• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who is running on B100 bio diesel ?

Berend

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm thinking about making my own B100 Bio Diesel to put inside my Military trucks and Hummer. I own a M923A2 ,S&S M1078 with Cat 3116 and S&S M1081A1 with Cat C7.

Who is driving with B100 in there Vehicles and can share there experiences using it.

Thanks

Keith_J

Why? Made from waste oil, it has poor shelf life. Unless you get free waste oil, you will not save money. Even 5% bio has a poor shelf life.

Berend

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can get about 200 gallons wvo for free every six weeks from one supplier. The price of diesel fuel here in the Netherlands is €4,536 per gallon in dollars $5,53 per gallon.

if I make it myself its €1,51 per gallon about $1,84 per gallon. So the savings are big.

scottmandu

You may think running home made bio diesel is a cost savings measure. However if it causes problems, the HEUI pump and injectors are not inexpensive.

alpine44

Biodiesel has excellent lubricity and is recommended as the most cost effective lubricity enhancer for the Ultra Low Sulfur crap.
My 7.3L Navistar (T444E) injectors started hanging up after burning about 700 gallons of ULSD without additives. Adding Stanadyne diesel additive fixed that immediately. I wished I could have found B100 that day to see how effective that is.
The irony is that the worst diesel fuel for anything but the most modern injection systems comes out of the gas station nozzles these days.

Last edited:

Keith_J

Commercial bio is tested for corrosion, free alcohol and fatty acids plus oxidation resistance. Free waste triglycerides are quite resistant to transesterification.
I would rather pay for good fuel than rebuilt fuel system components.

coachgeo

IFFFFFFFFF..... you develop a solid way to produce and test your BioD you should be fine after you update any hoses that may need to be, and and deal with few cycles of replacing filters on truck (add a few inline at first) to catch the gunk getting cleaned out)..... overall making BioD is NOT an easy quick task. Very time consuming. Now if you have a BioD co-op in your area.... or semi close...... who are already doing a quality job of producing and quality testing BioD..... you could trade them your weekly 200gal WVO for x#gal ready to go BioD. That would be a SWEATTTTT deal

Last edited:

teletech

I ran close to 100% bio for about 6 years and a 6.9IDI international motor and in tens of thousands of miles I had no real trouble.
In the early days I had to replace a couple fuel filters, which I was warned would happen as the bio dissolved the old sludge in the tanks.
The motor needed fuel return hoses and o-rings at some point, but that's hardly uncommon for those engines so I'd consider it normal maintenance.
I know it's not a good idea to let bio sit around, but life happens and even after a couple years sitting the truck started up and ran fine.

The BD I ran varied, in the early days it was from a couple guys who were enthusiasts but still a pretty backyard operation, later I bought commercial fuel as it became available.
I'd still be running 100%, but the political tides have shifted (don't use food for fuel) so it's gotten harder to come by.
Lately I'm running 20% in the 6.9 as well as a couple New Holland I-6 motors in Ford MDTs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks