• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

White Hercules multifuel ...need advice

welldigger

There is nothing missing on the drivers side of the firewall that I can tell.

The j shaped pipe by the air cleaner is the air vent tube for the air pak. It's supposed to dead end into the bobble head vent cap on the end of it.

The seepage down the engine is possibly the head gasket? Hard to tell from the video.

The stub on the back of the transmission is the shift stub for a sprag transfer case. You probably have an air shift transfer case. Disregard the shift stub. It serves no purpose on your truck.

The transmission doesn't have a fill tube. It has a fill plug on the side. I think it's on the drivers side rear of the transmission.

Shifting from first to second is usually the roughest shift in these trucks. You will get the "feel" for it after a while of driving. I usually pause in neutral for a half second before pushing it into second gear. Don't force it. Let it fall into place.

Doug Roberts

Thanks welldigger , guess it is the head gasket , seems to be glazed more as of late . I see the fill plug , lol , spent some time looking for something that's not there ! I do want to drain and refil this, 80w90 ? ..GL1 ? I think it can smooth out more overall. I am just starting to get into this truck more . If the head gasket is leaking I gotta deal with it asap I would guess

welldigger

The head gaskets are known to seep oil. It may not be as bad as you are thinking. Any coolant in your engine oil or oil in your cooling system? If not you might try retorquing the head nuts. Worth a shot. I put 40 wt motor oil in my transmission. Seemed to help a little. Your results may vary.

rustystud

Those spots on the firewall are where the tape has fallen off. When the units where painted, they put small pieces of tape over the nutserts to keep paint from filling them. If they where not needed to attach something, ( whatever accessory that the truck model needed ) the tape was just left on.

bchauvette

"Shifting from first to second is usually the roughest shift in these trucks. You will get the "feel" for it after a while of driving. I usually pause in neutral for a half second before pushing it into second gear. Don't force it. Let it fall into place."

You can manually do what your synchros do making much easier to shift. Called double clutching. When up shifting stop in neutral, let the engine go to idle, let the clutch out, push the clutch back in complete shifting in one smooth motion. When down shifting do the same thing but blip the throttle when in neutral with the clutch out. it will take practice on how much to blip depending on RPM. This gets the mating gears spinning at the same rate. Exactly what the syncros do.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would do what Welldigger said if you do feel you need to use first gear just pause or go slow till the mesh is smooth. Also if you are slowing down for a stop and you were in high range just as you are comming to the stop tires still just barley turning put the trans. in netrual and make the shift on the transfer case to low just before the tires stop. You will look like a pro. There will be big eyes here but I don't use first low when on solid ground empty I use second low to start then high second high, finish off the last three in high and your good.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It always seems harsh to those with thin skin that we strongly suggest reading the manuals but in this case you could have made a much shorter video if you had read them first.

Welldigger is correct, you have an air-shift transfer case. The shift lever is in the video and all explained in the manuals, except for Rustystud and the tape.

Other than the leaking head you didn't mention your slobber tube extension is missing.

As for more perfect. If you want it perfect get ready to spend thousands of dollars and clean it with a toothbrush to get dirt off all the time. I'm not saying that you shouldn't want to clean it and tighten and check things but perfection is a lot of money away. Good luck with the truck. Looks good to me.

RAYZER

When driving my deuce, I start off in 2nd, this for me is a friendlier shift pattern for driver and transmission.
If im pulling my m146 (10k lbs), i start off in 2nd with the transfer case in low and split shift after 5th gear (tc to high,4th gear,5th gear).
As for the oil seepage from the head gasket, if their driven their going to seep.

RAYZER

Also, there's a crankcase vent manifold and hose that sits atop of the valve covers, sometimes there can be oil seepage from there which will end up on the sides of your engine.
And don't worry, the wanting everything clean and perfect will ware off after a while!

acesneights1

Funny I have read so many complaints about 1-2 shift. Mine shifts fine. No issue at all...Of course I learned on a DM800 with a quad box.

FloridaAKM

I have the same engine in my truck & it seeps oil @ the same places yours does. All the hoses, tubing, holes in the firewall are present too. That the way things are made on a military truck, for a purpose, not for comfort or aesthetics. Keep looking in the cab & you will find lots of holes that are just taped up before painting. If they bother you, just put a bolt & nut in each one & you will be happier. After a while, you won't even notice the oddities, if you wait long enough!

welldigger

It always seems harsh to those with thin skin that we strongly suggest reading the manuals but in this case you could have made a much shorter video if you had read them first.

Welldigger is correct, you have an air-shift transfer case. The shift lever is in the video and all explained in the manuals, except for Rustystud and the tape.

Other than the leaking head you didn't mention your slobber tube extension is missing.

As for more perfect. If you want it perfect get ready to spend thousands of dollars and clean it with a toothbrush to get dirt off all the time. I'm not saying that you shouldn't want to clean it and tighten and check things but perfection is a lot of money away. Good luck with the truck. Looks good to me.
Someone needs to introduce him to billw. That is a perfect deuce if there ever was one. I'm sure the money and man hours reflect that. I hope to see that marvel of a truck in person one day.

steelandcanvas

I couldn't see too much out of the ordinary with your truck. As suggested earlier by Swbradley1, downloading and understanding the TM's will help to put your mind at ease on numerous issues. Try not to get too obsessive compulsive with her, that will take a lot of the fun out of ownership. The truck looks good, work on it, drive it and enjoy it!

todds112

Doesn't look too bad to me. My truck had a little short slobber tube on it and the starter was coated in nasty tar-like oil. Yours doesn't have a tube at all and the starter is nice and clean. I've just come to the conclusion they are going to seep and leak a little no matter what.

That 1-2 shift was driving me nuts too! Very "notchy" feeling. I even pulled my transmission top off and looked everything over. Took the shifter mechanism apart and cleaned everything. Don't ever do this unless you want a sanity test. Those little detent ball bearing are a royal PITA to get back in. Everything looked ok. The gears in the tranny looked like new. So I guess that's another, "learn to live with it thing".

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It could be worse, you could have dropped a valve headed south on I75 while moving to Florida. :-(

The TMs are your friend. I have them on my iPad, laptop and work computer. I might put them on my phone.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you want it to shift better, drain it and fill it back up with 30wt non detergent oil. That is what Spicer spec-ed for these transmissions, uncle put G.O. in to simplify things.

Doug Roberts

Thanks guys ! I really love this truck . I've always been thinking this one is my 'keeper' . I do want it to be the best I can get it to be. I know 'perfect' is painful and not a reasonable objective , but I plan to keep my bearings in that direction. The fun is in the journey even if I never get there , but I'm just starting !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks