• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WHO' S A FULL TIME LMTV OVERLANDER, ANY OUT THERE?

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What towbar and baseplate do you use to flat tow your Ford?
hello hike,
I purchased the Blue Ox base plate for the Bronco.
Then I use the Blue Ox BX7365 Alpha 6,500lb Tow Bar But remember, I have a custom modified extender hitch that I connect to because of my overhang.

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
hello hike,
I purchased the Blue Ox base plate for the Bronco.
Then I use the Blue Ox BX7365 Alpha 6,500lb Tow Bar But remember, I have a custom modified extender hitch that I connect to because of my overhang.
I should have asked which braking system you use, too. I am looking at the Demco Air Force One for a permanent install—

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should have asked which braking system you use, too. I am looking at the Demco Air Force One for a permanent install—
Hike,
I don’t use a brake system.
The Bronc was 6100lbs and the 6x6 tows 21000, I don’t even know it’s back there.
In Colorado, I turned off the Interstate and into the sand to do a turn around, the Broncos front wheels turned to lock, and I plowed a field with it … never felt it until I caught glimpse of it on cameras. I crawl down the passes, cooling brakes.
Usually on the bad passes like Wolf Creek, and Powder River Pass, we disconnect and drive the tow behind the rig.
The Blue ox is a quick disconnect.
Hope that helps

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hike,
I don’t use a brake system.
The Bronc was 6100lbs and the 6x6 tows 21000, I don’t even know it’s back there.
In Colorado, I turned off the Interstate and into the sand to do a turn around, the Broncos front wheels turned to lock, and I plowed a field with it … never felt it until I caught glimpse of it on cameras. I crawl down the passes, cooling brakes.
Usually on the bad passes like Wolf Creek, and Powder River Pass, we disconnect and drive the tow behind the rig.
The Blue ox is a quick disconnect.
Hope that helps
Hmmm. That's what I was thinking until my brothers pointed out that most states require modulated and break-away brakes on any towed unit over 3,000#. In Texas its 4,500#. After reading the Texas code the only exception appears to be when the towed vehicle is a commodity. That's how those caravans of Toyotas towing other Toyotas headed south skirt the issue.

The Demco unit can be connected to our units trailer brake system—

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm. That's what I was thinking until my brothers pointed out that most states require modulated and break-away brakes on any towed unit over 3,000#. In Texas its 4,500#. After reading the Texas code the only exception appears to be when the towed vehicle is a commodity. That's how those caravans of Toyotas towing other Toyotas headed south skirt the issue.

The Demco unit can be connected to our units trailer brake system—
Yep
Rule of law is supreme. I’m an old retired LEO, I never bothered RVs , not worth the hassle. State guys might, especially after a crash.
I’ve only been pulled over once in 8 yrs by a state inspector, he was building a FMTV camper and wanted a tour. ☺ neat guy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks