• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who is,DOT Legal,Pulling a large trailer w/equipment

timark80

Hello,
I'm buying a 6x6, a tag/titled street legal truck from out of state,then driving it down here(FL).
How many of you folks are using these trucks for actual $$making worktrucks?
Plan on hauling equipment on a daily basis on public roads.
I need to know if I can legally do this in FL.
I have a class "A" cdl.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: What is,DOT Legal,Pulliig a large traier w/equipment

It will depend on the laws in your State. Give you DMV a call. In this State, there is a commercial license, that allows for , "for hire". I have "farm " tags" that allow me to haul, but only my own stuff, and not for hire.

Lee in Alaska

timark80

Thanks,
Talked to DMV last week and they confirmed a bill of sale and a title would get me street-legal.
I will check into it further asap.
Thanks,
Mark

Irv

tires on a commercial deuce

Military ndt tires are not legal on commercial vehicles, but not every cop knows that. The problem is that they have no commercial load rating, as it was explained to me. Solution: just put commercial tires on it and you're good to go. Ndt would wear out quickly on the pavement, anyway.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: tires on a commercial deuce

I think there are some DOT compliance issues in regards to lighting and such. What do you plan on buying and how large of a trailer are we speaking? What kind of CGVW are we thnking?

dc3coyote

RE: tires on a commercial deuce

Timark, Insurance, registration, and check with FLDOT, that is what you should need to get down the road.
All states should be the same, since your CDL will work in any state, Canada, and Mexica, so should what your marking requirements be.
uhhmmm coffee

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
You'll need also IFTA and HUT permits, safety triangles, conspicuity tape, correctly rated tie down chains, fire ext., a license plate light and center trio clusters on the truck.

A deuce will have very little legal load capacity left after some empty equipment trailers are attached. My 94' Talbert 10T tag weighs around 5300lbs(?) empty. 71' M35A2 towed load is only 10,000 lbs high-way, though I once saw a plate on something with 11 or 12K on it. M35A2 max high-way load is 10,000 cargo and 10,000 towed. This is not 20,000 towed, legally. The TM states 45MPH max speed at max load, and you may be a while gettig there.

My vintage NDC's have load ratings and DOT markings on the sidewalls. The sidewall ratings added up exceed data plate's 'Total lbs, Highway' by a factor of 2 or so.

The engine is rather small for the task and gets poor fuel economy. It may have a hard life and need good maintenance and extra service. The brakes and suspension seem able to handle more. I figure the army would chose a better vehicle when available and do whatever they wanted at other times. JimK

p.s.Talbert site has a picture/specs including military trailers

http://www.talbertmfg.com/products.html

p.s.s. Correction- My NDCC's...

Attachments

timark80

I'll be using a 10ton trailer, with a 13,000lbs(PT100 trackloader)with a mulching head.
About 18,000lbs total.
Local landclearing business.
The truck will be" not for hire".
I assumed it could handle it,like maybe a F700.
My Dodge 2500 is rated to pull 13,000!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plan on hauling equipment on a daily basis on public roads.
Your gonna use a truck that is nearly 40 years old for this? Good luck

timark80

Well... I won't be using it to pull the trailer everyday.
Probably more like 1 or 2 days a week,and within a 40 mile radius.
It will be more of a novelty than anything I guess.
Worst case scenario,put a for sale sign on it.
The truck only has 1500 miles and 40+hours on the 1991 motor.
Tires are the 46"Michelins,95% tread.

kcimb

timark80 said:
I'll be using a 10ton trailer, with a 13,000lbs(PT100 trackloader)with a mulching head.
About 18,000lbs total.
Local landclearing business.
The truck will be" not for hire".
I assumed it could handle it,like maybe a F700.
My Dodge 2500 is rated to pull 13,000!
Just because it's rated that doesn't mean it will.

Toyota says the 07 tundras CAN pull 10,500 pounds. But is it a good idea? Noo....

BEASTMASTER

hey, i used to pull a 1962 autocar ten wheeler dump truck every morning to jump start it .cause it didn't have a starter. oh did i mention i used my 1966 ford galaxie convertible ? you can pull anything

powerhouseduece

BEASTMASTER said:
hey, i used to pull a 1962 autocar ten wheeler dump truck every morning to jump start it .cause it didn't have a starter. oh did i mention i used my 1966 ford galaxie convertible ? you can pull anything
you are using a land yacht to start a dump truck? what is so strange about that?? that car probally had a higher tow rating than my ford ranger!!!