• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who has a BIG automatic for sale?

TheBuggyman

All,

I'm currently looking for an automatic transmission for my M-813 repower project.

Chris has given me a real good lead but now I'm trying to find a deal with the baby on the way........

Especially with the Virginia Rally coming to Grave's Mountain this Fall, I wanna have it done!

Does anyone have a surplus transmission with a known working condition that they would be interested in selling? Overdrive is preferred but I will consider a 1:1 final drive if the price is right. Number of speeds is not relevant as the truck will have plenty of juice when it is done although five speeds would be cool......:-D

Also, suggestions and arguements are very welcome on this post as I don't know squat about these big autos:!:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
one thing to think about is the cooling of the auto and also the clearance for the front drive shaft, on the stock trans there is not much clearance and that trans is fairly narrow

Last edited:

tbanks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
auto tranny

I have a big automatic Caterpillar with a rebuild tag I think a 13 speed out of the 900 series road tractor.I dont know anything about it but the price would be reasonable.If interested PM me or better call me at 1-859-749-5659.Tony

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i think the 900 series has the front drive shaft going up the right side of the trans. i could be wrong, it wont be the first time, just ask my X wife. if it goes up the right side, it might no clear the 900 auto as your front axle takes the front drive shaft on the left

TheBuggyman

Good gosh Tony, how long is that tranny? I think that you may have a 16 speed there.
Is there a yoke on it? I am really short on space due to the dump hoist so it may not be physically possible to wedge it in there!

If you could get me a measurement on the length that would be helpful.:-D

TheBuggyman

Ron,
I will have to add an oil cooler to the truck for this change, I was thinking about a shell and tube style using engine coolant. I could mount this wherever I wanted and then just plumb it in........

I don't know how much room I have up front to mount an air style cooler, I'm having this brainstorm at work today.......

TheBuggyman

I think we have a couple down at our shop that can be bought cheap they were in terra gator field machines we once had they were hooked to 903 cummins engines I remember when we scrapped out the machines and kept most of the drive lines.I could be wrong about the engine we had a few hooked to some smaller eight cylinder cummins engines too.They really took off when roading them but dont know for sure how many speeds they were for sure.

RH,
Any info you can get me on this would be cool! Even if it is just basic information I'll do the legwork to figure out what it is!:-D

M215

Hey Eddie,
I have an extra GMC Hydramatic from a M211 that I was keeping as a spare for the M215 dump. I'm sure this will be the tranny to use in your super 813
Just my very helpful $.02
Karl

supermechanic

Allison '7' series is the minimum I would use.
They arn't cheap.
Big cooler needed for tranny.
they suck a lot of horse power , 400 cummins is the smallest I would think of using in front of this tranny.
That being said, set up properly, this combo will 'scoot and git' when you mash down on the fuel pedal.
Kiss your fuel economy goodby.
Hydraulic retarder is a cool thing also, set up with a Jake, you can stop from road speed to a crawl is less time than you thought possible.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks