• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who had the torque rod failure with new ones???

vtdeucedriver

I tried to search for the thread but to no avail so here I am posting. Who was it that installed new Torque rod ends and had one fail within a month of installation. It was said that there was a bad batch made. Who made them??? I need to purchase a few and I want to stay clear.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Call George at White Owl. He recently mentioned to me he had some bad torque rods made slightly under spec and was being careful filling orders.

Rick

augiedoggy

I tried to search for the thread but to no avail so here I am posting. Who was it that installed new Torque rod ends and had one fail within a month of installation. It was said that there was a bad batch made. Who made them??? I need to purchase a few and I want to stay clear.
At last years Haspin rally Sevin7's 5ton threw a dogbone and he had recently replaced the bushing.
He did the field repair of the welded crossbar. I don't know where he sourced the bushings.
I'll be watching this thread and hoping I don't need the info.!

vtdeucedriver

Call George at White Owl. He recently mentioned to me he had some bad torque rods made slightly under spec and was being careful filling orders.

Rick
I will give the boys a call on monday. As long as they know about it then as thats probably where mine will come from.

rangereter

[h=2]
WARNING: Bad Torque Rod Ends[/h]
ALERT: to all M39, M809 and M939 series 5 Ton truck owners,

I purchased six aftermarket 5 Ton Torque Rod Ends from eBay seller wolfer-parts in early September for my torque end replacement project. They were sold as new, unused parts per the seller's listing. They are designed for all M39, M809 and M939 series 5 Ton trucks. I checked the seller's current listings and there are none of these ends listed. I have seen similar ends available from other sellers both on and off eBay. Unfortunately, I cannot ascertain a LOT number from these ends. The surface rust is from some damp weather we've had locally and was not present at time of delivery.

I had them professionally pressed into my existing torque rods along with six NOS military ends. The shop used a 30 ton press, a special sized arbor equal to the diameter of the outer steel case and some light lubricant to complete the job. NO heat was applied and they were pressed in from the chamfered side per the TM..

As I was completing installation on my truck, I noticed three out of the six of these ends were already showing signs of rubber separation from the outer steel casing.This was with normal articulation of the rear axles through jacking and I had not even driven the truck yet. One failed the military pry bar test (per PS Monthly instructions) by pulling out by 1/2" and not returning to center. You can see the the offsetting in the three below pics. Losing faith in all these ends, I removed all six ends and replaced them with all NOS military issue which cost me extra down time, repair time and money. Needless to say, I was a "bit" ticked (understatement).

I was able to easily slip the outer steel casing off one of the failed ends with little effort.
There are no signs of tearing or distortion to the rubber bushing or the steel case. There's not much holding this end together.

I have notified the seller of this problem and I am awaiting their response. I would encourage all 5-ton (M39, M809, M939 series) owners to recheck their torque rods if they have installed these ends similar to these regardless of who you bought them from.

In hindsight, I am glad I discovered this issue before I put the truck back on the street.

Last edited by MyothersanM1; 12-14-2012 at 03:40. Reason: add comment​
Brian McMahon, SPC, USA
Culver City, CA, USA (of course)
MVPA Member #33433

'77 AMGeneral M818 5 Ton w/ Modified Deuce Bed, "Hannibal 8"
Only in my memory, always in my heart: :grin:
XM-1, M-1, IPM-1, M1A1 Main Battle Tanks
M998 HMMWV 1 1/4 ton

I bear my allegiance to those...
Whom willingly swear to the Oath...
Then pick up a weapon...
And bravely stand a post.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks