• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who has installed A/C in their CUCV?

YellowHammer

I've seen threads in the past where many say they're going to do it, but I'd like some input from those who've done it. I'm wondering what my best option is. I don't really want to convert to 12V, which would probably be the easiest route considering you could get the stuff from a civilian vehicle and bolt it in without the second alternator to deal with.
I've seen many ideas tossed around and I'm just trying to make up my mind which way I want to go. I'm not doing another Georgia summer with no A/C.
Thanks for any help.

REGULATOR

dunno, but good to see another person from Augusta!!

if you take the plunge let me know, Id like to help and see if its something I want to do as well, thinking of just removing the top for the summer.
Usually ride my Motorcycle when the weather is nice anyway, my 16 yr old is driving the truck to school at the moment, not like he can really "hurt " it

but AC and tinted windows are almost a requirement around here

davo727

I have a hot rod ac setup from a previous project that i got from southernrods , Im going to put in the 1028. I will have to make some kind of bracket for the sanden compressor.

It has an evaporator-heater unit that will fit up under the dash. The original heater box will get tossed.

AJMBLAZER

Remember the CUCV's use different alternators than the civy trucks. Not sure if that means the brackets are different or not. Might cause problems trying to bolt the civilian AC stuff in there.

A guy on CK5 is completely redoing his 1028 right now and he's gone with an aftermarket AC setup. Figured if he was starting from scratch he'd go with something a bit newer and easier to work with. (His 24v stuff is LONG gone).

davo727

Right,

Your choices are:

OD iron which has a custom compressor bracket with their kit.

You make your own bracket and use a sanden compressor or whatever kind you feel like.

Use a compressor and bracket from a civilian chevy 6.2 AC truck , but you would have to do away with the military double alternator setup and go to a single and 12V elec system.

HeadWizard

I bought a M1009 of GSA a while back and it has A/C. It's a real M1009, not a civvy conversion. Has anyone else seen one come out of military service with A/C? The AC compressor is mounted on a bracket on the drivers side and driven off a small belt from the alternator. I'll get some pics.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No known CUCVs came from the factory with A/C, all of the ones that have A/C were installed at the unit level. My M1008 was fortunate enough to have one when I got it. It does look like an aftermarket unit but cannot get any numbers or brand off the unit. And, it has the 2 alternator setup as well.

There is an AC place in San Antonio? that used to have the kits but they no longer make them. OD Iron is the only place now I know of that makes a kit and there is at least 1 thread that covers the install. There might be more sources but I did not look any further into getting one as mine came A/C'd.

Below are the pics of my A/C's 1008:

Attachments

Screamin' Metal

Yes....it can be done. Get a kit of your choice and mount it. The easiest is the 'under dash' models, fits neatly to the metal dash with brackets......the cooling coil and all your air controls are in this little unit. Then all you gotta do is run your lines, hook up your condensor, compressor and mount it and your dryer. Yes....you can 'piggyback' off your alt. pulley....its got enough to deal with without having a air compressor along for the ride.

You want the compressor running off the motor......theres plenty of room under thepass. side alt. and all you gota do is fish around for a pulley if the kit doesn't have one.

The kits run about $800-$1000 range.....but how important is your health and coolness to you? Also those that want to get cheaper......you can get all the underhood stuff yourself and mount it.....the civy trucks had all this stuff and you can get it all thru LMC.......just make sure you get it all hooked up and airtight.....but leave the compressor belt off. Now.....you can get the underdash unit for about 200-300, mount it and wire her up. Then , when all is said and done.....take her to a air place, have them suck down a vaccuum and fill her up and check her out.

At least doing it this way.....you don't have to pull all the dash loose and out and have to break everything down and ruin the look of the tactical Vehicle............Remember, these things have all the mounting holes for the big huge honkin assed cover that houses the big oversized ineffecient cooling coils and blower motor on the pass. side of the firewall....where all your important main battery lines run. I much prefer the underdash units....they're higher quality, are better designed, more compact.....and more effecient. If you ever got to work on them, just unplug 4 wires that tap into your 12 v. junction block and disconnect 2 hoses and yank her out....you can work on it up on your work bench instead of standing on your head in a pretzel position. All the parts are readily avial and you don't have to cut up your truck.............

Last edited: