures. The D5000 torque spec is 225-250 ft-lbs which is different from the 150 ft-lbs previously posted here on SS.

5) White began installing valve guide seals to reduce oil consumption. It also changed from chrome stems to shot-peened.

6) It was a surprise to me that White kept the same pressure/ scavenge oil pump system as the multifuel. I would have assumed a simpler, pressure-only system.

7) I couldn't find any mention of an oil check valve built into the block but the manual isn't terribly detailed.

oddshot

2) The head gasket MUST be re-torqued after 2 hours of operation.
Should this read, "After installation, the head gasket MUST ... ", or do you really mean to say that you have to re-torque the head bolts after EVERY 2 hours of operation?

Re-torquing head bolts after a head gasket replacement is not unusual in automotive repair; I cannot think of an instance (or vehicle) before "no re-torque gaskets" came out that it wasn't required.

When I replace the head gaskets on Henry, I'll be re-torquing the heads almost out of habit.

For those following along at home ... if you DO choose to re-torque your head bolts at some time interval after installation, make sure you loosen the fastener about 1/4 to 1/2 turn before you torque to spec. This is done to relieve striction, or static friction and allow an accurate torque applied to the fastener.

Last edited:

JasonS

Should this read, "After installation, the head gasket MUST ... ", or do you really mean to say that you have to re-torque the head bolts after EVERY 2 hours of operation?

Re-torquing head bolts after a head gasket replacement is not unusual in automotive repair; I cannot think of an instance (or vehicle) before "no re-torque gaskets" came out that it wasn't required.

When I replace the head gaskets on Henry, I'll be re-torquing the heads almost out of habit.
Just once. :)

JasonS

Any details on the valve guide seals? Are they just a drop in installation?
There was a production change to an undercut valve guide but it also appears to have been a kit to fit the earlier engines. Unfortunately, I don't have any part numbers. An ag dealer may be able to help you.

oddshot

I live two hours from my truck ...
What ... huh ... WHAT?!?!

You live HOW FAR away from your Precious?

When I got out of the Garden State, my wife had to stay up there for a year. I got a job transfer down here to Georgia ... she had a good job with no chance of transfer.

I *could* and did live with her up there and me down here for a year.

There just ain't no way I could live 2 hours away from Henry. Ain't no way. Just couldn't do it.

oddshot

3) White had problems with the head studs and went through a variety of replacements due to failures. It may be worthwhile to try something from ARP. The final head torque is listed as 147-150 ft-lbs and is "critical."
Cylinder head stud stretch was fairly common in automobiles back in the day. When I was working at a VW dealeership, it was required that we retorque the heads before every required valve adjustment. Porsche went through problems for years with cases and studs (this was before the 3.0 engine).

When I was racing MGB's I found that the studs were stretching. Initially, I would replace them once a year. Then I found that Volvo were using studs of the same dimension that were a lot stronger. I got a set of theirs and never had a problem again.

5) White began installing valve guide seals to reduce oil consumption. It also changed from chrome stems to shot-peened.
VERY interesting. Anybody know what material the guides in the Deuce are made from? They might need a lot of lube to keep from wearing too quickly.

Thanks for this thread.

JasonS

Picked up another manual on the D4800 series. One table in particular has some interesting info on EGT: 1200°F exhaust at 0°F ambient. Quite a bit hotter than I'd have guessed. Note that this would increase proportional to the increase in ambient temperature.

Also lists cooling airflow requirements, combustion air, heat rejection to coolant, etc. There was an water/air aftercooler used on the higher output versions. You can find pictures if you do a google search for D4800.

The manual also lists the maximum exhaust backpressure as 2.5" Hg or 35" H2O. No mufflers are recommended and bends need a radius of not less than 12". Looks like my full exhaust is probably not meeting spec.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks