• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

White smoke from my motor!

tiny110

Banned
I have white smoke blowing from my Exhaust. This started last week When I started running a 50/50 WMO/ Diesel blend. I have made a couple of trips in the truck and have put on almost 1000 miles on WMO. The white smoke does not have a bluish color like what I am accustomed to seeing come from a gas vehicle this is burning oil. I have to checked the coolant and there is no oily film. I checked my oil level and it looks right in is at the same level as it was ok 1000 miles ago. The only thing I can think is that it has something to do with the fuel oil. I was thinking of the possibility of water being in the oil. But for the amount of smoke that is coming out I would think that it would be enough water to quench the flame. Other than all the smoke the truck runs great.

Any ideas?

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That Cummins was designed to run exclusively on DIESEL. Running other oil mixtures is just asking for problems. Just my 2cents

tiny110

Banned
They were designed to run on the diesel we had 30 years ago. These trucks are not designed to run on this ultra low sulfur trash that they are selling us either. Just my .02...

I don't think diesel is supposed to foam up when you fill up your tank. This ultra low sulfur trash is so harsh on seals. Something needs to be put in the oil to help lubricate the fuel system and put some sulfur back in it. Why not put some used motor oil in it.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not put in some diesel additive instead of the mix? All diesel i've seen foams up. I agree with pctrans on the diesel only.

tiny110

Banned
Its an oil burner. Why not burn oil? What is the downside? Cheap fuel? I already handle and filter oil for my deuce. I run the deuce on 100 percent used motor oil. I filter down to 1 micron. It would cost a Fortune to keep them full of pump diesel. My plan is to get the 5 ton up to a 80/20 mix. My 5 ton runs better with used oil then with out.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But the FDC Really don't have that much to do with a deuce being a multi fuel. It is the type of injector and shape of the piston.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think diesel is supposed to foam up when you fill up your tank.
Diesel, fuel oil, and kerosene all foam up when dispensed. They always have.

Have you ever owned a diesel truck before?

tiny110

Banned
Maybe it's the regional fuel they have us burning down here. I know it is normal for it to have a slight foam. The stuff I'm talking about hangs on top of the diesel and stays there for a while. The old red diesel that im used to messing with a couple of years ago never would do that. Maybe I'm the only 1 that noticed... lol

Can we please get back on track. if you want to start a debate on whether or not to run wmo in a 5 ton start another thread.

tiny110

Banned
I went ahead and put the filter. Had a lot of water in it. Oh well I guess that's what happens when you don't allow your oil to set very long and let the water settle out. I will report back if this fixes it.

Thanks for loads of criticism and no help guys! Lol

Gunner0311

White smoke?

I put fuel additive in every "tank" when I fill up also.

But "White Smoke" is strange. White to me always meant there was water
somehow getting into the combustion chamber.

This can be from: (1) Water in the fuel (2) Water getting into the cylinder via
a bad head gasket.

It is possible to have a head gasket leaking coolant into the cylinder without any
mixing with the motor oil, all depending on where the leak is. If this is the case,
the gasket will deteriorate further until coolant does mix into the lower cylinder and
be noticed mixing with the oil. The exhaust will get more white and engine power
will suffer as the problem grows.

Then the engine needs to be taken out of service and repaired before it dies a
horrid painfull death...:twisted:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The cummins IP is not designed to run crap, put 1/2 gal of 2 stroke every fill up, NOT 50/50 wmo, the multi ip is different, the multi is designed to run on diesel, but can burn what ever to get you out and back, if a R and R of a motor after the fact is needed, no big deal, the multi DID what it was designed to do, he11 you can run straight gas if needed, will burn things up but by that time you should be out of harms way.

If you DONOT want to hear about not running 50/50 wmo in a cummins, don't, the amount you save on fuel may cover about 1/2 the cost of an ip if your lucky.

The wmo has acids, fine metal, water, ect. just because it is filtered down to what ever size you use, does not mean your ip will like it, nor the cokeing of the valves, pistons ect. the cummins is not made to run on 50% wmo, in fact not made to run on 1%. But on the other hand your motor so do what you want

tiny110

Banned
I figured that would happen.

I went up to recover a truck from red river the other day. I pulled me a sample out of the new trucks tank. It look to be good diesel. So I pumped it out of the truck that was just recovered into my m818. Apparently there was a lot of water in the bottom of the recovered truck.

I made the assumption that the fuel in the newly recovered truck was clean. So it had nothing to do with running oil after all.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will restate what every one else has. Its a diesel, not a multifuel. I run my duece on 90% used motor oil and my M923A1 on straight diesel with Lucas addaitive. Treat it like we treat our diesel pickups!

tiny110

Banned
I've got a guy here local that has a 12 valve that has put over 1200 gallons of straight WMO through it. So in that case I will treat it like a pickup. I made a mistake everyone saw that mistake was in can learn from it. Hopefully the next guy that comes along that has a pair can take advantage of my mistake and learn from it. ALL THE TRUCKS I OWN ARE OIL BURNERS!

Here is how it works for me--- mechanically injected=oil burner!
all other diesel motors= diesel burner!

Last edited:

tiny110

Banned
Well i cleaned out a fuel tank. And put in fresh clean diesel. It is still smoking bad... steel no oil in coolant for coolant and oil. All oil levels and coolant levels are exactly the same as they were 1000 miles ago.

I haven't had the chance to check my exhaust temperatures for each cylinder yet. I'm thinking I have a blown out injector tip. What yall think?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you have a drippling injector. Or more than one for that matter. White smoke is unburnt fuel. If you ran fuel with alot of water/trash you may have gotten a particle stuck in the injector/needle seat. Id dout the tip is blown out though. Does the engine smoke white when under a load? Or just at idle? Low power? running rough?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks