• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

who makes the best paint???

LIMVMAN

Who makes the best paint for my M1009? Will two gallons be enough for the job?..I'm painting it three color camo scheme....Most impotant should i have a couple beers when i try to put on the brown and black camo scheme?rofl? So i dont get to nervous putting on the two colors?

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
which paint is best?

Who makes the best paint for my M1009? Will two gallons be enough for the job?..I'm painting it three color camo scheme....Most impotant should i have a couple beers when i try to put on the brown and black camo scheme?rofl? So i dont get to nervous putting on the two colors?
Gillespie paints from rapcoparts.com are the easiest to apply and they look very good. if you dont do the jams you will use most of 1 gallon of 383 green on the truck, the black and brown only about 1 quart each. check out the posts by chevyrac66, cool vids of painting, one is with gillespie, one with sherman williams CARC. You can download the camo pattern fromt the resources tab. The camo pattern is pretty forgiving. Have a great time.

Which paint is best is ????? Each paint has it's own qualities, personally I think sherman williams is the most durable, thats why the military went with it. Gillespie is very good alternative.2cents

When i painted camo's i had Acyrlic enamel paint made up custom for me. It is very durable and lasts much longer, I added a small amount of hardner which made the surface very strong and durable. Too much hardner will create a gloss, so please be warned.
The gillespie is a (in my opinion) cheap industrial paint that scratches easilly! It also will lose its flatness and shines where you have repeated rubbing. it also fades out in a short time and turns chalky. I also had better luck using a detail gun instead of the quart gun in order to cut in the pattern. Be careful not to apply too much paint at the edges, it will show up as a shinier shade. This is more controlable with a detail gun. i suggest a HVLP gun to save costly paint and reduce overspray in the air and on your pattern.
If you decide to use the cheap paint, i also suggest to use a synthetic enamel reducer which will flow the paint much better than using paint thinner.

Irv

Latex paint (really!)

I have actually had very good luck with the new latex paint from Rodda. Before you laugh, hear me out. Having a rough time getting a custom color match in oil based paint, I asked a local industrial shop what they used, and they said they were basically forced into trying Latex. After trying several brands, they went with Rodda. All those Genie Lifts you see at construction sites are painted with Rodda latex. How good is it for vehicle paint? It's quite tough, actually. How well does it hold up to grease and diesel? Stunningly well, actually. In fact, being the slob I am, I spilled diesel all over the vehicle while fueling it up. It wiped right up and left literally no residue or discoloration. The reason for the new latex formulations is the EPA regulations on paint booths at industries. It costs many truckloads of dollars to outfit a paint booth to do oil based paints per EPA regs. By going with latex, it's infinitely easier/cheaper to do commercial painting. Applying it took some fiddling. Ended up with a HVLP sprayer from Harbor Freight for $20 and hot rodded it to run at more like 75psi and need to cut the paint with about 30% water and a little Flo-Trol. The other factor is rain. You need a few days to let it harden before any rain at all hits it. After that, it's tough as nails. Before that, it will bead up, discolor, and generally look nasty. That happened to me and I was horrified until the weather dried out and all the thousands/millions of bubbles in the paint pulled right back onto the vehicle and looked like nothing at all had ever happened. Weirdest thing I ever saw. All I did was take in a paint sample of an aircleaner or something and Rodda type matched it perfectly. About $30 a gallon or so. I'm sold on it. Cleanup is a breeze. Just soak everything in water. Irv

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recommend Gillespie. It weathers very nicely (less fading and is less prone to scratching than CARC)! Plus, you can get spray cans for touch-ups.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks