• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who here has taken their CUCV to the dunes?

ajsmith184

I have had mine about two months..taking it to Michigan's Silverlake Sand Dunes this weekend..Never been there..Curious what I should prep the truck for, if anything....I see avatars of a few here in the dunes... so was hoping to hear a little advice before taking off...

skark_burmer

1009 or pickup truck?

Nice wide tires if you have that option, otherwise you'll likely air down so have a pump or tank to air them back up.

Make sure the ATF and transfer case oil is good (full/fresh), they will be getting a workout.

If you have a 1009 that NP208 will be seeing a lot of work and the chain can overheat and have issues if you are getting really silly.
The 205's are pretty stout, so not much to worry about there.

If you have a 1009 watch out for bouncing and hopping while climbing. Thats the fast way to snap an axle.

Bring LOTS of beer, and floor it everywhere you go. :)

ajsmith184

Sounds like I am on the right track! Have new shocks I just picked up to install tonight...Trans freshly serviced, tcase full...

I have BFG Mud Terrains..They are almost brand new...I was told to air down to like 15psi....Seems a bit low..But Im not expert...

ajsmith184

Try youtube !
I did..I found a lot about silverlake...That was about it...I did find one of two guys with M1009s...Its actually the owner of Motorsource, Inc from Chicago...And a guy I went to college with (yeah I know, small world)

Anyway, knowing what I know of this guy..I take the video with a grain of salt...Not the brightest bulb.

K9Vic

1009 or pickup truck?
If you have a 1009 that NP208 will be seeing a lot of work and the chain can overheat and have issues if you are getting really silly.
The 205's are pretty stout, so not much to worry about there.
Only the M1031 and M1028A1 have a NP205, or any CUCV with the PTO as it maybe a M1028A2/3 as well. All others have the same NP208.

GreenBull

Just remember that everything that the engine has will not overcome a traction problem. I've driven the equivalent of both 1009 and 1008 on the pipeline/powerline roads and sand of the empty quarter of the Arabian Peninsula. Bias ply sand tires are the best but radials work. Fun is certainly a different thing than operational use though.

Don’t be afraid of airing down tires, be afraid of hitting something solid and knocking a bead off the rim while you are aired down though. Have fun but don't break the machine. Air the tires before you move off the sand to far. Side walls are made to flex, just not so far at high speed. Have fun.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks