• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who Designed Alt. Bracket?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
FWIW I pull the bracket off the block, attach said alternator then install both as a unit. Works for me! Your mileage may vary!
This is how I do it as well, MUCH less frustrating, and I retain DNA that normally would be deposited on sharp edges. . . :p

bassetdeuce

belts always tend to break at the worst possable time. i had my alt belts snap on the freeway on the way to a rally, thank god Hammer was running behind, he saved my ass, but in watching him help me change my belts(well he did most of the work, and i still owe him 5 bucks next time i see him) , ill never forget how to do it. then my aircompressor belt snaps in the middle of the sanddunes. had to drive my landcruiser with about 8psi in the tires, 12 miles on the highway to a library so i could look up the part number for the napa belt, then another 6-7 miles to napa to get it, then back to the dunes. i didnt think about stoping at a gas station to air up the tires until i was back at the dunes.

back on topic - it didnt take us very long at all once we got the right belts to put them on, it just took experimenting with about 10 or so belts until we came up with ones that would work. but i dont remember the alt giving us any trouble at all when it came to loosening or tightening it.
I recommended the 5/8 half moon wrench because it is easier to get that kind of wrench in behind the shrouded part of the alt bracket to hold the bolt head from spinning. From the other side, you use a normal, or ratcheting wrench.

poppop

I don't understand what the problem is?? I just pulled an alternater off a duece yesterday for an SS member that pappabear promised a free one to. It was no problem at all. Walter even came in a day early to get it. When he called me to tell me he was coming a day early I in turned called my guys on the farm and told them to pull the alternater. When Walter and I showed up at the farm the alternater was laying on the ground by the truck. No trouble at all.:p:p:p:p:p

I am just funning guys, I did drop by while they were taking it off and one guy was on the fender and one was laying under the truck. Remember the old saying, Sarge, put up the flagpole. :-D

saddamsnightmare

September 18th, 2009.

Cheers for Recovery 4x4's thought (Way to go, Kenny:not worthy:)!
I do believe that my 1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" may have the simpler bracket as it is normally aspirated and pretty simple. BUT...... I'll have to wait a coupla days while my 6 days o rain soaked clay gumbo dries out before I assay the look, otherwise Indiana Jones wouldn't even take the job on after all his movies! Generally, I always figured if you make the engineers work on what they designed, boneheaded ideas wouldn't hang around much. BUT there have been a lot of dumber ideas since the deuce's alternator bracket in the civillian world.... ever try to take the camshaft outta a V-6 Chevy Citation without pulling the motor? GMC G10 cargo vans, with 350 V-8's were fun to work on too. My favorite after the Model T and the Deuce for simplicity of maintenance was the EMD-General Motors GP-9 roadswitcher locomotives of the 1950's, chewing gum, bailing wire, and a pen knife and flagstaff could almost fix anything so you could limp home.:-D
The Brake Fluid fill access is probably more pure genius then the bracket, anyway.:oops:
S404.114 Unimogs have a few rough spots too, where you about have to take the cab completely off to get at some areas of the engine and transmission.... no tilt cab like the U1300L's!!!!!

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

Remember, the Model T was the inspiration for the original VW Beetle, and was considered by the Army in early 42 for making up a two wheel drive jeep,but then the MB and GPW came along, our deuces are about the kind of mindset, built like tanks, and what's a 20 year GI gonna be doing if he's not swearing at the truck???? Getting into some other trouble. That's the whole point behind such things.... it keeps the birthrate down. Cheers, K.F.M.

Last edited:

Lex_Ordo

The more you work on them the easier it gets, goes for generator bracket, belts, fuel and oil filters, brake fluid, injectors, hydraulic head, you name it...
I agree with Cranetruck, and from No. 2 Diesel's help with my duece, I have found that I don't want to work on any other vehicle now except a Duece.