• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who has shovel, axe and basic tool set?

Mt Doom Field Owner

I did search the forums (briefly) for this topic and didn't find it but I'm sure it has been addressed before ---- Where can I find the tools that go in the rack above the spare tire? I believe I see a place for an Axe, Shovel and maybe a Pick? Anyone got a few extras to spare or know a (hopefully cheap) source? Links appreciated and if you have a good photo of your tool rack all filled up and painted nice please display it for me. Thanks! I am a brand new Duece owner and have found some really good info on these SS forums! Appreciate every utterance ... serious or joking! Now give me the AXE!:mrgreen:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Colemans has the axe-$15, Memphis has both the shovel and pick (I think they are $25 ea). Saturn also has some of the tools on their web site.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you will have a hard time finding a short enough shovel at home depot that also doesn't have a plastic handle at the top. Guess it depends how "correct" you want it to be.

Mt Doom Field Owner

It looks like the tools at Saturn Surplus and some of the others are just brand new tools like those you'd find locally. I will try Lowe's here tomorrow. I still would like to know what all the entire inventory of pioneer tools on a well stocked Deuce or other MV would be?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only tools in the pioneer rack are shovel, pick head/handle, and axe. The later years the services did buy locally. Earlier there were specs for the tools. There was an extensive link with all kinds of info awhile back that went way in depth on specifics. All the stuff i've seen from the 60's early 70's have US markings and are definately different from what you could get locally today. Look at Memphis equipments shovel and compare it to saturns and you will see what I mean.

Last edited:

Mt Doom Field Owner

I don't care if they are original or authentic... in fact I'd prefer a fiberglass axe handle and shovel handle... unbreakable! Looks like a 39 inch shovel is the length I need and I will measure the rack to see what size axe and pick handle I need. I plan on painting them Olive Drab or flat black.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wish I had picked up a set in Findlay, OH a few weeks ago. Someone was selling complete sets of tools already mounted on the tool rack. I didn't get a price or the guy's card. He had about six sets sitting there.

:-(

Mt Doom Field Owner

Somewhere in my internet ramblings I was a photo of a big wood crate full of axes and another full of shovels... all painted olive drab green, obviously military issue. At the time I didn't even read the topic or associated text... could have been a WWII photo or something that survived. OR!~ A guy who found a crate of tools in a long lost warehouse. The local Army Surplus store disappeared here many many years ago and was replaced by a Hardware company. I remember going into the basement of this place several years later and seeing a whole portion of the basement filled with old army surplus stuff. I am going to go by there on Friday when I drive my Deuce into Cullman, AL for the first time since buying it last week. Maybe he will let me see if that stuff is still around. PS... I still remember the smell some of that stuff had ... it was like vomit! What causes that? Oh well... more later. Thanks for the help with the tools. I will set about making some that fit my racks. Still love to see a good photo if anyone can throw one in this thread before it fades away.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you use your truck in the woods, they are very handy! I even find myself grabbing a shovel off of one of the MV's instead of walking all the way to the shed. I got the picks and axes at the local mom and pop hardware store. I already had shovels. I got the straps from saturn.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently got one of the GI shovels. Has the correct NSN on it, BUT, it's too long! The correct size for fitting on the pioneer rack is 35-37 inches long. The local Big Lots had some shovels that were 39 inches long (I measured them) but I bought one anyway. It hangs over by two inches. Problem is that they have changed the design of the handle from a true "D" to more of a tulip shaped "Y", and that extra length makes it too long!

The axe is simply a standard four pound axe (there is a special style, but I don't have that info where I am - will someone else add to the thread), and the pick-mattock is a five pound model made by a number of different US based tool companies.

Bill W

"Still love to see a good photo if anyone can throw one in this thread before it fades away"

I thought I did that already????

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks