• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

white star after WWII

800summit

I was wondering if the plain white star on the side of Military vehicles is correct after the invasion of Normandy until present day ?
I see the white star on private owned vehicles mine included after that time period are correct or not:?:

TexAndy

Well, I'm no expert and I never served, but I seem to recall reading about US Forces painting a white star on their vehicles during the Korean War...

ida34

When the vehicles began getting camo paint instead of the semi gloss od of the Vietnam area the national symbol (the white star) changed to a 3" black or contrasting star on the bumper in the center and on the rear of the vehicle in the center. The contrasting was usually green when the camo pattern called for black in that area. Black on black is hard to see. You can also look in the tech manual section. There is a marking manual with all of this information. I forgot the actual number of the pub. So to answer your question, a camo truck or current truck should not have a white star. It has been this way since the late 70's and early 80's.

gunboy1656

The white star continued up until Vietnam. then when the 4 color, the MERDC, came into effect it went away. I dont remember the dates for the changes, and I don thame my manual on hand right now.

Ida34 your too quick.

if your truck is camo then yes its not correct, if OD the your good. But then again it is your truck do as you like.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Same for me. I cxan plainly see the star on the hood under the MERDC. If the light is just right, I can make out the old stenciling on the truck too.

dk8019

How big is the star on the door supposed to be, and how do you guys go about painting them on? For most lettering, I simply print what I want on 11x17 sheets, and cut it out to make stencils for letters and numbers, but the stars size will kill that method.

Bill W

If I remember right 16" stars on the door and 20" on the hood. *On post WWII vehicles the point of the star on the hood faces the windshield

*ON EDIT : STAR POINT FACES FORWARD ON POST WWII VEHICLES NOT TOWARDS WINDSHIELD

Last edited:

dk8019

Is the hood star just centered in the hood in both directions? I have the nice camo painting and marking guide, but does anyone have the guide on say early Vietnam, non-camo marking?

Bill W

The hood star is centered but it should be far enough forward on the hood so that it would still clearly visible with the windshield folded down, The ( folded down) windshield shouldn't block out any part of the star

Loose Deuce

When I was in Germany 1972 / 75 all Our vehicles were painted Semi Gloss OD and had the (Large Black Stars) with 4" White markings on the bumpers. They may have all been like that in Europe ???????????

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

September 26th, 2009.

Dear 800 Summit:

See the section on Markings in David Doyle's Standard Catalog of Militray Vehicles. When your truck was delivered it was semi gloss OD with white markings, Doyle's book will tell you the size of the star. In Vietnam mud and other means may have been used to temporarily obscure the star in combat situations, but the ones on the hoods were really wanted to keep jet pilots from bombing you. My 1961 USMC M422A1 Mighty Mite in vietnam had Marine yellow markings on it, and in pictures taken at the front, theres usually mud being used to obscure them. Check Mr. Connell's Vietnam Gun Truck for the 8th TR.GP, he's got the markings done correctly right down to the warning in vietnameses on the doors.
Rick Larsen could set you up with whatever stencils you nedd.

Good luck and happy hunting,

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

GoHot229

Theres a member here, I just cant seem to find Him in my private messages anymore, however He has a M37 and makes Decals or vynyl Lettering for the various MV's in the apropriate sizes, very excelent looking stuff, and He's quite knowledgable. note: His avitar is an M37, way nice......... someone out there should know this member and give His screen-name please.

Jake0147

I can not speak for any other stencil whatsoever, but I found Rick Larsen's to be quite satisfactory, as well as Rick being very helpful in the process.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks