• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Whites multifuel ldt 465 blowing oil out exhaust

FIREFIGHTER

Got a call about an M35A2 that was blowing smoke at idle and mid throttle, and blowing oil out the exhaust. At highway speeds the exhaust cleans up until you bring the rpm's down, and then the smoke comes back. Local garage had changed the oil and added 2 extra gallons of oil to the crankcase. (aua IT'S CALLED PULLING A DIPSTICK, YOU DIPSTICK!!aua ) It was run like this for a day or two before it started blowing smoke and someone pulled the dipstick and discovered the screw up. Before that, the truck had been running fine and was top notch. The engine has a 1981 date on the engine plate. Part # 11642105 Serial # 3930929 Kicking myself I didn't take a picture of the engine plate now.
My guess is the pistons slammed into the high oil level and ended up hydraulically (did I just make up a word??) blowing out the rings. I haven't done a leak down test or a compression test......I haven't tested anything. Just went up and wrote down the info off the engine plate. And it was definitely dripping oil out of the exhaust.
Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated. Like updated or aftermarket (better replacements) for the piston rings. Or what should be updated/changed while I'm in there ..........assuming it is the rings.

Thank you in advance!!

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

If it is blowing oil out the exhaust, I would suspect the turbo has blown an exhaust side oil seal. Usually over filling will cause oil to drip from the slobber tube. Are you sure it isn't coming from the slobber tube and blowing back onto the exhaust?

nk14zp

Drain the oil to the proper level(it will be high on the stick cold) and retest it. Oil in the crankcase wouldn't push harder on the rings than the compression stroke does.

Welder1

Over filling the crankcase should not have done any permanent damage to the engine. It would just try and push it out the slobber tube. I would clean the engine good correct the oil level and take it for a run to burn off any residual oil and see how it runs.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have ring damage, checking for excessive blowby will answer that question fast. I'm with Jeep, sounds like a turbocharger problem.

FIREFIGHTER

Thanks for all of the feedback, guys!!! I really haven't looked the machine while its running. I got this call Friday afternoon after beating myself up on an excavator. I drove up there with the full intention of just taking a pic or two, copying down some info, and then home to a hot shower, clean clothes, and DINNER!! That and some time to digest the info at hand and what I had seen with time to do some research. I think I am going to head over tomorrow to take it out for a test run myself.
The oil was definitely dripping out a drain hole in the exhaust. I didn't pull a dipstick and check the oil level, nor start the truck for a listen & see. And the checking the slobber tube for excess gas makes sense.
Anyone ever changed a seal on a turbo?? Or do you just change out the cartridge and call it a winner?? And if the seal on the turbo let go, I would assume that this would have nothing to do with the engine being overfilled with oil because the oil pump is only going to produce so much oil pressure. 60PSI is 60PSI, the turbo seal should handle that.
The seal on the exhaust side of the turbo was weak to begin with, the drain tube for the turbo was being partially blocked or had increased resistance to flow/draining due to the higher oil level, which then 'caused an increase in pressure at the turbo seal 'causing it to blow.................that's my supposition to this dilemma.

It's either that, or it was.........THE BUTLER IN THE LIBRARY WITH THE HAMMER!!!!!!!

FIREFIGHTER

Verified that it is indeed the Turbo seal on the exhaust side that has let go and spitting oil in the exhaust...............pictures to follow, but not tonight. Looks like I'll be rebuilding a turbo shortly!! :)

brianp454

There's a thread here my WSUcougar (may be misspelled). It goes through it step by step. If you search for turbo rebuild you should find it.

I got a rebuild kit from a place (in mississippi or in that area?) 2-3 years ago. I forget the name but if you search on turbos, borg warner, switzer, etc.
Oh crap, I'll just do it:
http://www.jhdiesel.com/Schwitzer.htm

They are very nice and helpful.

I have a extra turbos (one still unused in uncle sams box) if it does not work out.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The kits are(were) about $180. You have to be careful to index everything really well, or have it spun balanced after your done.

Turbos whistle because they are moving past the speed of sound.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks