• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who has a winch?

86M10086.2L

I want to put a winch on my M1008, but am not sure how to mount it. Thats why I want to see what your thoughts or how you guys attacked the problem. I know the most versatile way to do it would be a portable unit with front and rear recievers, but they don't look as cool as a permanent mounted front winch. Ideally I would like to have a hidden setup like the new dodge power wagons have or like was done in the petersons article a while back. But that leaves the winch out and prone to the elements and here in NY they love road salt. And road salt never works out well for anybody. Plus If I went with the portable setup you could use the slave plug recepticle as a power source and remove from the mostly useless status on the truck. What do you guys think?

choll

I hhave a 9000lb. I had a friend cut the front bumper between the fram rails and he fabed a mounting plate. Looks great still keeps the look of the vehicle

BigJay

Here's a couple pics of the winch install on my Suburban. The clevis' are mounted in such a way that I could use a military towbar if I wanted to. That was part of the plan. I got my winch for $50 with the big plate that it's mounted to. I don't have access to a welder so I used a cutoff wheel in a circular saw, my angle grinder, my drill, and a bunch(16!) of 1/2" grade 8 bolts.

-Jay

EDIT: Two more little tidbits. The glossy black piece between the framerails is part of my old plow mount. It was welded in place so I just used it as extra bracing. Also the bumper IS one piece, I just cut out a piece of the top of it. I think it will bend pretty easy if I tag it on a tree now, but I figured I'll give it a shot.

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M35A2 winch is the Garwood 10,000# winch, PTO driven.
I like the military MileMarker 10,500# hydrualic winch I have mounted on my M998... Works great. Cheap no, but works great.

Croatan_Kid

The only reason I would we wary about using a hydraulic winch is the fact that the power steering pump already drives the brakes and power steering. To me adding a winch to the mix would further tax the pump. It could be that I'm worrying for nothing, but I like electric winches for simplicity and PTO winches for reliability. For a hydraulic or PTO the vehicle still has to run and an electric wont run for very long after it quits. Don't get me wrong, hydraulic winches are sweet and if somebody gave me one I would definitely use it :D

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Somehow, I got to belive that the US Army did just a bit of testing to make sure the pump can handle it along with the PS and braking functions. When your winching, most people arent driving.. :)

AJMBLAZER

Warn makes a good product but the name is a big selling point as well...which means they have a lot of competition from quality but cheaper brands now. I know more than a few people running Mile Marker electric winches that cost them 2/3 what a similar Warn winch would have cost and they get good service out of them.
I even know several folks running the uber cheap Harbor Freight winch and while it's slow it works great.

I'm definitely mounting mine...if I ever actually do it...to receivers front and rear. Road salt kills winches fast. Friend had one on a 2003 Jeep Rubicon and after two winters of driving it with maintenance AND the winch cover the thing was troublesome at best and usually didn't work. He had to replace the whole solenoid setup to make it mostly reliable again.
With receiver setups you keep it out of the mud, muck, salt, snow, ice, grime, and general road crap until you need it.

SuperchargedRS

I was thinking of installing one on mine, this was/is my idea on it:

install a cradle between the frame rails infront of the cross member right behind the bumper

where the front license plate would be have the roller (so all you see on the front of the truck is the roller mounted to the bumper and the line and hook (clean look).

Behind the bumper I would mount the bolts for the roller through to a reinforcing bracket, so the roller and bracket would sandwich the bumper.

If anyone does my kick azz idea post some pics, as I would like to see it come to fruition.

*Also this idea would help keep the C.G. back a little bit more (not that this is a porce 911 or anything).

tsmall07

I saw one similar to that (in a state that requires front plates) and he had the front plate on a spring loaded hinge that would pull the plate down over the roller fairlead. All you saw was the side rollers beside the plate.

Another good option is to run nylon rope instead of steel cable. Then you can just use an aluminum fairlead and not have to worry about the cable rusting and binding. Its also not as dangerous as steel cable when it breaks.
http://warn.com/truck/accessories/synthetic_winch_rope.shtml
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200308313_200308313

I can't find anyone that makes any winch rope rated at more that 9500#, but I'm sure someone does.

rizzo

AJMBLAZER said:
Warn makes a good product but the name is a big selling point as well...which means they have a lot of competition from quality but cheaper brands now. I know more than a few people running Mile Marker electric winches that cost them 2/3 what a similar Warn winch would have cost and they get good service out of them.
I even know several folks running the uber cheap Harbor Freight winch and while it's slow it works great.

I'm definitely mounting mine...if I ever actually do it...to receivers front and rear. Road salt kills winches fast. Friend had one on a 2003 Jeep Rubicon and after two winters of driving it with maintenance AND the winch cover the thing was troublesome at best and usually didn't work. He had to replace the whole solenoid setup to make it mostly reliable again.
With receiver setups you keep it out of the mud, muck, salt, snow, ice, grime, and general road crap until you need it.

x2

I have a mile marker on a reciever mount

if you are not steering I don't think the pump is working hard.

AJMBLAZER

There's a write up on ColoradoK5.com where a guy builds a nice hidden front hitch. Once again it'll eventually be my plan if I don't go with a whole new front bumper with one built in.